Quantcast

Gamut Guides

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Has anyone drilled out a Gamut guide p40 boomarang (sp?) for use with ISCG? I know they make an ISCG guide but its not going to be availible from my distributor for about a month and I have a race in two weeks that I need a guide for. The only difference between the BB guide the ISCG guide seems to be the drilling so I would think that it wouldn't be any issue, anyone have more info?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The ISCG guide appears to have a larger hole cut in the center so that it will fit over the BB shell rather than getting sandwitched between the BB cup and the shell. If you've got a big enough drill bit you could enlarge that hole though.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm sure you don't have a drill bit that big or you'd have the capability to make your own guide. I'd just skip using the ISCG tabs.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
There are other ways of removing the inner flange than a mammoth drill bit. Anyone else see an issue with this or have anymore info?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
biker3 said:
E13 makes a nice guide.
That they do. But the Gamut is about 20g heavier than the LG-1, but it includes a Lexan bash ring, and it's simpler. The SGS weighs about a half pound more. It's stronger, but it's heavier. The Gamut is a great product, it's the best of both worlds, but it's not for everyone. With a dremel the non-ISCG would be compatible with ISCG tabs. Plus, one could probably make it 20g lighter. And carve their name into it while they're at it.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
bikenweed said:
That they do. But the Gamut is about 20g heavier than the LG-1, but it includes a Lexan bash ring, and it's simpler. The SGS weighs about a half pound more. It's stronger, but it's heavier. The Gamut is a great product, it's the best of both worlds, but it's not for everyone. With a dremel the non-ISCG would be compatible with ISCG tabs. Plus, one could probably make it 20g lighter. And carve their name into it while they're at it.
My thoughts exactly, and I can carve "GNAR" and "BENDER ROCKS" all over it!!!!!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I bet you could probably use a E13 boomerang with a Gamut bashguard. I haven't tried it but if you have a spare boomerang it's worth a shot.

Oh yeah, and Gamuts rock.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
how much weight would that guide save over a mrp system 3? On gamuts web site they say that there guides are for slalom and 4x, which is there guide for dh, i know that there are 2 different types....thanks

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
If you really need to ..

a Jigsaw will do that job in about 5 minutes, to finish you can use a rat-file or even better a half moon file with a 1 1/2" radius shape..

Just be sure you drill the holes were they need to be, so the chain achive proper tension, for the drilling you will also need a counter suck drillbit, to generate the 45 angle require for the bolts to fit with out any clearance , don't try to use a normal drill bit the risk is way to high that you will end up drilling all the way..

also you say "your Distribuitor" are you sure the guide is not avaliable from another supplier or even gamut in less time...!?!?

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
You can get hole saw for under $10 that will drill the flange out. I forget the size, but I did it years ago.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
degoose said:
how much weight would that guide save over a mrp system 3? On gamuts web site they say that there guides are for slalom and 4x, which is there guide for dh, i know that there are 2 different types....thanks
Both guides can work for slalom, 4x, and dh. I'd reccomend the P40 for DH because the polycarbonate is more durable than aluminum.

I don't know how much lighter a Gamut is than a MRP but the Gamut is probably a lot more reliable and durable. I've seen countless problems with MRPs, bent plates, dropped/stuck chains, and my Gamuts have worked flawlessly when set up correctly.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Transcend said:
You can do anything with a dremel tool and an afternoon.

Well if your bike already looks like a filling cabinet why not bolt something on that looks like it was made with a file. :blah:

I guess I feel like I spend too much money on my stuff to be okay with jerry rigging things to fit. There are a couple of ways to make a nice hole in the center of that boomerang, one would be to drill it out with a huge drill bit in a carefully setup drill press, but most machine shops wouldn't even have a drill bit that big. The second and more practical way would be to mill it out, but you'd need a mill to do that and most of us don't have a mill in our garage, although a few of us have access to them. The hole saw idea is kind of nifty and just might work but without holding the part in my hand I can't guarantee it would work as well as I'd like it to, you might have to file down a little bit of a lip or risk having a hole that isn't concentric with the hole that ought to be there.

I must be a perfectionist because I wouldn't destroy a perfectly good boomerang just so it would fit the ISCG tabs when there is already a boomerang that is designed and professionally machined to fit the tabs, so I'd have to wait a couple of weeks or use a different guide, big deal.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Kornphlake said:
Well if your bike already looks like a filling cabinet why not bolt something on that looks like it was made with a file. :blah:

I guess I feel like I spend too much money on my stuff to be okay with jerry rigging things to fit. There are a couple of ways to make a nice hole in the center of that boomerang, one would be to drill it out with a huge drill bit in a carefully setup drill press, but most machine shops wouldn't even have a drill bit that big. The second and more practical way would be to mill it out, but you'd need a mill to do that and most of us don't have a mill in our garage, although a few of us have access to them. The hole saw idea is kind of nifty and just might work but without holding the part in my hand I can't guarantee it would work as well as I'd like it to, you might have to file down a little bit of a lip or risk having a hole that isn't concentric with the hole that ought to be there.

