Quantcast

Garbaruk Cassettes...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Have any of you run Garbaruk cassettes on your own bikes?
They make a 11-52 12 speed cassette that runs on a standard HG freehub. This would solve a problem (on a friend’s bike) of not replacing wheels in order to ditch the sun race 10-50 that’s on there. (which shifts like shit). But I don’t want to recommend it if the expensive Garbaruk doesn’t shift significantly better...

I am trying to talk her into a light carbon microspline wheelset so she can run XT and drop a pound, but budget is an issue.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Last time I looked those cassettes were what, on par with the price of an xo1 12 speed cassette, but lighter than an xx1?

I've not read any bad reports about them, they sound like good quality stuff. I looked into one, but with shipping and conversion, I cheaped out and stuck with the GX cassette.

A few hundred is much less than a new wheelset and drive train...

Which wheels does she have now? And bike? Is it worth spending all that on wheels and drivetrain, which is basically a third of the bike? Which drive train is in use now?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, it’s a new Marin Rift Zone 1, which has SLX everything except for the cassette, which they cheaped out on. The wheelset is OEM ‘Marin’ (basically really heavy garbage). She only paid ~ $2.7k for the bike, so if she wants it to be lighter, she will have to spend some coin, and IMO, Wheels is the best place to do it. Especially if it gave her HG+ shimano shifting.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well, it’s a new Marin Rift Zone 1, which has SLX everything except for the cassette, which they cheaped out on.
:disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1: I think I posted about that tactic somewhere else here. Spec with nice SLX stuff and then slip in a cheap as fuck cassette or shitty brakes. The cost savings obviously have to go somewhere, but come on... I guess for that price point it's not too bad, but when you see it happening on $5k bikes....fuck off.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I bought a 11-46 11-speed for HG. Not used it yet, but looks extremely well made. Potential issue I see is that it only connects with the freehub on both ends. Might trash the freehub body?

For me it was between this and getting a XD driver for the 240 hub and a Sram cassette, which would be more $$$ and less versatile as I can use this on other wheels as well.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Friend of mine is running them with great success. He rides a lot and is not the smallest guy around (~85 kg) so probably works for your friend.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have one of the 10-50 11 speed with the cage for M8000 derailleur. I like it better than the eagle 12 speed on my wife's bike. Shifts great and has lasted 1.5 years so far.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I will add I have been using their chainrings for awhile now and have been very happy.

They also made me a custom ring which I really needed and couldn't find anyone else who would make it.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I've put their "shimano 12s compatible" oval chainring on one of my clients bike. It looks really nice, holds the chain very well, but those parts are not hard anodised. Black ano wore off after few miles... Just so You know.

Only the biggest cog is alu on those cassettes, so shouldn't be an issue.

STS

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
I´ve just installed a 12s 11-52T HG cassette in an old GT
with all shimano 12s parts as recomended.
but still not shifting fine. some times needs to shift 2 gears to change
and some times rub trying to go up, while in other gears no problem
maybe need some time to fit

is really light and quality impresive

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I´ve just installed a 12s 11-52T HG cassette in an old GT
with all shimano 12s parts as recomended.
but still not shifting fine. some times needs to shift 2 gears to change
and some times rub trying to go up, while in other gears no problem
maybe need some time to fit

is really light and quality impresive
1600850619695.png