Quantcast

Garage bike organization

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Show me your organization setups for your fleet of bikes in your garage

wall? Ceiling? Maglev?! Issues with spongy brakes?

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
I use the saris cycle glide above one of the cars with 6 trays. I modified the hooks to use a lock nut instead of the e-clips they are supplied with after reports of those guys popping off. I like it, I need my garage to be a multi-functional space and store a lot of stuff including two cars. Keeping bikes off valuable floor and wall space has been really good. I also have two hooks on a wall for the bikes that are currently getting the most use for my wife and I.

No issues with brakes from hanging them upside down, but, I ditched shimanos a long time ago.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my collection of obsolesence is in a room...with my records and not hooked up record player...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Organization? What organization?

We do the “lean your bike over here, I will lean mine over there”

3 that get very little use hang from their seats over a well-supported pipe on the ceiling.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Lean bikes on walls if I can get away with it so it's as easy as possible to get one out the door to go ride. My experience is the more work it is to get a bike out the door to ride on it the less likely it is that the bike gets used. This goes for all bikes in the household. Ideally the garage was only setup for bike storage where you could just roll the bike into a standing rack but right not garage is not secure enough for the fancy bikes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Lean bikes on walls if I can get away with it so it's as easy as possible to get one out the door to go ride. My experience is the more work it is to get a bike out the door to ride on it the less likely it is that the bike gets used. This goes for all bikes in the household. Ideally the garage was only setup for bike storage where you could just roll the bike into a standing rack but right not garage is not secure enough for the fancy bikes.
This also goes for a lot of things in life.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I use these, wrapped in an old inner tube to avoid scratching the rims. Solid with two M8 srews in a concrete/brick wall.

71-0811_xxl_1.jpg

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
On a girder fork of that vintage, who is to say? I have never tried to ride it on any chunk, ought to do that, except I hate to trash an antique.
It's wild they brought it out in the 90s for both front and rear even on their single crown fork. However I have never talked to anybody who have ridden a bike with the tech. Also crazy the time and money K2 sunk into mountain biking buying Noleen and Proflex and then basically disappeared.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's wild they brought it out in the 90s for both front and rear even on their single crown fork. However I have never talked to anybody who have ridden a bike with the tech. Also crazy the time and money K2 sunk into mountain biking buying Noleen and Proflex and then basically disappeared.
If I remember it right, K2 bike was part of the same company owning Iron Horse. They went under around the same time I think.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How tall are your ceilings?

I used these in the last place

interesting. The garage has tall ceilings, 11 or 12’. I will look into this if the wall mount option still is too bulky.

I like the Steady Racks because the pivoting function allows for tighter storage but easy access.
ooh, those are nice. Also $70 per bike. I’ll give this cheapo option a try first:

TORACK Bike Storage Rack, 6 Bike Racks & 5 Hooks for Garage, Wall Mount Vertical Bicycles Hanger for Home Space Saving, up to 600lbs, 64-inch https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08MFJ2DXN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ZXBF2F33VQF1MG5KXWW4

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
interesting. The garage has tall ceilings, 11 or 12’. I will look into this if the wall mount option still is too bulky.

ooh, those are nice. Also $70 per bike. I’ll give this cheapo option a try first:

TORACK Bike Storage Rack, 6 Bike Racks & 5 Hooks for Garage, Wall Mount Vertical Bicycles Hanger for Home Space Saving, up to 600lbs, 64-inch https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08MFJ2DXN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ZXBF2F33VQF1MG5KXWW4
Is this for kids bikes at all? Curious how able kids are to operate this.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is this for kids bikes at all? Curious how able kids are to operate this.
Yeah for kids bikes as well but I’ll just hang the bikes up for them if it comes down to that