Quantcast

G-BOXX Planetary, first pics

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
thatd be dope if it did. i had asked zerode usa and they said a sram one wouldnt
Yeah Sram definatly not. But Nexus and Alfine pull the same amount of cable I'm pretty sure.
The choice is, being able to shift several gears in one movement(Grip Shift), or being able to shift down when braking(Trigger). For me, if I know the course I can shift before braking. There's other considerations too, like weight, brake lever pssoition, bulkiness, hand size, and so on. False shifting is not something I put on the list, as I highly doubt you'll ever miss shift with the twister run inboard where you'd want it. And even if you did miss shift, you'll only be in another gear, unlike with a mech where you'd have to grind the chain into another gear.
I actually prefer Grip shift on most bikes. DH bike where you shift less and brake more feroshiously I'm in two minds.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I tried Grip Shift with a Saint mech and I could barely twist the thing, I guess you wouldn't be pulling against as much spring tension with a gearbox bike?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah cool, I guess gripshift would be alright then, well as long as it's a nice short shifter.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just read the FAQ on the Pinion website and it confuses me as to why they will only sell the gear box to industrial manufacturers. Surely that is just slowing down the spread of gear box useage?

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
I agree, but mind they are a small company for now, so maybe they prefere business partners at best who place higher volume orders (dunno the minimum number). That could help them to schedule their prodution. I reckon that marketing policy could change once the output will rise. Recently, SR SUNTOUR communicated they were currently shipping their V-Boxx to OEMs exclusively. Unfortunately, neither PINION nor SR SUNTOUR are willing to supply the aftermarket for now. Dunno if it would be promising to ask one of their customers for selling a single gearbox unit.

Falco MILLE (PINION communications) told that no less than 12 customers are showing PINION bikes at EuroBike 2012, another 20 bike manufacturers were planning to use that gearbox soon.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly why should they?

the gearbox is a fully integrated part of any frame that is using it.
so selling it without a frame does not make sense at all, right?

if you plan/intend to built a frame (even as a one off) which uses/integrates the pinion gearbox then that fact makes you somewhat of an industry partner.
just give them a call pretty sure they will sell you one.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
then sorry to hear they are idiots...

its rather stupid because on eurobike they claim to have 12 companies showing bikes with pinion's gearbox and 20 more working on bikes. which does not sound like "select" industry partners...

tried to ask one of the resellers?
maybe try alu tech
http://alutech-cycles.com/

the owner is rather nice and cool guy
maybe he helps you out :)
call once eurobike is over :P

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I also tried to get some.
Alutech only just got their first batch of Pinions, doubt they'd part with any.
Pinion should be on top of all their OEM orders soon, maybe when things cool down they'll sell some direct.
I want a steel or Ti hardtail built around one, and a semi high single pivot(or VPP) with idler, trail bike, until the Zerode AM is available.

Last edited:

snake666

Chimp
Aug 12, 2012
I agree, but mind they are a small company for now, so maybe they prefere business partners at best who place higher volume orders (dunno the minimum number). That could help them to schedule their prodution. I reckon that marketing policy could change once the output will rise. Recently, SR SUNTOUR communicated they were currently shipping their V-Boxx to OEMs exclusively. Unfortunately, neither PINION nor SR SUNTOUR are willing to supply the aftermarket for now. Dunno if it would be promising to ask one of their customers for selling a single gearbox unit.

Falco MILLE (PINION communications) told that no less than 12 customers are showing PINION bikes at EuroBike 2012, another 20 bike manufacturers were planning to use that gearbox soon.
Thanks mate, good information

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Joseph & Kylan LUBER of Flagstaff, AZ unveilled their own gearbox project E.M.I.T. (Eccentrically Mounted Internal Transmission) as a demonstration stand model last year at InterBike 2011, Booth #4094.

Unfortunately, I never heared about the LUBER bros since, and I couldn´t find them on the InterBike 2012 exhibitors roster. Even their website at sites.google.com/site/emitdrive went down. Does anybody have further informations about that E.M.I.T. gearbox project?

A few more pics:

Contact data:
Joseph LUBER & Kylan LUBER
1401 N 4th St, #151
Flagstaff, Arizona 86004
United States
e-mail emitdrivesystem@gmail.com
website sites.google.com/site/emitdrive

Pics courtesy E.M.I.T., InterBike Show 2011, TriRig (The Triathlon Gear Guide)

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Now that nobody knows anything about the LUBER bros´ E.M.I.T. it seems to be even more secret than some of the LO technology projects in years past. :nerd:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Indeed it is. Concentric pivot on the all mountain bike is a bit terrible though and I'm not sold on belt drive from a practical point of view. Single speed chain is super reliable and cheap.

I think I'd still go Pinion for an all mountain bike, as the extra gears are very nice. In the next 6months or so I will get a pinion bike I think.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
sorry you either did not read the article very thoroughly or look at the pictures :)

the concentric pivot is not concentric with the "bottom bracket" (a bad idea for most bikes) but concentric with the output part of the gearbox.
which means the bike has a single pivot suspension with that pivot located slightly up and infront of the "bb"

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
sorry you either did not read the article very thoroughly or look at the pictures :)

the concentric pivot is not concentric with the "bottom bracket" (a bad idea for most bikes) but concentric with the output part of the gearbox.
which means the bike has a single pivot suspension with that pivot located slightly up and infront of the "bb"
The pivot is concentric with the drive=bad for going uphill, great for a park bike.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
you are right, my bad.
still i believe that effect is negliable for the downhill bike shown here and i believe they are using small "beltrings" in order to keep that effect at a minimum.

interesting concept though :)

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
In place of refining their own G-Boxx concept the NICOLAI guys seem to team up with the French EFFIGear company for an all-new 2014 27.5-inch wheeled 9-speed gearbox "Ion" DH bike. According to the latest newsletter (July 24 2013) NIC will unveil that model at the 2013 open-house (August 16-17), prior to Eurobike.

