Quantcast

FYI, Info on WIM final!!!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
From Round and Round:

Hello everybody. This is it. The email you have all been waiting for. Well...maybe some of you have been waiting for!! I have been to Silver Mt this past week, rode some trails, watched the trail crew up there build some trails, and generally hammered out all the details for what is shaping up to be the most epic WIM Series Final in history!

Lots of info to share so hang in there with me. I will try to go in somewhat of an order, so let’s start with Friday. Silver Mt will be open on Friday June 24th for Pre-riding both XC and DH Courses. I plan to have both courses fully marked by Thursday. You will have to take the Gondola to access both courses and unfortunately, to get the good rates on Saturday and Sunday, you will have to pay full price ($12.95 for one ride, $20 for all day) for Pre-riding on Friday.

Lodging: Call Morning Star Condos at 866-344-2675. Brand spankin new Condos that they want to show off with a discounted rate. For other options go to www.skisilver.com. Primitive camping at no charge will be available near the bottom of the Downhill. Porta potty only provided. Your on your own for water and pack out your trash please.

For Saturday and the XC Final; Gondola Fees-racers will get one trip up and down included with entry. Family and Team Crew People will receive discounted tickets at $6.00 per person for unlimited Gondola access. These discounted tickets will have to be purchased by the racer at registration. No discounted tickets will be available at the main ticket booth!! if you are part of a team, limited driving access to the top will be available. What we ask you to do is get your team together in the main parking lot (just off I-90) and carpool the rest of the way to the top. All vehicles driving up the mountain will have to be up to the top no later than 9 AM and will have to remain at the top until XC racing is finished for the day. Driving directions to the top: follow the signs through Kellogg leading to Wardner. Follow the main road up the hill through Wardner till pavement ends and turn right. From this point just stay on the main Dirt Road for a long drive to the top.

Laps and Start times. BEGINNERS TAKE SPECIAL NOTICE AT START TIME CHANGE!!!! Pro, Semi-Pro, Experts will start at 10 AM and go 3 laps. Sports will start at 12:30 and go 2 Laps. BEGINNERS WILL START AT 12:45 and go 1 Lap.

This is a climbing course, so bring your climbing legs. As previously stated, this course will be epic. As quoted from Jason the Single Speeder after our ride last Wednesday, “This is what I thought a Western Mountain Bike Race would be when I moved here.” Jason moved here from the Detroit area last August.

Now for the Downhill. You Gravity Addicted Mountain Bikers are in for a real treat. The DH will be top of the mountain down to the Valley floor. That’s right...12 to 15 minutes of gravity, jumps, trees and pure fun!!! Gondola Fees- $6.00 for Saturday and $4.00 on Sunday. That’s $10.00 for the weekend of unlimited Gondola accessed practice and racing. And practice on Saturday....ALL DAY LONG!!! We know that the XC course crossing the DH and holding up practice for you guys is a sore spot, so we requested the Trail Crew at Silver to make sure the courses are separate and they did just that. So practice starting at 9 AM on Saturday until the Gondola stops running Saturday evening! And then practice again Sunday Morning until racing starts at 11. Keep in mind your run times and the 20 minute Gondola ride so you don’t miss your start time. Pit areas for the DH will either be at the bottom of the DH or the parking lot of the Gondola just before you board for the trip up. From the bottom of the DH you will have to spin on a paved trail approx 5 mins back to the bottom of the Gondola. There are a couple of road crossings on that trail, don’t let a Kellogg local turn you into road kill!!

That is all I can think of for now. If you have more questions, email me or call the office. For now we are outta here for the weekend for The Tour of the Coeur’d’Alenes. Have a great weekend!

-- Eric Ewing
Round and Round Productions
www.roundandround.com
509-455-7657

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Thanks for posting Joy - for some reason I get some of the emails and other I don't. I'll be there...to take pictures, so everyone - look your best!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Five said:
You're not going? I'll photoshop you jumping over the gondola :)
Yea, i threw in the WIM towel after Spoke 1. If they werent bunched up so tight i maybe could have gone, but i wanted to do the hood series also.

That wouuld be cool. Maybe photoshop me into the background of every pic standing in the woods or something.... haha

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
oly said:
Yea, i threw in the WIM towel after Spoke 1. If they werent bunched up so tight i maybe could have gone, but i wanted to do the hood series also.

That wouuld be cool. Maybe photoshop me into the background of every pic standing in the woods or something.... haha
creepy! :eek:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
oly said:

hahaha - that would be hilarious. It'll be like a "Where's Waldo" thing - Where's Oly!

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
We went and rode it today and it is crazy town!!! It isn't just a huck course like beacon it has everything you could imagine huge tables, gaps, retardedly steep shoots where you just litteraly hall ass untill your hands cramp onto your bars tight tress slick roots, road gaps, drops. Come prepared to ride next weekend cuz the DH is off the heezy. Be prepared to Haul ass

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Slider said:
We went and rode it today and it is crazy town!!! It isn't just a huck course like beacon it has everything you could imagine huge tables, gaps, retardedly steep shoots where you just litteraly hall ass untill your hands cramp onto your bars tight tress slick roots, road gaps, drops. Come prepared to ride next weekend cuz the DH is off the heezy. Be prepared to Haul ass
Wow. Sounds like a pretty good course! I better eat my wheaties that weekend! :D

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Slider said:
is it ruff?