I must be a perfectionist because I wouldn't destroy a perfectly good boomerang just so it would fit the ISCG tabs when there is already a boomerang that is designed and professionally machined to fit the tabs, so I'd have to wait a couple of weeks or use a different guide, big deal.
This year we have nice curvy hydroformed frames! :blah:

I guess i just always return to the early days of DH when you needed a mallet, dremel and hacksaw to make anything work.

I bet a holse saw and a softjaw vice would work just fine though, and you'd save $$. No need for jury rigging, he is simple making a whole bigger, and drilling some bolt holes. Hell, he can even use a counter sink to all all super pro.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Kornphlake said:
There are a couple of ways to make a nice hole in the center of that boomerang, one would be to drill it out with a huge drill bit in a carefully setup drill press, but most machine shops wouldn't even have a drill bit that big. The second and more practical way would be to mill it out, but you'd need a mill to do that and most of us don't have a mill in our garage, although a few of us have access to them. The hole saw idea is kind of nifty and just might work but without holding the part in my hand I can't guarantee it would work as well as I'd like it to, you might have to file down a little bit of a lip or risk having a hole that isn't concentric with the hole that ought to be there.
actually is a few ways to do it with "normal house tools"
for example you can mount the bommerang on a piece of wood to secure it but more than anything to have a stable center (concentric to the Guides hole) then use a drill press with a "Fly Cutter" (adjustable device, some how like a compass that can be adjust to many diferent diameters) to drill the rest of the hole..

even easier since you already have a hole you can use a router with a square (straight shaft cutter, made for wood carbite bit equipe with a guide bearing, just be aware the cutter will be ruin by the time you are done) and some lubricant and just follow the shape of the circle.

also I bet you if you give me just a round & half moon file i be done in less than 30minutes with a perfect finish circle, just remenber many things were made in this world with out the help of fancy CNC machines, the trouble is that almost nobody know how to do things the old fashion way anymore, plus everybody is press for time and want to get everything done like if was cook on a microwave..

on a side note...
do you guys Know that the first type of "sand paper" was actually made of dry fish skin, can you imagine how ineficient and complicated that was...!?!?
on the other hand the artistians of the time have a lot of paccience, time and a eye for perfection no matter how long it took (just go to any museum and look at the quality of the craftmanship) wood on furniture, painting frames, brick, stone in scupture and even construction, musical instruments,, anything and everything..

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
biker3 said:
Yes, but lots of people in SB take it up the butt so what are you gunna say about that?

Southern by the grace of god ( so you like being stupid and poor) Its ok that you cant afford to live in SB. Not everyone can:)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
patineto said:
on the other hand the artistians of the time have a lot of paccience, time and a eye for perfection no matter how long it took (just go to any museum and look at the quality of the craftmanship) wood on furniture, painting frames, brick, stone in scupture and even construction, musical instruments,, anything and everything..
[ot ramble] no doubt. i'm constantly amazed by the scope of detailed / highly skilled work that's displayed in old architecture / scuplture, etc. i checked out la giralda (the biggest gothic cathedral in the world) when i was in seville earlier this year; the level of detail & scale of work was absolutely staggering - especially considering the relatively primitive tools & methods utillized at the time (over 400 years ago). given current material & labor costs, i don't think we'd be capable of producing comperable work of that magnitude today. its kinda sad that "old-world" craftsmanship & skills are becoming extinct...[/ot ramble]

oh yeah - gamut guides rule!

DHsloth

Chimp
Dec 30, 2005
Philippines
Kornphlake said:
I'm sure you don't have a drill bit that big or you'd have the capability to make your own guide. I'd just skip using the ISCG tabs.
Yup I second that, if you don't have enough time you can put a spacer between the chainguide and the bb. Just emough to clear the ISCG tab. Your chainline will be a little off. But its less work than drilling your boomerang...Just a suggestion though. Hope it helps...

J

J5ive

If gamut is listening? Why do you never reply to my emails? I just want to buy a guide and have it shipped here FFS!

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
black noise said:
I bet you could probably use a E13 boomerang with a Gamut bashguard. I haven't tried it but if you have a spare boomerang it's worth a shot.

Oh yeah, and Gamuts rock.
I ran a Gamut bashguard with my E13 STS when I was waiting for Gamut to send me another boomerang and it worked fine.

I got rid of the E13 and now run the Gamut. Seems a whole lot simpler to me.