The EFFIGear website shows schemas of three variants of 3-shaft 9-speed gearbox configurations allowing for input-output shaft distances of 55mm-102mm and a more compact quasi-2-shaft configuration whereby the third shaft is located coaxial to the crank shaft (output). The weight is indicated similar to a derailleur-type drivetrain with a two-chainring setup. Interestingly they offer not only a typical twist-shifter but two modified versions for sequential shifting including a quasi-trigger shifter, too.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
In place of refining their own G-Boxx concept the NICOLAI guys seem to team up with the French EFFIGear company for an all-new 2014 27.5-inch wheeled 9-speed gearbox "Ion" DH bike. According to the latest newsletter (July 24 2013) NIC will unveil that model at the 2013 open-house (August 16-17), prior to Eurobike.

The EFFIGear website shows schemas of three variants of 3-shaft 9-speed gearbox configurations allowing for input-output shaft distances of 55mm-102mm and a more compact quasi 2-shaft configuration whereby the third axis is located coaxial to the crank shaft (output). The weight is indicated similar to a derailleur-type drivetrain with a two-chainring setup. Interestingly they offer not only a typical twist-shifter but two modified versions for sequential shifting, too.
So much great news. So many options for frame manufacturers, and so good to see Nicolai using the Effigear aswell as Pinion.

Last edited:

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
So much great news. So many options for frame manufacturers, and so good to see Nicolai using the Effigear aswell as Pinion.
It would be good if Pinion and Effigear could agree on a mounting standard too, at least for boxes that are aimed at the same/similar frame types.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It would be good if Pinion and Effigear could agree on a mounting standard too, at least for boxes that are aimed at the same/similar frame types.
I don't think so. Effigear has four different designs, then there's Pinion or using a gearbox hub, and G-Boxx. There's heaps of choice to suit many designs. Better than design compromise for a standard IMO.

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
The all-new for 2014 27.5-inch wheeled Ion EFFIGear at NIC 2013 open-house (August 16-17) w/ GATES Carbon Drive™:

Courtesy Thomas von der BRÜGGEN @ BikeBauer.com

The 2014 27.5-inch wheeled conventional Ion DH:

Courtesy Timmy35 @ MtB-News.de

Specs of Ion DH w/ conventional drivetrain (Ion EFFIGear quite similar), subject to correction:
  • wheel size 27.5" (650B)
  • travel 205mm, not adjustable (Ion 20 197mm/217mm)
  • TT slightly longer than Ion 20
  • HA 63° (Ion 20 64°)
  • ZS
  • TrailKey for quick adjustment of HA and BB height like Ion 16
  • chain stay length 425mm (26" wheeled Ion 20 430mm)
  • shock dimension 241mmx76mm (Ion 20 222mmx70mm)
  • same advanced bearing technology like Ion 16
  • through-axle 157x12mm
  • PM rear brake mount
  • 3,65kg (size M, anodized, w/o shock, Ion 20 4,1kg), weight of Ion EFFIGear TBD

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Wow, a gearbox bike that doesn't look like a transformer that got stuck half way! If the weight is comparable then that is a very cool bike indeed.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
... If the weight is comparable then that is a very cool bike indeed.
I hope so. According to the EFFIGear website (in French, only) that 9-speed gearbox seems to be by far the lightest ever build, much lighter than G-Boxx 1/2 and SR SUNTOUR V-Boxx, even lighter than PINION P1.18 ...

Poids
Pour comparer le poids de la transmission effigear avec une transmission classique, il faut tenir compte de l'ensemble des éléments qu'elle remplace.
Comparaison du poids des éléments d'une transmission classique haut de gamme d'Enduro avec la boite effigear 9 vitesses.

Transmission standard (double plateau 24-36, cassette 11-34)
Dérailleur av.............160g
Dérailleur ar.............250g
Cassette 11-34t...........315g
Chaine....................305g
Shifter...................265g
Pédalier alu + couron...1.010g
Moyeu ar..................330g
TOTAL...................2.635g

Transmission EFFIGgear (9V)
Boite...................1.550g
Poulie.....................90g
Courroie...................60g
Huile......................95g
Commande..................135g
Manivelles................460g
Moyeu.....................250g
TOTAL...................2.640g

Le poids des protos réalisés avec la marque CAVALERIE (complets sans les pédales):
  • 17,9 kg pour le Falcon
  • 15,8 kg pour le Squirrel
Cela confirme que la transmission est comparable à celle d'un vélo classique. Le cadre intégrant le carter pèse 4.2 kg y compris carter, flasques et pivot de suspension.

© 2012 by INGEARTEC. All rights reserved

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Reading the above ref standards, despite the utter cluster**** that is standards in this industry, I'd much rather see a settled on mounting standard as it then becomes much easier to replace said gearbox if it goes tits up but also removes half the worry about getting spare parts for something if companies do unfortunately go out of business.

Exciting to see more gearboxes out there, still dreaming....

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Reading the above ref standards, despite the utter cluster**** that is standards in this industry, I'd much rather see a settled on mounting standard as it then becomes much easier to replace said gearbox if it goes tits up but also removes half the worry about getting spare parts for something if companies do unfortunately go out of business.

Exciting to see more gearboxes out there, still dreaming....
I'd rather see many different options like Effigear have so manufacturers frame designs aren't limited by any gearbox standard.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Hang on a second, I see a grip shifter. Kills it for me, unless I can get a Shimano/SRAM trigger shifter on there I'm out.

And yes Jon, Nicolai have had that look for a lot of their bikes, this is a very clean looking bike from them.