Quantcast

Fusion 2007

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
sorry to bring this old thread up, just wondering who owns a patent of this suspension design in US?

“The Float Link suspension was designed in 2002 by Bodo Probst who worked with Horst in designing his famous 4-bar set-up. The float-link is nearly a conventional four-link system but with several advantages; the lower shock pivot is not mounted to the frame but to a special link on the chain-stay. This means the action on the shock is linear and can be tuned to the required transmission ratio. The rear triangle is suspended as a closed system and does not react directly against the front triangle, this isolation means the suspension remains fully active whilst being very efficient under pedalling. The dual lever action on the shock allows a compact design with a low centre of gravity. Since the shock is not directly connected to the front triangle it is isolated from side loads reducing friction and thus wear to the stanchion and bushes. All pivots use sealed roller or needle bearings to provide a smooth and durable suspension action.”
http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=663&Itemid=82

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Yes the shock is Floating and yes you would have to pay patent rights if you were the distributor of these frames here in the US. I looked into their bikes over a year ago and thought about bringing in their frames to the US. They are a pretty big bike company in Germany. Bigger than most. It’s a shame even though it is a FSR with a floating shock that you will not see them in the US anytime soon due to Specialized patent. I talked to them about 4 times to get more info about being a distributor here in the US for them, but it was hard with the language barrier. I do know there are a few guys racing the WCs on them and doing well too. Don’t know the guys names though.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Antonio Leiva is running with fussion ssangyong! He is our national Champ that gives the brand the glory! If seen his bike up and personal. The design is basically the evolution of the FSR, having a floating shock gives you a more suple feel, full plushness.

Antonio is sporting the new FSA Gravity 800mm bar. The bikes looks really nice up and close. It's fairly light, and it's very stiff in the rear. The 4x bike is also really nice. It's fairly the same as the bigger brother, just smaller and much lighter.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Yes the shock is Floating and yes you would have to pay patent rights if you were the distributor of these frames here in the US. I looked into their bikes over a year ago and thought about bringing in their frames to the US. They are a pretty big bike company in Germany. Bigger than most. It’s a shame even though it is a FSR with a floating shock that you will not see them in the US anytime soon due to Specialized patent. I talked to them about 4 times to get more info about being a distributor here in the US for them, but it was hard with the language barrier. I do know there are a few guys racing the WCs on them and doing well too. Don’t know the guys names though.
That's too bad, i really think Fusion makes some great bikes, the suspension works really well and i especially dig their handling. I always wondered why they didn't bring their products to the US, since they are bigger than most german boutique companies and i always thought they could do well overseas. Do you know when that specialized patent is running out by any chance?

Edit: maybe they can finance the patent fees by collecting some of their own when trek brings their new design to germany...

Here are some 2008 bikes:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
They ride great, but from my experience they don't last very long under fast riders.
Yeah, that reputation kept me from buying one of their frames, but supposedly they have finally cleaned up their act and adressed their quality issues this year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah, that reputation kept me from buying one of their frames, but supposedly they have finally cleaned up their act and adressed their quality issues this year.
My experience with them is only this past season, so I can't comment on before that, but i saw so many break I would never even consider buying one.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
that sucks the strength isn't up to par. I dig the low shock mounting position with the horst design