Quantcast

Gahhhhh.... Body armor help here please.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So I am in a bind. I need some form of body protection next season.

My history of protection (teehee):
Six six one assault pressure suit (now too bulky for my liking, even caught the bars in the chest protector before getting the bike flat, but it did fit me well)
2010 661 coresaver (didn't fit me well, even though it was my size, and rode up on me).
Fox Air Frame Chest protector (a little too bulky as well, but over all did a decent job).

So I have had 3 styles of armor, all would be considered pretty nice stuff I think. However the faster I am getting, the more I realize the stuff is in the way, but it has covered my butt a lot of times from getting hurt badly. Which makes me conclude I need some form of protection.

I liked the coresaver except for what I listed, but I want something sleek and Leatt Compatible if possible. Something that can be worn under the jersey.

I was thinking dainese impact, but that looks bulky too, however I don't know much about it.

ALSO I am a skinny guy, 5'7" and 142 lbs without gear.

What else do you guys suggest or wear? I was looking at this:
http://static.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear/category/protection/suit/product/warrior-bc9-brace-compatible-10-35527

Until I saw how bulky the stuff really is.

And I tried on Rock Gardn stuff, and that really didn't float my boat either. So bulky, felt like a storm trooper.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Baggy shorts, gloves, long black socks, 5:10s, fullface, 661 straite knee, goggles, jersey and your choice of underwear as long as they arent tighty whitys~!!!

I dont wear armor aside of whats listed above, my flak jacket got worn 2 times bootleg and tunnel, both of which Id have been better off for movement not wearing it. I personally like the ability to whip around, yes Injury can cause major issues. (4 broken backs not all bike related, mx, car accident, mtb, etc) but in no way would protection have stopped em. Hell I wrecked MX and had the bike land on me blowing out 4 ribs, protection did stop the foot peg from stabbing me.

I did rockgardn and it was bulky I cant say if it worked the 1 time I went down really hard I hit my head and hands looked like a "so you think you can dance" audition :D.
Its not that bad as far as comfort I think the most comfortable Ive tried on is the dianese and the slimest Ive seen is 661.

Go to a store like Jenson USA or other larger well stocked store try some on, I ran around flapping my arms and doing a chiken hop to see how it moved, No really... Its seems cracked out and people look at you like an idiot but hey thats OK its me wearing it not them!

1 critical piece depending on the course that I would recomend that Im considering is the Leat brace... Doesnt seem to effect movement or influence a drone like stance from contact and range of motion...

Last edited:

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
TLD decender protector works well or POC spine T , there are plenty of fast guys wearing armor but I think they modify it slightly for better fit

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Haha, thanks bullcrew. Ya, unfortunately I don't have anywhere to try this stuff on. I live on the east coast and there are no big distributors.

For views on armor. The few times I have ridden without armor this year, I liked it a lot. I don't crash much anymore, but when I fall, I really fall hard anymore. And when I take that 661 pressure suit out and look at the spine, and shoulders, and elbows, I see DEEP scratches. Haha.

I did have a lot of luck wearing a moto chest protector, and elbow pads and gloves, and knee/shin gaurds. I won't not wear shin guards because here on the east coast there are a lot of loose rocks that get kicked up, plus, I rarely do it anymore, but like 1 time I will slip a pedal.

Last year I hurt my neck at diablo going OTB in a rock garden, and realized that really could have been the end, so I bought a leatt brace, but still want that protection.

Maybe I will just end up with this: Back protection, knee/shin, elbow (sleek fox elbow guards), leatt, gloves, helmet.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
TLD decender protector works well or POC spine T , there are plenty of fast guys wearing armor but I think they modify it slightly for better fit
TLD descender I think is going back to too bulky. I don't know, but just by looks I am assuming that.

POC spine T. Interesting. My only concern would be it moving around in a crash, and it not fitting a skinny marink like me very well. I have POC knee/shin, and like them.

Anyone else with POC experience?

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Im 5 10, 165 and I had to get a size smaller than recomended to keep it from riding up on me. I usually wear my Icon Field Armor Vest. Its intended for street bikes, but has a spine protector and rubber plates on the front. The front doesnt offer much protection from hard impacts but it is super slim and really comfortable. I wear it all day on my street bike and it never bothers me. When I dh with it, I usually just un strap it on the sides so I can breathe better... I run it really tight. To me its about the same protection at my core saver only alot better fitting.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/643/ITEM/Icon-Field-Armor-Vest.aspx

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
The new 661 evo looks low profile but I heard somewhere that it doesn't fit to nicely with the leatt. You could probably mod it to fit better though.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I like the looks of that little coresaver type thing. I might just end up wearing something like that.

Ya, I am trying to stay away from a full body pressure suit. They just get in the way. Part of the problem with them is that when part of the suit articulates, the whole suit moves slightly, even though my old suit fit me very well. Also they are hot, even though I would rather protection over heat by far, it is a drawback. One thing I did like is the shoulder protection about pressure suits, like when you hit a tree, which happens sometimes :) .

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
Oh sorry, did not not know you were looking for a coresaver type armor. I know what you mean about the shoulder pads too, I have clipped quite a few trees at diablo haha.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm pretty much sold on the POC tee. Finding somebody with them in stock, and sizing info would be helpfill though.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
My buddy Atomicadam does proreviews at mtbr.com as well as works for them. He did a review on there armor and probably has an in on sizes and availability.

