Quantcast

Future of Santee to Sycamore Canyon

Gardner

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
Santee, CA
There will be a JPA (joint powers authority) meeting for Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves Friday October 3rd at 1:00 p.m. at the Visitor's Center/Ranger Station.

There will be an update on the Stowe Trail and the Trans County Trail.

Rumor has it that the County is balking at the amount the Marine Corps want for the land south of the south gate. At a recent opening of the Visitor's Center Diane Jacob was proud to announce that the land would come on line in the next couple years.

The purchase of this land would make it legal to ride from Santee up to the Preserves. This is one of our most loved rides. If you can, please attend this meeting and let the officials there know that trail users need some County love.

As a side note, the county recently bought land near Ramona for 30.4 million.

Gardner

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
Santee, CA
At the meeting I learned a couple things. The Marines have asked $7.4 million for the land that the county wants to purchase. That's about $26,000/acre which seems pretty steep. The County was not expecting to spend anywhere near that amount. They would have liked around $3 mil. Because of certain constraints on the deal there are some funding sources not available (grants). There may be a chance to find some supplemental funding sources/partners for this deal.

Diane Jacob has worked years on this deal and will not give up on account of cost. She will meet with base officials in early December. She asks that we not muddy the waters beforehand. I'll let ya'all know the status as it develops. Diane Jacob knows how important this purchase is for mountain bikers and I let her know we're here if she needs anything from us.

As for MTRP North, I've heard "things", I don't know how cool they are yet. I still haven't heard details but it looks like there will be two connections to Sycamore, one west from the main road intersection and another dropping into the parking lot at the end of Sycamore Canyon Road. I guess that would be our third option to reach Martha's.

Sarabia

Chimp
Aug 22, 2013
hey

i have also attend that meeting and i have got lots of information about Stowe Trail and the Trans County Trail , it was a great event and i also met there lots of nice peoples