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
parts are some parts just tons of baby heads just rollin under you, as your flying down one of the hella fast decent section. you have to be uses flying over loose rough stuff cuz breaks will only send you flying and relinquish all controll of general direction

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
They should have that and you should be there it is a real fun course. Good News I talked to Silver yesterday and they are up there doin more trail work all week so it is gonna be even radder than last weekend.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I'm soo ready. They planned it perfect. If you take all the race runs and all the practice runs from all the other races in the series (both) and combine the course time, you will be lined up for one run at silver. That's great!!

I think we are lucky to race both the shortest and longest DH races in the world.

anyway, despite my complaining, i'm going. practice Schweitzer on saturday and race on sunday.

so how big are these road gaps that are in the race?

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Another email from Round and Round:

Hi again. This very well could be the last WIM email for the season so I could not pass up the opportunity to babble on one last time. Actually there is some important stuff here.

First, make sure you go to our website and check out the points update. There is a link right from the main page that will take you to the points. Check them out and find out where you stand. If you notice problems with the points, be sure to let the folks in Registration know when you are there at Silver Mt. So we can make corrections. On Saturday, the Finals Award Ceremony will be held after all racing is completed and the Beginner Awards are over. And the Ceremony will take place at the top of the Gondola. On Sunday after the DH, we will have the normal awards ceremony to be followed by the Finals Award Ceremony. DH Awards will take place at the base of the Gondola on the patio. Wow, that’s kind of fancy for us....on the patio. That’s all I can think of on the points. Oh, next week sometime we will be updating all the records as far as NORBA points go, so that will be caught up. Thanks for your patience while we got our new points program up and running.

And here is some more Silver Mt info based on some questions that came up. I have spent the better part of the week up there and have driven the road up and down several times and let me tell you...it’s not fun. Teams will have the opportunity to drive up. But I would encourage everyone to load all your stuff in the Gondola and get up the hill that way. Yes, you can load tents and all in the Gondola. If you choose to drive up, you will have to depart the base no later than 8:20 Saturday Morning. At 9 AM the road will be closed and if you are not at the top, you will may end up being turned around and drive back to the bottom. The XC Course runs on part of the road and the DH crosses it so we will have to enforce the rule for safety reasons. DH probably don’t need to drive or even send gear to the top as there will be plenty of room near the bottom of the course and in the Gondola Parking Lot to set up shop. The only part of the DH that will be up top, is the start.

Silver Mt is a full service Winter and Summer Resort. They have a bike shop and retail shop. You can enjoy beverages at Terrible Ediths at the Gondola Base. Up top they will have a BBQ going. There is also a jump castle and playground for the kids. You can also ride a combination of 2 other chairlifts to access the Fire Lookout at the top of Kellogg Peak. So there is something for everyone to do-racing or not!

Lastly we want to thank all of you for hanging out and playing with us this year. If you didn’t make the WIM Series this year for whatever reason, we hope that you had fun doing other things, and hope you will rejoin us next year. Changes are already in the works for WIM 2006 so stay tuned.

We also want to thank our awesome sponsors and hope you will thank them to by giving them your business.

Hammer Gel
Barton Jeep
Arrow Racing
Full Speed Ahead (FSA)
Fastkart Indoor Speedway
Out There Monthly
Wa State Parks
Silver Mountain
Couer’d’Alene Brewing Co
BCI Creative
Smith Sport Optics

-- Eric Ewing
Round and Round Productions
www.roundandround.com
509-455-7657

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Here we are.... I found this on my camera Everyone wants to know what the course is like I finally figured it out I found this Picture of Otis at Silver and well it pretty much says it all!!!!!!See you all at the race

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Slider said:
Here we are.... I found this on my camera Everyone wants to know what the course is like I finally figured it out I found this Picture of Otis at Silver and well it pretty much says it all!!!!!!See you all at the race

So all there is is a mud puddle?

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Man that is the problem with all you washatonians you just don't get it now I have to spell out my joke destroying the whole entire of Fabric of hallarity.

1. Yes it is mud......but it is stategically placed in the same spot poop would be if you shat your pants at incredible speeds.

2. We have been talking about the knarlyness of the course leading into the perceptiont that Otis in fact "Crapped" his pants as upposed to getting a lot of mud on the "butt crack" area of the seat of his pants.

3. This all was to create the illusion that he in fact got so scared and/or excited he POOPED his pants.

Does it all make sense to you now???? I hope so

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
still not sure. can you go into more detail.

Slider said:
Man that is the problem with all you washatonians you just don't get it now I have to spell out my joke destroying the whole entire of Fabric of hallarity.

1. Yes it is mud......but it is stategically placed in the same spot poop would be if you shat your pants at incredible speeds.

2. We have been talking about the knarlyness of the course leading into the perceptiont that Otis in fact "Crapped" his pants as upposed to getting a lot of mud on the "butt crack" area of the seat of his pants.

3. This all was to create the illusion that he in fact got so scared and/or excited he POOPED his pants.

Does it all make sense to you now???? I hope so