Im kind of curious now as well, Ill call him and see what he says.
Thanks bullcrew. I am interested myself. Do these things work with leatt braces?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i'm completely POC'ed out!
i have have the Spine VPD Protection Tee,

the Bone VPD Arm Pads,
the Bone VPD Leg Pads,

and the Hip VPD shorts

I've used Dainese Body armour (several Gladiator Jackets and knee/shin protectors) for many years until now and the POC stuff is soooooo much better.
it fits better, does not hinder movement, the protection seems to cover a lager part of the body, everything is much more breathable.
the Leg pads can be put on and off without taking the shoes off and have, besides the plastic, these wondermaterial pads, that stiffen on impact, to cover the knee further upwards. this VPD stuff snugs perfectly to the body, adding to the comfortable fit. Another neat feature is, that the lower end of the plastic shin protectors are not sewn to the baselayer, so that they can be cut to the desired lenght with no hussle. i crashed several timeswith these on, no slippin' an' a-slidin' here!
the Arm pads , while in conjunction with the Spine Tee completly covering the arms from wrist to shoulder (A LOT better than the Dainese Gladiator jacket), are easy to take off. they work as a "cup in cup" system, completly coverng the elbows and forearms. I've got these just recently and have not had a major crash with them on (and i hopefully will never have), but so far, so VERY good!
The Spine Tee has this phunky Spine protector, that, when it becomes warm, snugs to your back and is very comforatable to wear. the chest protectors sit a good bit lower and don't cut into your throat as the Dainese ones do. same here with the crashes: not yet and hopefully never!
I'm 174cm and wear a medium Spine tee and large Bone leg pads. Arm pads and hip shorts are OSFA IIRC. i'm a VERY happy customer.
but: the stuff is EXPENSIVE and i'm even happier that i got a bro-deal at the LBS! :thumb:
only "negative" point is, that everything is white! while looking great out of the box, the question is, how well it will look like by the end of the season. the Leg pads, which i wore for the most of the past season are not that pretty anymore, although they seem robust and durable.
overall: strongly recommended!

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Have you tried fitting the POC spine tee with a Leatt?
i'm completely POC'ed out!
i have have the Spine VPD Protection Tee,

the Bone VPD Arm Pads,
the Bone VPD Leg Pads,

and the Hip VPD shorts

I've used Dainese Body armour (several Gladiator Jackets and knee/shin protectors) for many years until now and the POC stuff is soooooo much better.
it fits better, does not hinder movement, the protection seems to cover a lager part of the body, everything is much more breathable.
the Leg pads can be put on and off without taking the shoes off and have, besides the plastic, these wondermaterial pads, that stiffen on impact, to cover the knee further upwards. this VPD stuff snugs perfectly to the body, adding to the comfortable fit. Another neat feature is, that the lower end of the plastic shin protectors are not sewn to the baselayer, so that they can be cut to the desired lenght with no hussle. i crashed several timeswith these on, no slippin' an' a-slidin' here!
the Arm pads , while in conjunction with the Spine Tee completly covering the arms from wrist to shoulder (A LOT better than the Dainese Gladiator jacket), are easy to take off. they work as a "cup in cup" system, completly coverng the elbows and forearms. I've got these just recently and have not had a major crash with them on (and i hopefully will never have), but so far, so VERY good!
The Spine Tee has this phunky Spine protector, that, when it becomes warm, snugs to your back and is very comforatable to wear. the chest protectors sit a good bit lower and don't cut into your throat as the Dainese ones do. same here with the crashes: not yet and hopefully never!
I'm 174cm and wear a medium Spine tee and large Bone leg pads. Arm pads and hip shorts are OSFA IIRC. i'm a VERY happy customer.
but: the stuff is EXPENSIVE and i'm even happier that i got a bro-deal at the LBS! :thumb:
only "negative" point is, that everything is white! while looking great out of the box, the question is, how well it will look like by the end of the season. the Leg pads, which i wore for the most of the past season are not that pretty anymore, although they seem robust and durable.
overall: strongly recommended!

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
My only comment on the Spine VPD Protection Tee - is the backplate seem a bit long but I trimmed the top where it would interfere with the back of my helmet when I was looking up but other wise i like it alot

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Have you tried fitting the POC spine tee with a Leatt?
not yet.
the dude at the MX shop said, to show up with the body armour to check out the fit, but i got the spine tee just recently and haven't made to the mx shop yet.
will post infos + pics as soon as i can.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hmmm. Well, it would be great if you could get back about the Leatt compatibility with the POC Spine VPD Tee. That will be a big player in the decision of whether to just get one of the sweet moto vests, or to drop some mad dough on a POC Tee.

Also, it looks as if the leatt would only fit under the back protection, which means one would have to cut a hole in their jersey. I don't want to modify my new $300 piece of gear or cut a hole in my jersey though... But I guess we will see what the verdict is.

It looks like guys on mtbr are raving about the POC Spine VPD Tee:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=547656

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
I'm afraid the POC tee isn't going to be full compatible with the Leatt unless you cut your t-shirt and place the Leatt backplate between your skin and the POC tee... it would be great if POC launched a new suit that could be totally fitted and w/o any modification made with a Leatt

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
I've been riding dh for a decent amount of time now. My favorite setup is my thor sentinel chest protector with my leat brace. Fits together, super protective. Does not restrain movement at all. I should get some elbow guards but I don't like the feel of them. That stuff combined with troy lee t-bone knee pads is a good setup gear wise.

Last edited: