Quantcast

Future Of Geometry? Grim F@#$IN DONUT

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And FWIW I didn't imagine you'd go from a stance of FUCK wearing tight fitting clothes in a cycle sport where 80% of your effort goes into fighting against wind resistance to professing joining a sweaty members only club full of barely bressed buff guys flexing and grunting infront of mirrors.

How far/often do you actually ride that roadbike of yours in your dickies? I'm guessing not too far or often but bravo if you genuinely do smash out high mileage in your workwear.
01f549cda54ccbb6316ac8a8a1b1b711086a217252.jpg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No. My point was only this:
You cannot go AS fast on a roadbike in baggy clothes.
it's not narrowminded,
it's science.

a 44mile commute 3 days a week on a roadbike in workwear is pretty hardcore. You definitely have my respect.
How long does it take you? is it flat or hilly? What weather do you have? and do you really not find civvies hot and uncomfortable?
Genuinely interested.

Monday to Thursday I also commute by bike in workwear. Distance varies from 20-40 miles round trip dependent on weather and chosen route (road or off road). I rarely use my roadbike though. I use my emtb. it takes exactly the same time as it would if I took my roadbike, wore lycra and smashed the route at a high HR. but means I can ride in at a much lower HR. Turning up dripping with sweat with no shower for a days work would suck.

it's not narrowminded,
it's science.

a 44mile commute 3 days a week on a roadbike in workwear is pretty hardcore. You definitely have my respect.
How long does it take you? is it flat or hilly? What weather do you have? and do you really not find civvies hot and uncomfortable?
Genuinely interested.

Monday to Thursday I also commute by bike in workwear. Distance varies from 20-40 miles round trip dependent on weather and chosen route (road or off road). I rarely use my roadbike though. I use my emtb. it takes exactly the same time as it would if I took my roadbike, wore lycra and smashed the route at a high HR. but means I can ride in at a much lower HR. Turning up dripping with sweat with no shower for a days work would suck.
i agree that lycra is faster in that respect, but that's not what you said...
i live in Los Angeles, so weather is generally pretty moderate. anywhere between 55 to 110 freeedumb degrees depending on the time of the year. my commute takes me over the Sepulveda Pass(no joke to ride up and over), and the Conejo Pass each only in the neighborhood of 1200 foot climbs but pretty steep. it takes me about an hour and forty minutes give or take the amount of red lights i catch along the way and there are tons of them. i can ride that on my emtb(class 1) in about 20 minutes less time.
as far as my riding gear being uncomfortable or hot, i really can't say. for 15 years i raced BMX in the Arizona desert in jeans and a jersey. Dickies and jeans have been my riding/skate gear for over 40 years now. are they hot, maybe, but it doesn't bother me and i have no other relevant point to compare to...

Last edited:
it's not narrowminded,
it's science.

Genuinely interested.

Who.gives.a.shit...

The cycling cultural fixation on racer boyz is just silly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The earlier you realize that Road Riding® is literally a cult, the better. It operates just like a cult. They try to convince you to join, then they start trying to change your entire perception of the world and shit. Power meters, aero spokes, fractions of watts saved, nano-tube lubes, it never fucking ends, until you hit a car.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I ate a donut today, and am now suffering from pangs of remorse. I think I eat 5 donuts a year. And like, three sodas. Maybe 5.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I tried my hand at yeast donuts a couple of weekends ago. Had some fresh peaches, so made a fresh peach glaze and a pastry cream to fill the donuts. Finished with a dusting of crushed pistachios. Then...because I happened to have a few pounds of pork butt I'd smoked, I stuffed one full of pulled pork and an orange chipotle sauce instead of the pastry cream. Magnifique...

This also explains why I'm always trying to loose 10-15 lbs.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
joining a sweaty members only club full of barely bressed buff guys flexing and grunting infront of mirrors.
Off topic tangent alert..
I joined 24 hour fitness recovering from a broken clavicle. Its 1.5 miles away

Here there's a lot of sweaty fit chick's lifting and doing things it evens out the dudes.

There's also tons of weirdos that go between 11pm and 3am

But here's the story.

I noticed there was always an old lady like nearly nursing home age posted up on the exercise bikes right next to the men's bathroom.

I notice she wasn't really doing much on the bike, but she was watching every dude go into the bathroom with a big ol grin.

