Quantcast

Future World Cup Venues

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds like for 2023 they are thinking of a mega WC with every conceivable discipline within cycling competing. Why not Whistler? It's a proven olympic venue. Pure conjecture on my part.
Whistler has already publicly stated they are working towards a WC. Their track is under construction, so the timing would certainly line up. Especially for an event of the size it sounds like it will be.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Whistler has already publicly stated they are working towards a WC. Their track is under construction, so the timing would certainly line up. Especially for an event of the size it sounds like it will be.
I'm not sure we really have much in the way of a road course if they are indeed looking at Mega worlds

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
First stop in 2020 in Portugal.

Danny Hart taking a run from 2016.
Reminds me more of a rad trail cut through the woods than some of the tracks we have seen lately.
Will be interesting to see how they tape it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nevermind no US stop in 2020, are there Olympics in July or something? There's no race happening from June all the way to the end of August.

That's almost as bad as the first race being in March and then the second being in June.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I'm not sure we really have much in the way of a road course if they are indeed looking at Mega worlds
If they will turn highway 99 into a clusterfvck at the drop of a hat for Ironman / Fondo I'm sure we could put together a decent road course for a real cycling event. Vancouver to Lillooet would be a solid mens road race course.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Seems like a lot of places normally get funding together at kind of the last minute for their bid for a WC they want to host the next year.

2 years out with some big gaps leaves some room for another venue to make a bid and host and extra, no? Or is it pretty well set in stone at this point?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I want to say Set in Stone, but with the UCI lizzards well known thirst for cash, hell anything is possible.
Shit, lets not make this about the UCI being shitty, they're bringing us more races (which we've been asking for) with some new locations/trails that haven't been on the circuit for years, and if they're able to squeeze in one or two more over the next year, I'm not gonna be shitting on them for wanting some money for it. They're doing what we want them to do for once, and I for one would welcome our UCI lizard overlords if they bring us more races.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Shit, lets not make this about the UCI being shitty, they're bringing us more races (which we've been asking for) with some new locations/trails that haven't been on the circuit for years, and if they're able to squeeze in one or two more over the next year, I'm not gonna be shitting on them for wanting some money for it. They're doing what we want them to do for once, and I for one would welcome our UCI lizard overlords if they bring us more races.
Nope, not gonna bow to the UCI.
They have proven over many many years what they are.
The only reason they are "trying" is Enduro has put the pressure on.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Should be easy to ride that fucker up on an e-fatbike!
They should do an e-fatbike race up it!

But get rid of the pedals and just give the motor a throttle! And maybe a stronger motor. And more suspension! And bigger fatter tires! They could call it Enduro!

But seriously, it looked like there was a lot of flatter pedaling sections up near the top. Seems like when a race mixes steep and flat, the race is won or lost on the flat part, not the steep part. Maybe that was just the camera though.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Awe, your story is cute. Ask anyone who raced the last NORBA national at Snowshoe if they remember any gravel and no peanut butter.

Your excellent wet conditions ride on established trails came at the expense of all of us who spent years pushing the peanut butter out of the way.
At the 2004 NORBA national the peanut butter was so thick in practice my wheels didn't roll.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
At the 2004 NORBA national the peanut butter was so thick in practice my wheels didn't roll.
I got yelled at by security during an impromptu Roman Candle war. Totally socked in by clouds, you could pour gasoline on that mountain and it would not burn.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They need a world cup at this place with a 120% slope
Any trail with too many loose rocks is a bad track in my book. I want to crash because I lack skills or strength not because I didn't kiss a leprechaun this morning.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
UCI rulebook gets an update:

- After leaving the track, riders now have to re-enter the course between the two course markers where they exited rather than at the exact same spot.

- eMTB races are exempt from the no electronic bike rule.

- In DH and enduro events, riders are allowed to run two different wheel sizes on the same bike.

- In the DH qualifying round, riders will start in reverse order using their most recent World Cup standings.

- In DH finals, start order is the reverse order of qualifying results (fastest last).

- Inclusion of eMTB events.

- Inclusion of pump track events.

- Inclusion of Alpine snow bike events.

Now the lizards will sell us mixed wheel size bikes aswell. Yikes!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
UCI rulebook gets an update:

...Now the lizards will sell us mixed wheel size bikes aswell. Yikes!
Too late, the Lizards have already established a beach-head in their contingency plans.

Liteville and Foes are the two that come to mind off the top.

But then again, I think I'm a lizard as well. My DH bike is 27.5/26 and the trailbike will also get a 27.5 front for a trial run.
( Mattoc fork, so 26/27.5 compatible with included parts, as well as a possible 10mm reduction in travel to keep the geo )

I will say it again, bike wheel size should be related to physical size. We scale childrens bike wheelsize to their physical size, Why do we stop doing this when we are "fully grown"? Note that does not mean you must ride a size x bike if you are size y.

Ride what size works for you including the option of rocking a mullet. :shocked:

Fuck the Lizards :pirate:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I will say it again, bike wheel size should be related to physical size. We scale childrens bike wheelsize to their physical size, Why do we stop doing this when we are "fully grown"?
Because people would poke (more) fun at me if I showed up on a Transition Ripcord?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ripcord - really? You and Woo twin brothers? :busted:
I was so close to making that one about Woo....

Nah I just have short legs. The Canyon website bike fit thingy makes fun of me and then errors when I enter my inseam and height. Fucken stumps.