Quantcast

fyvayem Tuesderp

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Gotta love texts and an impromptu meeting alert to tell you there's a problem when you'd rather be asleep.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
HEY! I ran easy for an hour this morning....got to within 5-6 feet of a bear. I ran out and back on the rail trail and when I hit the turnaround, a bear wandered out of the woods right in front of me...like two more steps and I would have plowed into it. I hit the brakes, turned around, and detoured through a parking lot back onto the trail. Hooray bears!!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Slept well last night for the first time in ages - over 9 hours. Eating and studying now. Got cold last night; down to 66* in the house. Usually blinds open during the day is enough to heat the house, but not last night. Der Winter is here.

Also had a text "sit down" with MIL about the condo. As I was going through all of the concern areas, especially the potential of having to tear down and rebuild a shared wall, the risk of mold spreading, and greater concern around structural water damage, she kept talking about the positives. Like how the neighbor wasn't there all the time, so getting into that room shouldn't be an issue, and how the leaking faucet was fixed by the plumber, but only the pipe drip vs the leaking knobs when pushed because I said we should go after the plumber for not doing work. I think she might have finally started to listen to our serious concerns when I let her know that HER realtor (and friend of 20 years) was the one that said she's not sure it can be legally sold and might be bad enough the building is at risk of being condemned because of the mold and potential structural damage from water. And that it's her fault because she hasn't maintained her house in 30 years, not the fault of service people who only fixed what she told them to. We'll see...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Slept well last night for the first time in ages - over 9 hours. Eating and studying now. Got cold last night; down to 66* in the house. Usually blinds open during the day is enough to heat the house, but not last night. Der Winter is here.

Also had a text "sit down" with MIL about the condo. As I was going through all of the concern areas, especially the potential of having to tear down and rebuild a shared wall, the risk of mold spreading, and greater concern around structural water damage, she kept talking about the positives. Like how the neighbor wasn't there all the time, so getting into that room shouldn't be an issue, and how the leaking faucet was fixed by the plumber, but only the pipe drip vs the leaking knobs when pushed because I said we should go after the plumber for not doing work. I think she might have finally started to listen to our serious concerns when I let her know that HER realtor (and friend of 20 years) was the one that said she's not sure it can be legally sold and might be bad enough the building is at risk of being condemned because of the mold and potential structural damage from water. And that it's her fault because she hasn't maintained her house in 30 years, not the fault of service people who only fixed what she told them to. We'll see...
:popcorn:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Baby Aya had a fever Sunday night through last night. She spent all of last night in our bed, so we didn't sleep too much. I did get some warm-from-fever baby snuggles, at least.

Thus today I work from home. Saves me the commute, I can pop off for a little nap in the middle of the day if need be, and I don't expose anyone to baby-germs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Been waffling on the genesis purchase. Gas prices are on the rise and no version of the car (least of all the big daddy v8) is gas efficient. COVID is apparently putting the squeeze on Jimmy Exxon. A little nervous about RWD in New England as well, but it snows 3x a year out here in Boston. Easy enough to avoid the snow and the car would get snow tires, but still...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Been waffling on the genesis purchase. Gas prices are on the rise and no version of the car (least of all the big daddy v8) is gas efficient. COVID is apparently putting the squeeze on Jimmy Exxon. A little nervous about RWD in New England as well, but it snows 3x a year out here in Boston. Easy enough to avoid the snow and the car would get snow tires, but still...
the 3 times it snows you wouldn't be getting anywhere without snowtrax anyways.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Gotta love texts and an impromptu meeting alert to tell you there's a problem when you'd rather be asleep.
FTS.

finishing up the drive home from maine. traffic yesterday was le suck. baltimore to charlotte on tap today.
You get some smack while you were in Baltimore? :brows:

This is bullshit
Can confirm. :disgust:

:stupid:

So. Many. Projects.

"Buy a house," they said.
Whomever said that was a goddam MORON. :mad:

:wave:

The struggle, it turns out, is still real. Trying to balance taking care of child, working, and taking care of wife. *My well-being has left the chat*
Take care of yourself, man...

Another day of being the bad guy.
I gotta say... I'm envious.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the 3 times it snows you wouldn't be getting anywhere without snowtrax anyways.
snowtrax=snow tires?

I've done fine on all-seasons for like 15 years out here. That gives me some confidence that good snow tires will see me through just fine. Plus, I consider myself to be an above-average driver in the snow, thanks to growing up in syracuse and owning several miserable automobiles. I swear, as soon as I bought an AWD vehicle, it stopped snowing so much.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Cold morning, may have to wear real pants one day if this keeps up. Do not like.

Started watching Squid Game last night, how the fuck is that garbage a viral sensation?

Maybe the acting is better in Korean than the hilarious English dub, but how many people are really watching in Korean?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Maybe the acting is better in Korean than the hilarious English dub, but how many people are really watching in Korean?
All reports say Koreans are like "this is super-derivative of 10 years ago...why are Americans suddenly fascinated?!"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
technically yes. but sorry, they aren't called that. there are a few diff brands. gff had (has?) a set. it's for when ya get a nor'easta bub

View attachment 165924
I'll be honest, with the way people react to the snow out here, I'm surprised they aren't more popular. Everything is AWD SUV and yeah, it snows, but it snows significantly for one day, then doesn't snow again for at least a week. If you wait it out, you're good to go. If you can't, you're probably still good to go as the roads will always be clear in between snow sessions

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll be honest, with the way people react to the snow out here, I'm surprised they aren't more popular. Everything is AWD SUV and yeah, it snows, but it snows significantly for one day, then doesn't snow again for at least a week. If you wait it out, you're good to go. If you can't, you're probably still good to go as the roads will always be clear in between snow sessions
oh its the same here. most people can't drive in the snow. usually when it snows bad enough for the roads to actually be bad, nowhere worth going is even open.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh its the same here. most people can't drive in the snow. usually when it snows bad enough for the roads to actually be bad, nowhere worth going is even open.
actually, now that we're having this conversation, I distinctly remember, during the last snowstorm, being more afraid of others on the road than I am of the roads themselves. Late braking, flooring it away from lights, going too fast for the roads... I remember following somebody in a CUV last year who was going about 10mph faster than I was getting out of sight on a windy road...then seeing their tire tracks go up into the side of the hill (failed to turn) and very quickly thereafter I was right behind them....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
actually, now that we're having this conversation, I distinctly remember, during the last snowstorm, being more afraid of others on the road than I am of the roads themselves. Late braking, flooring it away from lights, going too fast for the roads... I remember following somebody in a CUV last year who was going about 10mph faster than I was getting out of sight on a windy road...then seeing their tire tracks go up into the side of the hill (failed to turn) and very quickly thereafter I was right behind them....
yup. thats why i avoid driving when it snows here. it's not my skills i'm worried about (after spending 4 winters in upstate NY). it's all the other assclowns.