Quantcast

Future of the DW Turner DHR?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What pisses me off is that in Yurp the distributors still ask approx. $3000 for this frame. :thumbsdown:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Where are most of you buying your DHRs? I'm looking into getting one for next season to replace my 2013 Glory that has been meh

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'll sell my 2011 for $1200 complete plus extra wheels, tires and beers. Size L. Poor baby hasn't seen trail time for over a year! I blame enduro and kids and life and stuff.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I'll sell my 2011 for $1200 complete plus extra wheels, tires and beers. Size L. Poor baby hasn't seen trail time for over a year! I blame enduro and kids and life and stuff.
sheebus christ, a complete dw dhr with extra wheels for 1200? its surely worth more than that

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone spotted a cheap source for boxxer teams? Half thinking of updating my fork for some reason and i like my pike.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just forced Fox polymer bushings into CCDB's 14.7mm eyelet to be able to reuse DHX shock hardware, hence made my DHR unrideable.

Quick q: what grease gun tip do you use to lube them Zerks?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Just forced Fox polymer bushings into CCDB's 14.7mm eyelet to be able to reuse DHX shock hardware, hence made my DHR unrideable.

Quick q: what grease gun tip do you use to lube them Zerks?
bought their kit off the turner website ( gun+ grease )

i tried it out really quick one day and i did not understand how it worked... the old grease gets squeezed out of the outer diameter while you squeeze new grease through the middle?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
M-prep or similar grease. Usually just a few shots is needed, you don't have to purge the old grease, but once you get enough in there, it will start to purge through any gaps. The main axles are scored on the inside, but not in a way that makes the grease easily circulate to the outside, just enough that it fills a little channel that will keep the bushings lubricated. Some people go a little overboard on the greasing, but you just have to know you are pumping in some new grease IME. There are some good write-ups on mtbr's Turner board if you want more info and pictures. I ran a turner 6pack for 6 years and the bushings never gave me any issues, I did grease it every once and a while. I replaced the bushings when I upgraded the shock, at which point the horst link bushings were a little loose (but not sloppy with play). Not sure if the DHR was the same as my Highline, with the needle bearing main pivot, but that arrangement was different than my 6pack, but I still greased it the same and didn't seen to have any issues.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
M-prep or similar grease. Usually just a few shots is needed, you don't have to purge the old grease, but once you get enough in there, it will start to purge through any gaps. The main axles are scored on the inside, but not in a way that makes the grease easily circulate to the outside, just enough that it fills a little channel that will keep the bushings lubricated. Some people go a little overboard on the greasing, but you just have to know you are pumping in some new grease IME. There are some good write-ups on mtbr's Turner board if you want more info and pictures. I ran a turner 6pack for 6 years and the bushings never gave me any issues, I did grease it every once and a while. I replaced the bushings when I upgraded the shock, at which point the horst link bushings were a little loose (but not sloppy with play). Not sure if the DHR was the same as my Highline, with the needle bearing main pivot, but that arrangement was different than my 6pack, but I still greased it the same and didn't seen to have any issues.
The DHR is different. No bushings but 8 bearings, each one covered with a threaded metal cap. There are no exits for the old grease so it's a bit of a mystery for me as well. I once unscrewed one of the caps and then had difficulties with screwing it back on because the thread in the frame was faaar from perfect.

My linkage sqeaks like a mofo but moves smoothly.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i have unofficial word from a Turner supported rider, and i quote, "i think they're making a 27.5 version". and emphasis on unofficial.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
And 'think'
so it really means absolutely nothing. but i still wanted to mention it. after my customer service experience and as much as ive enjoyed my dhr, id hate to think of a world without a turner dh bike on the market. and doubly so while they are still using the DW

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
so it really means absolutely nothing. but i still wanted to mention it. after my customer service experience and as much as ive enjoyed my dhr, id hate to think of a world without a turner dh bike on the market. and doubly so while they are still using the DW
I have no idea, I was just messing with you. It wouldn't surprise me if something like that existed within the next two years.

But you know where dh bikes sit in most companys' priority hierarchy these days.

Like JoeG from santa cruz said: "It's not about selling to riders, it's about selling to high paying customers"

........or something like that :D

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Are you saying the polymer bushings worked on your CCDB despite the .3mm difference?
Nope, but I made the .3mm difference disappear with some sandpaper, file and a bit of elbow grease. :D

I saw a dark red DHR with a black rear triangle at Thunder today, what a sexy bike. :drool:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
sent DT an email. Responded immediately

"No plans for a new DHR 27.5 at this time. Tooling money heading toward carbon and alloy Sultan next. Huge money to play in the carbon world, so I can't multi model develop at my size. I have no idea when Turner Bikes will have the money for a new DHR when I know I need at least 2 more new trail models in carbon ohhhh say, 2 years ago!

Thanks for the support, sorry there is nothing to keep you on a Turner Bike in the future. "

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Since the plastic Burner turned into a Giant Reign, y'all could get your 650BDWCarbonDH fix with a Glory advanced. I hear they are efficient.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
@csermonet Useful but no likey.:thumbsdown:
I blame Tim Coleman from NSMB. :D
I am sad too. My favorite bike I have ever owned. Granted I haven't owned or ridden a huge variety of dh bikes, every one I have had the chance to ride I have literally been blown away by how much I preferred my dhr. Although poor bike setup and just the fact that I am used to mine has more to do with that.

Since the plastic Burner turned into a Giant Reign, y'all could get your 650BDWCarbonDH fix with a Glory advanced. I hear they are efficient.
I have read good things about them, and liked a new reign that I got to try. I liked supporting a US brand though. and the customer service has been great. I really like DT's approach to building bikes. He seems to keep it simple with no gimmicks. im sure i could get on well with many other bikes out there, I just have a boner for turners since i've enjoyed my dhr so much over the years

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I wasn't really serious, even if the Glory is a capable bike. Why doesn't Turner just make an aluminum 650B DHR though? Tooling would be far cheaper, and i just don't see how any of the smaller companies like Pivot can make a profit on carbon DH bikes. That market is tiny to begin with and they are niche players in it.

The American Made aspect has been a rather strong selling point for Turner in the past, so by sticking with aluminum they would definitely find some customers among the ridemonkey reactionaries.