Quantcast

Gardens!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Who's got one and what are you growing?

When I was younger I used to have a garden every year. This year my wife and I decided to plant one and I was wondering what everybody else is growing.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Basil, thyme, tomatoes, Cilantro and a couple of flower pots/beds.

This is all done off the porch of our apartment until we have a house :plthumbsdown:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Basil, thyme, tomatoes, Cilantro and a couple of flower pots/beds.

This is all done off the porch of our apartment until we have a house :plthumbsdown:
I was going to do veggies only but maybe I'll do some herbs as well.

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
Herb garden....Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Chives, Sage

Veggies...Tomato, Strawberries, Lettuce, Collards, Various Peppers

I enjoy the herb garden much better. Looks cleaner and not as random. Plus, they grow easier than veggies from experience.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I was going to do veggies only but maybe I'll do some herbs as well.
There really is nothing like oregano or thyme going from being picked and then right in to the pot.

The best is the thyme though, VERY fragrant when it's fresh like that. go for some herbs, you won't be disappointed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Herb garden....Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Chives, Sage

Veggies...Tomato, Strawberries, Lettuce, Collards, Various Peppers

I enjoy the herb garden much better. Looks cleaner and not as random. Plus, they grow easier than veggies from experience.
Nice!!

do you grow from seeds or to you buy plants at the store?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
There really is nothing like oregano or thyme going from being picked and then right in to the pot.

The best is the thyme though, VERY fragrant when it's fresh like that. go for some herbs, you won't be disappointed.
I think I'll grow some Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Right now I have:

2 different rosemary hedges
1 lavender that isn't doing too well
2 sweet basil
1 thyme
1 purple sage, 1 tri-color sage
4 different kinds of tomatoes
1 red pepper
about 12 yellow squash
So you like yellow squash?

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
I grow tomatoes, jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros. I pretty much grow salsa.

This year I plan on buying a food dehydrator, so I can make hot pepper shake for pizzas and whatnot.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Back yard:

Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Kale
Strawberries
Red lettuce
Green lettuce
Sugar snap peas
Roma tomatoes
Ranunculus
Thomson seedless grapes
Bell peppers
English daisies
Red chard
And most likely - involuntary heirloom tomatoes will erupt from the compost bin like last year.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Weird thing this year - we couldn't get strawberries to thrive last year, but now they are going crazy and even popping up in different part of the back yard where we didn't even plant them. We started with 4 or 5 plants and now we have at least 12. We have them ringed in with flowering plants to give the snails something to munch on instead of the strawberries. Seems to be working.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Back yard:

Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Kale
Strawberries
Red lettuce
Green lettuce
Sugar snap peas
Roma tomatoes
Ranunculus
Thomson seedless grapes
Bell peppers
English daisies
Red chard
And most likely - involuntary heirloom tomatoes will erupt from the compost bin like last year.

I'm really excited about my garden this year. It is soooo hard to go green and I feel like this is a good way for my family to keep moving in that direction.

I'm even excited about making compost.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Use the search n00b! :D

That being said:

Tree tomatoes (I have no idea, they were free)
Mustard Habaneros
"Regular" Habaneros
Scotch Bonnet blend (Not sure what's in it, but it's supposed to be good)
Fatali Peppers
Big Cherry Bomb peppers
Bunch of bell peppers
Ton 'O Herbs
Wife has an assortment of veggies planned

All my stuff is from seed this year. I haven't put anything in the ground yet (considering we had snow a week ago), but I bought a grow light and things are coming along well.

