Quantcast

Garage goals.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i grew up right outside pittsburgh. when i moved away i was confused why houses didn't have that.
We have one in our walk-out basement, in a tiny unfinished shitter room next to our basement kitchen. I did not know it was a Pittsburgh thing, I never saw another one here in New England.
that's funny. basement shitters and showers are the best! when we had our main floor remodeled a few years ago, I tacked on the construction of a bathroom in the basement. It's got a walk-in shower (that can fit a bike...), a shitter, a utility sink and the washer and dryer in there. Now, when I come home from a ride, I can bring my shit down to the basement, throw my dirty gear in the laundry, grab a shower and chill on the couch down for a bit. The rest of the basement isn't finished, but I spend a lot of time down there!

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Bike sized shower is brilliant! Did you have to make any special accommodations for the drain? I imagine that they aren't typically up to the task of handling that amount of gunk.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Bike sized shower is brilliant! Did you have to make any special accommodations for the drain? I imagine that they aren't typically up to the task of handling that amount of gunk.
As far as I recall, it's a utility drain, rather than a bathtub drain. In order to put the toilet down there, we had to punch a hole in the footing to dig the drain a little deeper. But it was nothing drastic. The shower is plain tiles, with a walk-in opening. I picked up what ever was on sale at Home Depot. My wife was on-board to put a bathroom down there as there was only one other in the house, and if I came home late from a ride, it would make enough noise to wake the whole house up. But she was like "no way I'm paying for a shower for your bike". The contractor said it was actually cheaper than putting in a prefab shower, so that carried the day. I don't often use it for washing the bike (I usually let the mud dry, then brush it off), but it happens a handful of times per year (usually in late spring and fall, when the hose is frozen). That basement shower has basically become my full-time everyday shower.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A shower in the basement is one of the few improvements I would do. My friend installed one without having to deal with the drain using a sump pump, just like on his boats.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Also have a basement shower/bath/laundry. Use it much like you folks have said.