Quantcast

Future of the Turner DHR

SCARY

Not long enough
That's kinda funny.Thats part of the reason I'm going to sc from intense.Is it 4 years for the m9 without any change?

I did hear from my shop owner that the dhr was still going to be produced, but as a "to order" bike.I guess the 29rs are where the money is and that's where you gotta put your efforts.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's kinda funny.Thats part of the reason I'm going to sc from intense.Is it 4 years for the m9 without any change?
Yeah but they also have the 951, which arguably fills exactly the same role. That bike just went from spindly thing, to getting new dropouts, to getting new wheels an leverage rate curve.

I wouldn't surprised if the m9 drops off or goes carbon.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No carbon or 650b, which of course gives us...the DHR 29er!!!

But all kidding aside, I love my DHR. The geometry and suspension are top notch. Unfortunately, the rider is not. :(
My DHR is faster than me too.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
true, but you're working with a vendor you've had a relationship for what, 15, 20 years? that's also in the US? it shouldn't be impossible to make a running change (like they did with the headtube issue) should the need arise, or make an update, should you prefer it. ...
The vendor you're talking about, SAPA, shut down it's frame production and Turner had to realign with a small projecty company that had some remnants of the SAPA staff and start all over with them. SAPA going away really set back US frame production for many companies.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I wanted to mention that there is a major DH frame seller making carbon bikes that has had an ongoing problem with cracking in multiple locations. It's surprising to me that it's been kept under wraps and not blown up by the DH community that they have the issues they are, but from what I can tell, it's because said company had a batch of warranty frames waiting in the wings.

I know that carbon frames are failing at a similar rate to what aluminum did in the past...but for some reason, we don't hear as much about it.

Could it be that the consumer is learning to work with the company instead of slather their grievances on the net? Or is it people who have dumped $6k plus and are unwilling to be chided about their purchases that shattered?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wanted to mention that there is a major DH frame seller making carbon bikes that has had an ongoing problem with cracking in multiple locations. It's surprising to me that it's been kept under wraps and not blown up by the DH community that they have the issues they are, but from what I can tell, it's because said company had a batch of warranty frames waiting in the wings.

I know that carbon frames are failing at a similar rate to what aluminum did in the past...but for some reason, we don't hear as much about it.

Could it be that the consumer is learning to work with the company instead of slather their grievances on the net? Or is it people who have dumped $6k plus and are unwilling to be chided about their purchases that shattered?
now you have to tell us

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The vendor you're talking about, SAPA, shut down it's frame production and Turner had to realign with a small projecty company that had some remnants of the SAPA staff and start all over with them. SAPA going away really set back US frame production for many companies.
SAPA shut down in what, 2012? So Turner had a minimum of a year and a half to two years of production with them? And then they switched producers...which would make it easier/harder to make changes to the frame in the process?

I think turner plainly shot themselves in the foot on this one. They released a frame that was $1000 more expensive than almost anything else on the market (at the time). There wasn't a lot of hype, because nobody could afford it. I really can't see how you can rationalize it as a warranty issue. Everybody knows how good Turner's warranty is. That's why you buy a turner bike. It's a great company, nobody is doubting that, but you make it sound like the sole issue was that there were a few cracked frames and suddenly nobody wanted one. The problem was that for almost $1000 less you could get a carbon Santa Cruz, or a Trek that won the world cup, or a demo that your bro could get you a deal on so you "only" paid 2000 for it.

I think the reality is that this was a great frame with cutting edge geo and suspension, but it came with a price, and MOST people couldn't afford it....so they bought other frames. And then, the rest of the industry caught up to the DHR, and the price was even harder to justify.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I think the reality is that this was a great frame with cutting edge geo and suspension, but it came with a price, and MOST people couldn't afford it....so they bought other frames. And then, the rest of the industry caught up to the DHR, and the price was even harder to justify.
Turner's price reduction on the DHR frame to around $2000 basically confirms your comments.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well I'm buying them somewhere. I just figured if you had a bunch that you didn't see yourself using (every time you mention them it sounds like a burden), I'd buy some. I want some for my trail bike.

I can't really help with all the emotional turmoil over a bike part sale though.

*vibes*

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Well I'm buying them somewhere. I just figured if you had a bunch that you didn't see yourself using (every time you mention them it sounds like a burden), I'd buy some. I want some for my trail bike.

I can't really help with all the emotional turmoil over a bike part sale though.

*vibes*
wait, didn't you already have some? Didn't you review them for Blister Gear? Did they make you send them back, or did you break the set you had....?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
are you guys talking about enve rims??

I was drooling over a pair in teh LBS ... but (1) I don't like the spoke/nipple hole dealio and (b) the fuggin' price on them laced to DT350s was like $2,100! They could be the best, stiffest wheel, make people like me AND ride faster and I still couldn't drop that like of cash on wheels.

Also, DHR.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Has anyone ordered a DHR during the period of mid August to beginning of September? If I remember correctly, the DHR was further discounted. I think the frame prices were ~$1350 for the raw and ~$1650 for ano.

Back then I was told that I would only get half of my trade in credit because of this sale. Now that the prices are back up to what it was before the "sale", they're telling me that I would only get half the credit because the current price is a sale price...
Not sure how to proceed in order to convince them to give me full credits... :(

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Has anyone ordered a DHR during the period of mid August to beginning of September? If I remember correctly, the DHR was further discounted. I think the frame prices were ~$1350 for the raw and ~$1650 for ano.

Back then I was told that I would only get half of my trade in credit because of this sale. Now that the prices are back up to what it was before the "sale", they're telling me that I would only get half the credit because the current price is a sale price...
Not sure how to proceed in order to convince them to give me full credits... :(
I ordered one last summer. Got it the 1st week of August. Ordered mid-July.
I don't recall prices ever being lower than the $1695 for raw. I got one sans shock for a couple bucks cheaper.
And yeah, I asked about trade in and was told no, since it was a sale price. Trade in only counts towards full retail.

Now, I'm not sure. Since it's not listed as a sale.

FWIW, I got $400 for my '08 with shock/headset and guide. So $300 trade would have been a better deal.