Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah dudes, mountain biking is immune to bro-tography

and certainly our athletes are clean and pure

tl;dr everybody sucks
Skidding is OK if you call it drifting.

I would just remind the endurbros that drifting requires the application of forward power so start pedaling through those corners.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Oh gawd, haven't we discussed that article at nauseum before?! high horse ridin' mother fucker.

What I've come to realize of the years of trying to retain/regain/maintain trail access 'round these parts is that cyclists aren't a homogenous group (surprise surprise, humans aren't all the same). People are drawn to biking (be it road, gravel, mountain, trail, enduro, e-) for their own reasons. And no one has the right to question what draws them there. Boohoo, mountain biking has become popular and you can't be alone in the forest anymore. That's because mountain biking is awesome. For many reasons.

I get it that access to wilderness and trails has created a situation where user groups (even within the "same" group - i.e. mountain bikers) are competing for a scarce resource. But that's just the way it is. I may be upset at the "dumbing down" of some of my favourite old-school trails, all in the name of getting more people on to them, but they're not my trails. They're public. And I'll bitch and moan for a bit (ok for a lot), but eventually I'll get over it. And if it gets too much, then I can go and cut new trail or petition the land manager to expand the offer for the types of trail I prefer...

But to moan about how "our culture" has changed and people are worse now than they were "back in my day"... You never owned that culture, and back in your day, people were elitist, entitled racists (oh wait...). Get off that high horse.

edited to add: in case it's not clear this is not targeted at you @Sandwich , but rather the author of the piece....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah dudes, mountain biking is immune to bro-tography

and certainly our athletes are clean and pure

tl;dr everybody sucks
stick to road biking professor neon

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
But to moan about how "our culture" has changed and people are worse now than they were "back in my day"... You never owned that culture, and back in your day, people were elitist, entitled racists (oh wait...). Get off that high horse.
What rubs me the wrong way is that trails are dumbed down because some folks think it is too hard to ride and we tolerate it because "we want to include more riders" in the sport. If you want easier trails then fucking go out and build them instead of modifying shit without respecting the original builders. "Back in my day" you were not changing things unless you first talked to the trail boss (either a club if an official trail or the person/group responsible for building/maintaining). So sticking to these unwritten rules and a culture of respect for other people's work and interests is all I am asking for.
And I agree, horses should note be on bike trails, if high or not. ;)

75707711.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What rubs me the wrong way is that trails are dumbed down because some folks think it is too hard to ride and we tolerate it because "we want to include more riders" in the sport. If you want easier trails then fucking go out and build them instead of modifying shit without respecting the original builders. "Back in my day" you were not changing things unless you first talked to the trail boss (either a club if an official trail or the person/group responsible for building/maintaining). So sticking to these unwritten rules and a culture of respect for other people's work and interests is all I am asking for.
And I agree, horses should note be on bike trails, if high or not. ;)

View attachment 150035
not me. i want trails to get harder to keep the gapers off.

i should also note that none of the trails in my region are particularly difficult.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh gawd, haven't we discussed that article at nauseum before?! high horse ridin' mother fucker.

What I've come to realize of the years of trying to retain/regain/maintain trail access 'round these parts is that cyclists aren't a homogenous group (surprise surprise, humans aren't all the same). People are drawn to biking (be it road, gravel, mountain, trail, enduro, e-) for their own reasons. And no one has the right to question what draws them there. Boohoo, mountain biking has become popular and you can't be alone in the forest anymore. That's because mountain biking is awesome. For many reasons.

I get it that access to wilderness and trails has created a situation where user groups (even within the "same" group - i.e. mountain bikers) are competing for a scarce resource. But that's just the way it is. I may be upset at the "dumbing down" of some of my favourite old-school trails, all in the name of getting more people on to them, but they're not my trails. They're public. And I'll bitch and moan for a bit (ok for a lot), but eventually I'll get over it. And if it gets too much, then I can go and cut new trail or petition the land manager to expand the offer for the types of trail I prefer...

