Quantcast

Galbraith Mountain Trail ridin pix

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Welp every time i'd go riding up at Galby Dwaugh would get mad for me not telling him. But y'know it was always someone else's gig or just a last minute deal. So when he smarshed his hand up a tad i promised him i'd go ride with him when he got better.
Always good to ride Galbraith in Bellingham for any ole excuse really. i guess since it's close to Canada it's got the total free-ride feel for an XC spot. It's always fun to ride there and Dwaugh and the really cool Bellingham community do alot of awesome trail work.

http://www.whimpsmtb.com/index-9-1.html

So anyways the day started out promising weather wise, but soon degraded into windy cold rain. Ahhh the PacNW we all know and love is back again. So it didn't really dampen the ride so much, but i had to put the camera away. But i managed a few goodies.

This skinny took me five times the first time i hit it, this day it only took me three haha. Hopefully next time i'll just rail it on the first try.

??????????

TtotheJ running up to the precipice

By the time we hit the towers it definately was getting pretty sloppo.
My pal Jonny, Knine, ????????

So all in all it was a great day of riding, there really is way more trail that we covered and all of it was built by mt. bikers for mt. bikers. So much more of it we didn't hit today. Really a great trail system, thanks Dwaugh for leading another great ride.
Always cool riding again with as well as meeting new Monkeys.

Dwaugh

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Snacks said:
Looks like a great ride! I need to get back up there this winter :cool:
Heal thy arm! Yah Dwaugh has been showing me a cool back trail from the towers you would like. it runs thru clearcut and it's pretty fun. What's funny is when Oly rode out there he really liked that trail when we rode out there last year some time, and the new last section of the trail they named Oly haha!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Hey, it was a fun ride. Let's do it again soon, and wow, your camera takes nice shots, too bad it's too slow sometimes. :rolleyes:

That trail was always called Oly, but it got logged and it was rebuilt with the same name. I'll post in the PNW forum whenever I feel like organizing a group like this again hopefully in beter weather. :cool:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Heal thy arm! Yah Dwaugh has been showing me a cool back trail from the towers you would like. it runs thru clearcut and it's pretty fun. What's funny is when Oly rode out there he really liked that trail when we rode out there last year some time, and the new last section of the trail they named Oly haha!
Dude....I'm ready to hit the easy trails! Rode all weekend at Whistler and my arm is a little sore, but good

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
nice pics.... it must have been either really hot or really difficult... the three of you look really beat in that pic!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
splat said:
Skooks , why is that skinny there ? does it get Muddy ?
The whole trail gets pretty sloggy, the wider cedar plank bridge (barely seen at the run-up actually does a good job of getting over a very mucky section. The skinny is a non necessary, but super fun extension of the bridge.
It's a really neat set up these guys have out there. The land is private land, alot of it get's logged, and they allow mt. bikers to build trails as long as there is structure and IMBA regulations to it. There really should be a Galbraith outside of every metropolis, but of course it's not that easy. Around here private land owners allow trail building, but not so many built up structures, it's really fun and very cool.
A success story really, Dwaugh it pretty active with trail building and for a young guy is very involved in the process of mt. bike advocacy.

*edit* so as to maybe answer more about that skinny, there is a go around to the skinny not pictured on the other side of the stump and tree to the left. All above average technical sections have a go around, part of the deal.....

hooples3 said:
nice pics.... it must have been either really hot or really difficult... the three of you look really beat in that pic!!
hehe that's the top of Galbraith Mountain, it's a little bit of a climb. And it began raining, the last 3/4 of the ride was a typical mud puddle wet windy slog ride, not that i'm complaining.....

pixelninja said:
I love that last photo!
Thank you, i do too. Sometimes i see something and i am compelled to just stop and shoot, and i hope that it comes out. That one turned out really good even with rain drops on my lens haha.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
The whole trail gets pretty sloggy, the wider cedar plank bridge (barely seen at the run-up actually does a good job of getting over a very mucky section. .

hehe that's the top of Galbraith Mountain, it's a little bit of a climb. And it began raining, the last 3/4 of the ride was a typical mud puddle wet windy slog ride, not that i'm complaining.....
Word! That place can wear you out! I have only been there one time and the place was muddy...so much I don't think I saw the trail I rode one...I followed the stream.