Quantcast

G-BOXX Planetary, first pics

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
that's one bottomed out tire!
rad looking bike. when's the enduro version come out?
This one looks like an Ion EFFIGear prototype* with less travel than Ion 20, maybe an Enduro version? I´m curious.

* ... please note the gusset HT/DT

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahahaha, love the comment at the bottom-
1 Comment

$5,800. Ummm......no. How many of the gears overlap. As in current bicycles that have 20+ gear selections, many are overlap of the others. A simplified version would be cheaper.
VoiceofReason

Hmmmm, I'd say the only overlap would be that idiot's gut over his pecker, retard.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
any pics of the effigear version?
View attachment 114810

For some reason they don't seem to load. But there's a photo here. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=709902002353220set=a.244458975564194.71739.241698995840192&type=1&theater
It's not made by Zerode though. But by an acquaintance.
no skid marks,

did you get some feedback from Richard GOLDSBURY about the performance (i.e. downshifting under load, reliability... ) of the EFFIGear gearbox?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yes, but I'm waiting to hear back after it's done some kilometers. He was happy with it.
I'm ordering the new 160mm Cavaleire as soon as it's ready(couple of weeks). It has the Effigear box. Just got to decide how many gears I want on it. I have the Helius with Pinion. So might just go 7 or 8 speed on the Cavalerie. Thoughts anyone?

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Why not take as many gears as you can get out of the EFFIGear gearbox (7-8-9) when it comes to the all-new 160mm CAVALERIE Anakine enduro bike, hence the 9-speed version? What sort of shifters do you prefer? GATES carbon drive, frame size, colour?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Less gears = lighter.
Bike with Effigear is about the same weight as a bike with mech set up.
9=444% gearing
8=360
7=300
6=260
After running and selling Zerodes for about 5 years and having never sold a replacement sprocket or changed chains. I know that a chain on a gearbox bike lasts for a hell of a long time. Although I'll pedal more on this bike than the Zerode. I am keen to try a belt on this bike(will check weight difference), purely because I'll have the Nicolai for longer rides and this will be for more shorter rides or runs. So might as well give the belt a go. But I still feel there's no real need for it and if it was my only AM bike, I'd go chain. Not having to lube it is the only benefit I can see.
I think they come with all 3 shifters. Might be wrong. I don't mind grip shift on gear box bikes if the clicks are solid. You can dump many gears in one action. I'll give the semi trigger shifter(sequential) a go though.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
I guess weight savings in case of leaving off a pair of spur gears does not matter, certainly it adds up if you drop more gears. Can you theoretically leave off any gear(s) out of maximum nine if you believe so for customization, say 1-2-3-5-7-8-9?

FrictionFacts published a quite interesting efficiency test of GATES Carbon Drive system vs. traditional chain drive in 2013, that was discussed say at BikeRadar. Résumé was: it's neck and neck.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I guess weight savings in case of leaving off a pair of spur gears does not matter, certainly it adds up if you drop more gears. Can you theoretically leave off any gear(s) out of maximum nine if you believe so for customization, say 1-2-3-5-7-8-9?

FrictionFacts published a quite interesting efficiency test of GATES Carbon Drive system vs. traditional chain drive in 2013, that was discussed say at BikeRadar. Résumé was: it's neck and neck.
Oh cool.
Did they test it with a dirty chain? With a few months old chain and belt? With a used chin that had only run straight? I doubt there'd be much in it, I still think chain would be the winner though for efficiency. Trivial amount though.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Oh cool.
Did they test it with a dirty chain? With a few months old chain and belt? With a used chin that had only run straight? I doubt there'd be much in it, I still think chain would be the winner though for efficiency. Trivial amount though.
Unfortunately, they didn´t specify all those conditions of the tested materials in detail. However, the classic chain drive attained a small advantage in efficiency over the GATES® Carbon Drive™. Dunno if they tested GATES® Carbon Drive™ CDX™ (CenterTrack) or GATES® Carbon Drive™ CDC™ (MudPort). The critical character was pretension. Interestingly, belt drive gained an advantage in efficiency over chain drive when pretension was reduced (certainly at the expense of an increase in risk of chain jump-over). Therefore it seems feasible that the aramid fibre reinforced CONTI® Drive System will make for an advantage in efficiency over the carbon fibre reinforced GATES® Carbon Drive™ CDX™ and CDC™ because of a higher tooth profile for increased jump-over protection at very low pre-tension and a lower sensitivity for out-of-parallel deviation (max. 3mm) as well as out-of-true angle (max. 0.5°).

8mm width

10mm with

" ... carbon tensile cord is more length stable than aramid materials. Carbon is unaffected by moisture while aramid materials shrink significantly. Carbon also has a lower coefficient of expansion reducing belt tension changes with temperature. Dynamic testing shows that Poly Chain GT Carbon belts will last at least 3X longer than CONTI SYNCHROCHAIN, and Poly Chain GT Carbon belts retain their strength much longer."*

In 2013 CONTINENTAL unveiled the carbon fibre reinforced (like GATES® Carbon Drive™) CONTI® Synchrochain Carbon that enables an +30% increase in power output over CONTI® Synchrochain Aramid. It is declared that CONTI® Synchrochain Carbon unlike GATES® Carbon Drive™ would be resistant to reverse (!) flexing.

The CONTI® Synchrochain Carbon comes with a new CTD profile (CTD: Conti torque drive).

* ... CONTI Synchrochain vs. GATES® Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™, Gates Product Application Note 59 #2 2012

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
NICOLAI Ion 20 EFFIGear, Atomic Yellow (RAL 1026) glossy powder coated.

Courtesy EFFIGear.com, DrailleBike.com, 04-2014

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
In 2013 CONTINENTAL unveiled the carbon fibre reinforced (like GATES[SUP]®[/SUP] Carbon Drive™) CONTI[SUP]®[/SUP] Synchrochain Carbon that enables an +30% increase in power output over CONTI[SUP]®[/SUP] Synchrochain Aramid. It is declared that CONTI[SUP]®[/SUP] Synchrochain Carbon unlike GATES[SUP]®[/SUP] Carbon Drive™ would be resistant to reverse (!) flexing.

I wonder if belt drive systems those allow for reverse (!) flexing like CONTI[SUP]®[/SUP] Synchrochain Carbon* would enable gearbox bike drivetrain configurations with belt tensioners similar to e.g. Rob METZ´ ZERODE AM PINION P1.18 and Richard GOLDSBURY´s EFFIGear chain-driven prototypes, provided appropriately sized pulley-type chain wheels.

BROSE (a car supplier) prototype gearbox e-bike drivetrain with tensioner and reverse (!) flexing belt (recently unveiled at 2014 Trentino Bike Festival, Riva del Garda, Italy).

* ... unlike GATES[SUP]®[/SUP] Carbon Drive™

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
are you kidding?! have another look at that Zerode trail bike...
The idle pulleys and other junk it takes to get that chainline in a place that will work is every bit as junky looking as a derailleur. It's in a safer spot than on the rear axle but the system is heavier with what looks like just as much, if not more drag.

It definitely looks neato. I don't exactly find myself wanting one though. Then again I'm not someone who's hit a derailleur on a rock in probably 10 years. (I did get one banged up shuttling though.....grr)

Internal shaft drive down the right chainstay yo! :D

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the only shaft drive I've seen is that goofy 2wd thing that was out years ago. Who's doing the chainstay deal? In the theme of "shlt I really don't want to break 10 miles out on a trail" that plus a gear box would at least look a lot less messy.
yea the handful i've seen crop up were all pretty janky looking

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The idle pulleys and other junk it takes to get that chainline in a place that will work is every bit as junky looking as a derailleur.Wouldn't need an idler with a pivot point near output sprocket. Zerode believe the benefits of a higher pivot outweigh any slight drag that's easily made up for with the mega range of gears the Pinion offers. and the straight chain and lack of **** to get bent creating drag. It's in a safer spot than on the rear axle but the system is heavier with what looks like just as much, if not more drag.Less maintenance=more riding=fitter=bike feels better.

It definitely looks neato. I don't exactly find myself wanting one though. Then again I'm not someone who's hit a derailleur on a rock in probably 10 years. (I did get one banged up shuttling though.....grr)You also overlook the low COG, centralized weight, shift any time, multiples of gears even when not pedaling.Also longevity of parts, cables, chains, sprockets.

Internal shaft drive down the right chainstay yo! :D
Shaft drive is very popular in Japan for commuters.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You also overlook the low COG, centralized weight, shift any time, multiples of gears even when not pedaling.Also longevity of parts, cables, chains, sprockets.
Right because if I didn't say all the completely obvious stuff, that means it never occurred to me. I mean this gearbox idea is so new I just haven't had the time to really consider all the benefits right? I mean jeesh, people weren't even talking about this stuff 10 years ago. This is like a 5 minute old idea! Give me a chance to catch up man! I mean this thread just started.

Wouldn't need an idler with a pivot point near output sprocket. Zerode believe the benefits of a higher pivot outweigh any slight drag that's easily made up for with the mega range of gears the Pinion offers. and the straight chain and lack of **** to get bent creating drag.
Sooo......they made a janky looking idler setup.

Starting to make derailleurs look pretty good I'd say. What you fail to realize is that the first time I said that, I was just kind of making a joke right? :D

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Right because if I didn't say all the completely obvious stuff, that means it never occurred to me. I mean this gearbox idea is so new I just haven't had the time to really consider all the benefits right? I mean jeesh, people weren't even talking about this stuff 10 years ago. This is like a 5 minute old idea! Give me a chance to catch up man! I mean this thread just started.

Sooo......they made a janky looking idler setup.