edited to add: in case it's not clear this is not targeted at you @Sandwich , but rather the author of the piece....
it's cool man, I'm just pointing out that bro culture takes over in due time no matter what sport. So while we were escaping the doucheyness of roadies 10 years ago, now we're just as douchey. bad sportsmanship, overcrowding, STRAVAing, fucking neon everywhere...it was part of roadie culture for a while and now MTB is just as bad. I still love the sport but I think separating the sport of cycling into "we're cool, they're not" is dead now. That's why I can't ride highland, too much bro-brah space docking (and braking bumps) for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's cool man, I'm just pointing out that bro culture takes over in due time no matter what sport. So while we were escaping the doucheyness of roadies 10 years ago, now we're just as douchey. bad sportsmanship, overcrowding, STRAVAing, fucking neon everywhere...it was part of roadie culture for a while and now MTB is just as bad. I still love the sport but I think separating the sport of cycling into "we're cool, they're not" is dead now. That's why I can't ride highland, too much bro-brah space docking (and braking bumps) for me.
so dressing in a manner that differs from what you like makes it bro culture? are you proposing defined uniforms based on riding style?

and i blame the bike industry for overcrowding.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i just do my own thang, have fun, and ride with like-minded people. it's pretty entertaining spectating the rest of the crowd, whether at a popular local trail or lift served spot.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Skidding is OK if you call it drifting.

I would just remind the endurbros that drifting requires the application of forward power so start pedaling through those corners.
skidding is not drifting

And no drifting does not require drive from a wheel

If world cup dh racing hadn't become slightly bumpy roadie coasting the last 5 years, we'd probably still see reminders of this.

Drifting helps trails bed in to a shape appropriate to the trail speed momentum. Skidding just makes me want to use your footage to make fun of you with fart noises.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Not sure how I feel about a High Pivot as a trail bike. They have the Squat and Pedal Kick Back graphs on there. Also the jump from LG to XL is huge.....though the G2 pedalled well for a DH bike so maybe.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Not sure how I feel about a High Pivot as a trail bike. They have the Squat and Pedal Kick Back graphs on there. Also the jump from LG to XL is huge.....though the G2 pedalled well for a DH bike so maybe.
Wanna place bets on when this particular generation realizes why high pivots were abandoned the first time? Given what passes as 'mountain' biking these days, it may not even happen. Pumping through corners is quickly becoming a lost art as people just keep building bigger and bigger passenger mobiles that get harder and harder to move around.

If I was trying to set a speed record down a volcano or a ski slope, sure. But I have zero interest in one for a mountainbike. Even less so as a trailbike. High pivot bikes are a benefit mobbing in a straight line. Literally everything else suffers. The most exhausting trailbike to climb I've ever owned has less antisquat than that. It was exhausting because it constantly drove the rear wheel INTO square edge things you're trying to climb rather than apply drive as it works as a suspension component is supposed to. It made bumps bigger, not smaller when on the pedals.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'd say a big problem is that most new riders in the past decade 'learned' on groomed and manicured bike park trails with berms everywhere and the such where the trail does most of the work for the rider, so when they get on more natural trails, they literally don't know what the fuck they're doing, off-camber with flat corners?! UNRIDEABLE! When I did the weekly dh races in Whistler regularly there was a big segment of riders that would absolutely fly on the berm trails, but have a course on gnarly tech and they'd basically fall off the back. People want immediate gratification and to *feel* like they're faster than they really are, bermed flow trails give them that....not that there's anything wrong with some berms here and there, but they absolutely should not be the standard for corners. or prevalent on every trail.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
not that there's anything wrong with some berms here and there, but they absolutely should not be the standard for corners. or prevalent on every trail.
One of the local bike clubs has this mentality, or the people on the trail building crew have it at least. Berms everywhere. They even go in and add berms on old trails. And uphill berms.

And they aren't even built correctly or they use crappy sandy soil that just blows apart if you actually try to lean into it.

Its madness.

They should just do less work and leave some flat regular corners. :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd say a big problem is that most new riders in the past decade 'learned' on groomed and manicured bike park trails with berms everywhere and the such where the trail does most of the work for the rider, so when they get on more natural trails, they literally don't know what the fuck they're doing, off-camber with flat corners?! UNRIDEABLE! When I did the weekly dh races in Whistler regularly there was a big segment of riders that would absolutely fly on the berm trails, but have a course on gnarly tech and they'd basically fall off the back. People want immediate gratification and to *feel* like they're faster than they really are, bermed flow trails give them that....not that there's anything wrong with some berms here and there, but they absolutely should not be the standard for corners. or prevalent on every trail.
everyone should be forced to ride a rigid bike with cantilever brakes for a year before they're allowed to get a modern mountain bike. think of it as a squirrel catcher.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
more people should just ride a hardtail more often...I generally like putting a month or two on mine in the spring to tune up the skills, it absolutely makes you faster once you get back on the full susp. Line choice, unweighting, being smooth are all skills that more people should have, but the drive towards low long slack basically turns everyone into plow drivers.
And I mean, I've built a bunch of trails, some of them even have berms, they can be fun and useful when used appropriately.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
more people should just ride a hardtail more often...I generally like putting a month or two on mine in the spring to tune up the skills, it absolutely makes you faster once you get back on the full susp. Line choice, unweighting, being smooth are all skills that more people should have, but the drive towards low long slack basically turns everyone into plow drivers.
And I mean, I've built a bunch of trails, some of them even have berms, they can be fun and useful when used appropriately.
as much as i love hardtails, due to back pain issues i unfortunately can no longer trail ride on them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
He really really likes himself