Kind of a role reversal on the creepy gym perv.
I found it rather amusing.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Off topic tangent alert..
I joined 24 hour fitness recovering from a broken clavicle. Its 1.5 miles away

Here there's a lot of sweaty fit chick's lifting and doing things it evens out the dudes.

There's also tons of weirdos that go between 11pm and 3am

But here's the story.

I noticed there was always an old lady like nearly nursing home age posted up on the exercise bikes right next to the men's bathroom.

I notice she wasn't really doing much on the bike, but she was watching every dude go into the bathroom with a big ol grin.

Kind of a role reversal on the creepy gym perv.
I found it rather amusing.
DAMMIT MOM

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The earlier you realize that Road Riding® is literally a cult, the better. It operates just like a cult. They try to convince you to join, then they start trying to change your entire perception of the world and shit. Power meters, aero spokes, fractions of watts saved, nano-tube lubes, it never fucking ends, until you hit a car.
one of us, one of us, one of us

he mocked from under his TLD A2 while riding his Evil™ Power BROker™ ebike 29er with a 37mm offset fork and levers from germany with calipers from England and pads from switzerland, dual shockwiz setup with 2lb reservoir on his air fork to make it feel like a coil, 7lb of tubeless inserts on DH dual ply tires....

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Once this was a thread about a bike solving a problem nobody had. Based on Barelli's response in the pb comments, it furthers my hypothesis this whole exercise is some bad jeremy clarkson-esque joke

Keep in mind that this whole video is supposed to be a joke, turns out pinkbike did something that no other brands tried to do before and it seems to be working for certain types of tracks.
It would be great now for pinkbike to test it properly (back to back testing, different tracks, timing...).
They were also very concerned with the solidity of the bike and Levy was very concerned of the bike snapping off at full speed.. I wasn’t really hahahahaha.
The goal of this video isn’t to compare 2 bikes but to test a funny idea.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Once this was a thread about a bike solving a problem nobody had. Based on Barelli's response in the pb comments, it furthers my hypothesis this whole exercise is some bad jeremy clarkson-esque joke
it's not about problem solving, but trying something that most bike companies wouldn't do as its not something they'd feasibly commercialize.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I also think it started as a joke, with the intended takeaway that bikes are pretty dialed right now, but found a kernel of insight in the goofiness.

Outside of the seat tube and head tube angle measurements, and a bit too much BB drop, the Grim Donut isn’t *that* crazy.

I mean my Gnarvana has the same reach and chainstay length, with a 63 HA, 76 ST, 13.5” BB. My takeaway is that coupling long(er) stays with longer front centers makes good sense for a certain type of riding.

And the 63 HA is slack, but it’s also fine for any trail I would ride the bike on - and where it starts feeling too big is right where my little bike starts feeling really Fast and fun.

When combined with a suitably long chainstay, I could Totally could see a 60deg HA being rad, At least for select elite racing environmentS.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Pinkbike could easily sell a whole bunch of the V2 version of these frames. They'd sell even more if they did it in carbon.

Given the state of the media industry, I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

I don't pay enough attention to Levy to be mad at him like the rest of y'all, but I think this was a very successful project for him and PB.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I'm just glad I got ya'll back on track. It was getting pretty, uh, grim.

I agree they made a thing, which sort of worked. Who knew.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think some of the geometry decisions were more based on just pushing it; didn't they state that they made the adjustments they did based on the differences between bikes now and 10 years ago? fix the seat angle and BB height and it would probably be more reasonable. it'd still be a very purpose built bike out in geometron territory.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
You can get a frame made for remarkably cheap when you look at the numbers. The issue is you are limited in suspension systems and layouts to their catalogue designs. Not sure how much extra a slacker HT, lower BB and taller TT would add to the overall but it didn't seem like a huge jump. Can also just go Nicolai and have a solid foundation to start with.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
dammit, where's @Vrock to run some numbers when you need him?!?
It's not that bad as I thought. They just want to test how it rides going down, so the most important part it's the LR.
2.95-2.5 it's around 18% progression, a bit low for a coil shock but it's doable.

Attachments

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, they definitely haven’t discussed kinematics/ Anti Squat and all that yet...
I think reality brought some of the design back to earth. The original design wasn’t actually functional so they had to use a catalog or off the shelf design. Also, they weren’t willing to pay for custom longer tubing so they had to come back a bit from their desired long geometry.