I found a cool site that showed how to make plantable pots using strips of news paper, so I have transplanted my hearty sprouts to my paper pots and hope to get stuff in the ground next weekend.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This year I plan on buying a food dehydrator, so I can make hot pepper shake for pizzas and whatnot.
I air-dried a few dozen habs last year and used the coffee grinder to make a pepper flake shake that is awesome! I put it on damn near everything except pancakes, because I made a hab/maple syrup for that. :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I air-dried a few dozen habs last year and used the coffee grinder to make a pepper flake shake that is awesome! I put it on damn near everything except pancakes, because I made a hab/maple syrup for that. :D
What? Habanerro/Maple syrup? Do tell...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
my current list (growing daily, no pun intended)
silver queen
carrots
radish
beets
rosemary
spinach
parsley
squash
cukes
bell pepper
egg plant
soon: asparagus (takes a couple years to take off)

My wife has become quite the cook since my son was born. I can't wait to walk down to garden for a bounty of homegrown variety and let her whoop up some good eats. This was ordered today, makes some of the best smoothies ever! http://www.factorydirect2you.com/vita-mix-5200.html?zmam=3697690&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=5200-VM

She's currently making a breakfast concoction in our old blender that contains 15 servings of fruits and veggies in one 12 oz serving - and it tastes great. Holds me over till about 1pm!

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
Nice!!

do you grow from seeds or to you buy plants at the store?
This year I grew everything from seeds in the veggie garden.

The herbs all survived the winter, except the basil, I had bought plants from the store last year. I sprouted seeds for this years basil crop.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
my current list (growing daily, no pun intended)
silver queen
carrots
radish
beets
rosemary
spinach
parsley
squash
cukes
bell pepper
egg plant
soon: asparagus (takes a couple years to take off)

My wife has become quite the cook since my son was born. I can't wait to walk down to garden for a bounty of homegrown variety and let her whoop up some good eats. This was ordered today, makes some of the best smoothies ever! http://www.factorydirect2you.com/vita-mix-5200.html?zmam=3697690&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=5200-VM

She's currently making a breakfast concoction in our old blender that contains 15 servings of fruits and veggies in one 12 oz serving - and it tastes great. Holds me over till about 1pm!

$450 smoothie machine?

Do you burn your $50's to keep your $100's warm?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What? Habanerro/Maple syrup? Do tell...
Recipe

I used better syrup and 10 of my finest, then poured it through a strainer to make sure I got all the seeds. I ended up having to cut it with about a half bottle more because it was a bit much. The flavor is unreal and it is my excuse for waffles or pancakes just about every weekend.

My personal peppers are about 50% hotter than the habs from the local store. I learned the hard way to adjust my personal heat levels for mass consumption.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
$450 smoothie machine?

Do you burn your $50's to keep your $100's warm?
I was skeptical at first but it's legit if your into that sort of thing. we're tired of messing with old blender and plus, we're doing what our gov't wants us to do, burn thru that rebate check. at least the vitamix is made in USA...:biggrin:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I was skeptical at first but it's legit if your into that sort of thing. we're tired of messing with old blender and plus, we're doing what our gov't wants us to do, burn thru that rebate check. at least the vitamix is made in USA...:biggrin:
So what's your basic smoothie recipe?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
So what's your basic smoothie recipe?
My wife does all that, I'll post up tonight. I know that she *used* to use baby spinach, carrots, apples, lemon juice and some other ingredients and it was surprisingly good. Now, she buys a powder mix and puts frozen bananas and other stuff in and it's prolly the best smoothie I've ever tasted. I'll have more details later.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm really excited about my garden this year. It is soooo hard to go green and I feel like this is a good way for my family to keep moving in that direction.

I'm even excited about making compost.
I'm excited too. We are planning on having our baby's first solid foods coming straight from the garden.

Which reminds me - I need to get carrots and squash started. :huh:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My aunt planted those...she swore they were 6 yellow squash plants and 6 cucumber, but she got it wrong. We'll be eating tons of squash soon.
You will soon be on a yellow squash abatement program. You will never want to even look at a squash again, unless it is headed into the compost bin.

My experience anyway.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I'm excited too. We are planning on having our baby's first solid foods coming straight from the garden.

squash = easy
carrots = not so easy. have you ever grown 'em before? I got a pack started and on the instructions, it says allow 75 days and they require constant attention (thinning) after a certain point. I'm interested to see how they turn out.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

Yeah our daughter has been eating solid food for a few months now. That is exciting to think she's going to be getting food from the garden too.