a lot
he really doesn't like anybody else, it seems.

I think about switching to a hardtail now and again. Unfortunately the trails out here have so many shitty little bumps that it's just not that much fun. I just think people need to worry less and enjoy the ride more. So much fun to be had just out there gettin' it

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
High pivot bikes are a benefit mobbing in a straight line. Literally everything else suffers. The most exhausting trailbike to climb I've ever owned has less antisquat than that. It was exhausting because it constantly drove the rear wheel INTO square edge things you're trying to climb rather than apply drive as it works as a suspension component is supposed to. It made bumps bigger, not smaller when on the pedals.
I am kinda curious to try one in that sort of travel range. I'm totally with you on the downsides, from having ridden some high pivot DH bikes, but I could imagine a ~130mm travel bike mitigating the worse pumping to the point it works okay. Maybe.

Their AS graph is weird too. There's a substantial drop off from the 10t cog to the 16t, so I wonder what it's like in the gears you actually climb in.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am kinda curious to try one in that sort of travel range. I'm totally with you on the downsides, from having ridden some high pivot DH bikes, but I could imagine a ~130mm travel bike mitigating the worse pumping to the point it works okay. Maybe.

Their AS graph is weird too. There's a substantial drop off from the 10t cog to the 16t, so I wonder what it's like in the gears you actually climb in.
Does seem a little suspect that they don't show the gearing you'd be climbing in eh?

Still looks like a bouncy mess pedaling in the mach stupid gearing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Does seem a little suspect that they don't show the gearing you'd be climbing in eh?

Still looks like a bouncy mess pedaling in the mach stupid gearing.
Yeah. The graph Forbidden posts for the Druid looks better, but they don't say anything about the gearing so who the fuck knows.

1600967110636.png

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I wish there were at least a couple berms here. Garden pavers don't count.

Loose dogshit sand and gravel flat corners are hella fun though!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
One of the local bike clubs has this mentality, or the people on the trail building crew have it at least. Berms everywhere. They even go in and add berms on old trails. And uphill berms.

And they aren't even built correctly or they use crappy sandy soil that just blows apart if you actually try to lean into it.

Its madness.

They should just do less work and leave some flat regular corners. :(
This is what I'm struggling with here. They've taken existing trails, and placed useless berms in the fun DH sections and cut off the old lines. All it does is slow the trail down and make it easier to climb up. If anyone voices any objection, they tell us not to be so elitist, or that's what the land manager wants. It's really frustrating, because I don't know what to do... they seem oblivious (impervious/indifferent) to outside opinion.

I guess I could reach out and ask if there's a way to have a dialogue because lots of people seem to be unhappy and are voicing their opinion, but getting slapped down for speaking up.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
This is what I'm struggling with here. They've taken existing trails, and placed useless berms in the fun DH sections and cut off the old lines. All it does is slow the trail down and make it easier to climb up. If anyone voices any objection, they tell us not to be so elitist, or that's what the land manager wants. It's really frustrating, because I don't know what to do... they seem oblivious (impervious/indifferent) to outside opinion.

I guess I could reach out and ask if there's a way to have a dialogue because lots of people seem to be unhappy and are voicing their opinion, but getting slapped down for speaking up.

OK Boomer.... .:busted:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

You could offer to take over as trail boss/manager for a certain trail if that is possible. Or voice your concerns directly to the land manager if they (I guess a local trail org?) don't listen.
Here one of the trails sees a lot of sanitizing and berm building. Icing on the cake was that they filled in a patch of roots and 100 meters down the trail build a "rock garden" (randomly placed rocks that in no way make sense nor are fun to ride). Still haven't figured out who is doing this shit as the main trail builder claims he has nothing to do with it. Land owner sometimes brings his own folks in if they have spare time though.