Quantcast

Garage bike organization

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
interesting. The garage has tall ceilings, 11 or 12’. I will look into this if the wall mount option still is too bulky.

ooh, those are nice. Also $70 per bike. I’ll give this cheapo option a try first:

TORACK Bike Storage Rack, 6 Bike Racks & 5 Hooks for Garage, Wall Mount Vertical Bicycles Hanger for Home Space Saving, up to 600lbs, 64-inch https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08MFJ2DXN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ZXBF2F33VQF1MG5KXWW4
I got a deal on mine. Scott does the European distribution for them. I did a corny video for them a few years ago. Haha, multitasking espresso and phone calls… wtf.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
So I brought my dads old bike to my new house last trip. It’s a yellow diamond back hard tail circa 1995 with a Judy fork. Fork is blown and it’s too small for me anyways. So it had been hanging from a hook by the front wheel for 12 years. Rats had been useing it as part of their highway so it was real dirty. When I cleaned it off it’s got a crack in the head tube about 1.5 inch long. I’m kinda bummed about it. I have to wonder if it was all that gravity or what. I doubt it was cracked before as it’s pretty obvious. I guess I’m not gunna hang my bikes any more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I brought my dads old bike to my new house last trip. It’s a yellow diamond back hard tail circa 1995 with a Judy fork. Fork is blown and it’s too small for me anyways. So it had been hanging from a hook by the front wheel for 12 years. Rats had been useing it as part of their highway so it was real dirty. When I cleaned it off it’s got a crack in the head tube about 1.5 inch long. I’m kinda bummed about it. I have to wonder if it was all that gravity or what. I doubt it was cracked before as it’s pretty obvious. I guess I’m not gunna hang my bikes any more.
Seems implausible that the force of gravity x the bike's weight in and of itself could do anything at all to a head tube.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Seems implausible that the force of gravity x the bike's weight in and of itself could do anything at all to a head tube.
it does, I’m having trouble coming up with less implausible scenarios. Wait a minute, that has the workings for a catch phrase for maybe a old timye detective.

or it was rat piss. Or antifa. Or it was a piece of shit.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
it does, I’m having trouble coming up with less implausible scenarios. Wait a minute, that has the workings for a catch phrase for maybe a old timye detective.

or it was rat piss. Or antifa. Or it was a piece of shit.
I have seen this before, usually on thinner-walled aluminum bikes. Cause is that the headtube was slightly undersized (or the headset oversized), which caused higher stress than usual after pressing in the headset. When new not a big deal, but over time the tubes start corroding from the inside, creating a weak spot from where the crack starts developing. Riding the bike accelerates this, but I guess long-time storage could do it as well.

So in conclusion, Antifa sabotaged the bike to kill your dad, but he stopped riding it before the headtube exploded. Lucky him. Now the real question is, why does Antifa want to see your dad dead? ;) :D

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I have seen this before, usually on thinner-walled aluminum bikes. Cause is that the headtube was slightly undersized (or the headset oversized), which caused higher stress than usual after pressing in the headset. When new not a big deal, but over time the tubes start corroding from the inside, creating a weak spot from where the crack starts developing. Riding the bike accelerates this, but I guess long-time storage could do it as well.

So in conclusion, Antifa sabotaged the bike to kill your dad, but he stopped riding it before the headtube exploded. Lucky him. Now the real question is, why does Antifa want to see your dad dead? ;) :D
plot twist: he stopped riding it because he died. Antifa sabotaged his prostate.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
:( Sorry to hear. Did not expect this. My apologies for the insensitive comment.