Quantcast

Future of RatPac

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Forwarding a e-mail on the BBTC listserve.

Sorry for the delay with communications, but we have gone to Austin TX for the winter months. Yes the trail has been ridden quite a bit this spring, summer and fall, although now of course it is wet cold muddy and snow is likely at any moment if it is not falling as we live and breath....

The good news it that I (Karen) now work on the coal mines trail commision in in Cle Elum - Roslyn, and can bring you an update: The CMTC commission is heading up - along with the Mtns to Sound Greenway group (they have more money), a grass roots movement to create a Parks and Rec Department for Upper Kittitas County in order to enable the holding of trail easements which are other wise endangered or have no "home" per say. There are several trails which access and use is currently endangerd and we hope to include access and specific use for user groups to selected trails which will form a type of trail system in our area. The development of a Parks and Rec commission will go before the voters next November in Kittitas County, so keep those finger crossed! Part of the deal is that the user groups will need to agree to respect and maintain and repair the trails, and keep off private lands that they run through (basicaly stay on the trail for the most part). So there is some work to be
done with educating the community regarding what is to come.

I hope to have more information on a more up to date website soon. Stay tuned,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
Karen & Michael
Cle Elum Bike & Hike
512 789 5878
509 312 9679 (cleelum number)
509 674 4567 Bike Shop (closed till spring)

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I've been gone for a while (>2 months backpacking in Europe)...so is Ratpac still around? seand's post makes it sound like it's gone. Man, I love that trail...definitely one of the best out there.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Ugh, no, it's not. Just under snow for a while.
And, as Borrego Kid will attest to, will be ridable once the snow melts in spring. there's a new road across about 1/4 of the way down that obliterated the loop de loop switchback section. But, otherwise, for now, the rest is still there....

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i was speaking with Dennis (rides a silver bighit with an avy rear shock) and he said that they did a last lap down it and the land owner told him that nobody else will be allowed down ratpac because it is on his property. then a road got punched through the trail...

all summer i was looking at logging tape...if the trail is still there, i cant imagine its going to be there for long...esp if what Dennis told me is true :(

i didnt mean to sound like it was gone....i just meant we had a blast on the trail this passed summer and to know 1 - a road is punched through 2 - the land owner doesnt like bikers and said nobody else is allowed and 3 - a resort is going in in those parts....it cant be too long before its a trail we only know through memories....right?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Probably best to go to the source back that the start of this thread. If the builders don't know the scoop, no one else really does.
My gut feeling is that it will still be ridable in the spring.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i really really hope so. we had a plan to camp there...sleep during the day, and do shuttle runs at night....ratpac at night...what a cool way to spend a warm summer evening! :)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Borneo said:
Probably best to go to the source back that the start of this thread. If the builders don't know the scoop, no one else really does.
My gut feeling is that it will still be ridable in the spring.
Borneo, I havent been around CE for a while but the guys at Plum Creek had no problem with the trail, that I spoke with. They just didnt want to see the stunts get any crazier. They did say that the upper portion would probably need cleaning up after they were done. I am guessing its still possible to get up there. They were going to keep the road open for the logging till the end of December.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Borregokid said:
Borneo, I havent been around CE for a while but the guys at Plum Creek had no problem with the trail, that I spoke with. They just didnt want to see the stunts get any crazier. They did say that the upper portion would probably need cleaning up after they were done. I am guessing its still possible to get up there. They were going to keep the road open for the logging till the end of December.
So does anyone now if the early snow melt means RatPac is ridable?

If it is it would be the first time I did it without it being in the 90's and dusty as hell. :D

Any Cle Elum riders got their ears on?

Cable_Guy

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
i would assume it's alright right now. I'd give it a week and it should be good. The snow is melting pretty fast around here. i'll try to find out sometime later this week.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
if we've lost rat pac, thats a horrible thing.

that trail is fun ****. it was close enough to yakima that i could get there and back in an afternoon. it will be missed

stacy1

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
OFF 410
Went up there yesterday,the gates are open and there is alot of equipment up the road. They have started hacking through the second entrance to the trail. It is pretty messy. When we found the trail after a good search, it was pretty slimy and some snow. I am not sure what there plan is but I am sure they don't really care about perserving the trail. S

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
stacy1 said:
Went up there yesterday,the gates are open and there is alot of equipment up the road. They have started hacking through the second entrance to the trail. It is pretty messy. When we found the trail after a good search, it was pretty slimy and some snow. I am not sure what there plan is but I am sure they don't really care about perserving the trail. S
I am surprised that they are still up their logging. Its going to take some work to make it rideable, maybe a lot but maybe not that much. The trails above Roslyn were cleared or open after the logging. Only problem now with the trail is that three roads cut across it, still there is decent biking on the ridge, Rat Pac isnt the only place.

Cable_Guy

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
me and tim have been scouting for a new line down the ridge. We'll see what we can do. The only porblem is it'll be hard to make a whole trial with just the two of us working on it.