Starting to make derailleurs look pretty good I'd say. What you fail to realize is that the first time I said that, I was just kind of making a joke right? :D
Was just sayin. You made a negative comment, I trumped it by stating the positive benefits.
Sorry humor wasn't recognized, just saw hating.
The Zerode is Robs prototype for himself. I'm sure if Zerode made production ones, more thought would be given to making it look pretty for people that appreciate that.
Function appeals to me more. I'd be stoked if I could buy that bike as is from him. But you get whatever bike that caters for what you see is more important to you ;-)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Was just sayin. You made a negative comment, I trumped it by stating the positive benefits.
Sorry humor wasn't recognized, just saw hating.
The Zerode is Robs prototype for himself. I'm sure if Zerode made production ones, more thought would be given to making it look pretty for people that appreciate that.
Function appeals to me more. I'd be stoked if I could buy that bike as is from him. But you get whatever bike that caters for what you see is more important to you ;-)
You take anything said against high pivots and gboxx bikes too personal. Also you should really read on confirmation bias because you only see the benefits over a conventional setup. Many people simply don't have derail problems so a gearbox is not as big of an improvement for them. Very rearward trailbikes are also not something I'd go for and I like rearward dh bikes.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
What's the frame weigh?
No idea. The Pinions weight is mentioned somewhere. Can't recall what it is. Definatly adds weight compared to a mech set up, but it is centralized and low, and the range is rediculously large. If you wanted lighter and didn't need/want the range, the Effigear gearbox only adds about 100grams compared to a mech set up, but again it's centered. The 9 speed Effigear still has 444% range- wider than either SRAM’s XX1 or the first two ‘rings of a Shimano 10s triple (24-32 x 11-36). Or you can have less gears for less weight.
Ground clearance is probably the best available of any bike with the Effigear box.
You take anything said against high pivots and gboxx bikes too personal. Also you should really read on confirmation bias because you only see the benefits over a conventional setup. Many people simply don't have derail problems so a gearbox is not as big of an improvement for them. Very rearward trailbikes are also not something I'd go for and I like rearward dh bikes.
It may seem that way. I do bite hard on the hook. I just try to paint a clear picture. There's a lot of speculation thrown about and misleading info.
I work on bikes, I see how many people do have issues with mechs. Derailleur frailty is only one of the benefits as mentioned. I'm just talking on topic.
For certain things I'd choose a lower pivot bike too. But then I'd also pick a hardtail for others. For a 6" travel bike, I think a semi high pivot would be cool. I'll be getting the new 160mm Cavalerie as soon as funds permit.

Last edited:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
its cool, i would easily get that if it cost only 20% more, not like 200% more than conventional setup.

make a new standard? :D

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
@NSM - people who have derail problems should learn how to shift gears and ride. That's the problem that only new riders face and I doubt many of them will pay the extra cash gearbox costs.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
@NSM - people who have derail problems should learn how to shift gears and ride. That's the problem that only new riders face and I doubt many of them will pay the extra cash gearbox costs.
That's probably pretty true. Not a problem only new riders face entirely though. You see at least a broken mech at virtually every DH race. But still a valid point in regards to the gearbox Vs Mech argument in relation to risk of damage or poor performance from damage.
There's no need to worry about smashing a mech though with a gearbox. Something everyone keeps in mind. With a gearbox there's no need to time gear changes and pedal strokes, no need to get caught in the wrong gear. No need for shifting performance to get weird as **** wears out(not on the same scale anyway), no need to replace chain and sprockets anywhere near as often, cables also don't wear as quickly as they're not forcing something under as much mechanical load. and so on, and so on. Yes they cost more, over the life of the bike, it's probably not that much different.
Get used to a gearbox bike, then ride a bike with mech and you realize how compromised shifting is with the mech. Don't ride a gearbox bike, only ride your bike with mech, be happy ;-)
Just looking at the chain-line of a bike with mech in either and of the gearing range should be enough to make any mechanical minded person cringe.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
That's an absurdly incorrect comment, and surprising from someone who apparently has ridden a bike off-road before.

For starters, I can shift very well. Been doing so for a few decades, through thousands of miles or road and dirt, and to the podium at local DH races. So I 'learned' to shift a long time ago, probably before you could even bike. Imagine that. To me you are new.

Now that that's established, I'll tell you I've gone through many derailleurs. To the point I was buying 105's because they were cheap and less expensive than the modified short cage XTs I raced on. I also have an XTR that's reaching the end of it's life after three seasons of use.

How does this happen? Well, it's simple:

- Racing and riding DH in rock infested areas like St. Anne and Bromont probably cost me 4 or 5 drls to rocks alone. Sure, I could levitate, but I try to save my super powers for other things. Crashing, leaning too low, making an error during a race (it happens) have all broken drls. If this hasn't happened to you, it's probably because you're new :p

- They wear out. all that up and down with tension applied in various directions. The moment loads it sees from impacts, etc. All kill them . They are an incredibly weak link on otherwise well evolved bikes. There is no arguing this. cast aluminum, CF, a bunch of weak ass pulleys, and bushings to rotate on that wouldn't make it past my approval (I sign off designs and dwgs in the defense industry. I worked on that plane in my avatar amongst many others so take from my words what you will).

- They aren't cheap anymore. My XTR costs over $200. For a piece of cast aluminum and few bits of 'exotic' material that slowly degrades in performance every season, and is prone to damage. If I go cheap the lifespan is even shorter. Every shift I take, every move I make, I'll be wearing them.

The problem with gearboxes is price. If that could come down, and the disposable mindset in this fickle 'industry' (I laugh as I type that....), then we'd see more of them. I for one welcome the idea.