Quantcast

Garmin Edge Users?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am looking to replace my 20 year old Ergo Brain. It's dead. I have been using my Garnin Fenix5 for 2 years and I like it. My basics are speed, cadence and HR so thinking about the budget Edge 130, also thinking about 530 because of all features. Most likely would not use on mountain trails but would probably use on local "fitness" XC trails. What is your experience? Do you use the enhanced features or just the basic ones? Do you use a VO2 ap?

Not looking at other brands, I've had good experience with Garmin watches.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I have had the 830 for about a month I like it because I get work calls after hours and I can screen them through the device and send a respond text without stopping on the trail, it records your air time on your jumps it's a touch screen and waaaaay more accurate than a phone

I was riding with a couple I know and their milage was about 2 miles more than my phone

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have had the 830 for about a month I like it because I get work calls after hours and I can screen them through the device and send a respond text without stopping on the trail, it records your air time on your jumps it's a touch screen and waaaaay more accurate than a phone

I was riding with a couple I know and their milage was about 2 miles more than my phone
Some reviews say the touch screen is buggy, have you had any issues?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I just upgraded my wife from a 3 1/2 year old 520 to a 530 and myself from an 8 year old 800 to an 830 a couple of weeks ago.

Both seems really good, I did put a glass screen protector on both, so that might impact my touch screen slightly. I may change to a thinner plastic one if it bugs me too much as swiping sideways in gloves sometimes just does the tap menu instead.

New features seem fun for now, on the couple of mountain bike rides I've done I've definitely been trying to jump and pop off stuff to get more recorded jumps than I would have previously.

Her 530 without touch screen seems just as good, happy to try and answer questions on either.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do you really need the Cadence on the Edge? I love the watch (Instinct that has most of the features of the Fenix) and it'll pair with various sensors. Despite having it's own HR, if you want real accurate HR, you can wear a sensor type. It pairs with temp sensors, the phone, etc. After having the watch, I just don't see the point. If it's a matter of making turnoffs and mileage, the fact that I can track mileage on the watch is huge. If it's something like Trailforks route-finding for some ride on vacation, I typically want a phone for that anyway. Watch lasts me for 100 mile races and I did a 16hr push in the Iditarod, fairly cold conditions and battery lasted around 14-15hrs tracking the whole time.

For the actual nav, I use a Etrex. It's processor is slow, but the batteries last forever, like days in the subfreezing cold while navigating. That's also where I see how stupid rechargable batteries are on such a device (uses AAs), since Li is so much better in the cold (than Li-Ion or Alkaline).

I just see cycling computers like the Edge ad not addressing all the issues in the first place and being passed up by other technology.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Do you really need the Cadence on the Edge? I love the watch (Instinct that has most of the features of the Fenix) and it'll pair with various sensors. Despite having it's own HR, if you want real accurate HR, you can wear a sensor type. It pairs with temp sensors, the phone, etc. After having the watch, I just don't see the point. If it's a matter of making turnoffs and mileage, the fact that I can track mileage on the watch is huge. If it's something like Trailforks route-finding for some ride on vacation, I typically want a phone for that anyway. Watch lasts me for 100 mile races and I did a 16hr push in the Iditarod, fairly cold conditions and battery lasted around 14-15hrs tracking the whole time.
Yes, cadence is key for me. I can connect a monitor to my watch but for my short term goals and convenience I'd prefer cadence, HR and vo2 in front of me without having to scroll functions. The other funtions aren't essential but having trailforks would be nice. Cellphone connections are unreliable where I'd use it the most. Not sure of Garmin needs a cell connection to run the ap.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
I just upgraded my wife from a 3 1/2 year old 520 to a 530 and myself from an 8 year old 800 to an 830 a couple of weeks ago.

Both seems really good, I did put a glass screen protector on both, so that might impact my touch screen slightly. I may change to a thinner plastic one if it bugs me too much as swiping sideways in gloves sometimes just does the tap menu instead.

New features seem fun for now, on the couple of mountain bike rides I've done I've definitely been trying to jump and pop off stuff to get more recorded jumps than I would have previously.

Her 530 without touch screen seems just as good, happy to try and answer questions on either.
I think some people expect it to be as sensitive and as fast as a smart phone I doubt it was designed that way

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not sure of Garmin needs a cell connection to run the ap.
You have to "authorize" the Trailforks stuff once when you first get the unit, done via the Garmin Connect app using your PB/TF login. You don't need the Trailforks app, I've never installed it.
I think some people expect it to be as sensitive and as fast as a smart phone I doubt it was designed that way
I'm not expecting phone like performance. On my 800 one of the glass screen protectors I tried made it terrible and I swapped to a thinner plastic one which was great, I'll see how I get on with this one as I've only done a few rides with it so far.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You have to "authorize" the Trailforks stuff once when you first get the unit, done via the Garmin Connect app using your PB/TF login. You don't need the Trailforks app, I've never installed it.

I'm not expecting phone like performance. On my 800 one of the glass screen protectors I tried made it terrible and I swapped to a thinner plastic one which was great, I'll see how I get on with this one as I've only done a few rides with it so far.
My last Garmin watch had a touch screen and it never an issue, even while swimming you just had to shake the water off.

My LBS has an 820 for $350, in the past I have been rewarded for paying cash with an "all sales final" type deal. I'll bite at $325 or less. If not I will order the 830 today.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008

Sorry
my smartphone comment was not directed towards you just a general comment regarding people saying it's buggy

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My last Garmin watch had a touch screen and it never an issue, even while swimming you just had to shake the water off.

My LBS has an 820 for $350, in the past I have been rewarded for paying cash with an "all sales final" type deal. I'll bite at $325 or less. If not I will order the 830 today.
Don't do the 820, 830 has plenty of improvements.

I think I paid $350 for my 830.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oops, too late, paid $295. Cannot return it. Used it for today's ride and couldn't find HR display. I may have to read the manual. It records a ton of crap. It flashed a 5% grade notice before the sign was visible.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I have the 520 edge and it's rechargeable battery only holds a 4 hour cycle, on 12 hour days thats not acceptable. I just use it to follow the friggin trail. Big thing I like on the 520 is that I can plug a mini USB into it for charging and the USB bank I have and just let it run off that all day. It's a big power cell that can full charge an iphone several times over. Last ride the usb connecting failed. Thinking sending it into Garmin for a tune up, find someone who's upgraded and get their 520, or just get the 530. I would go Etrex though I just don't do enough adventuring at the moment and would prefer to use Etrex as a backup anyway. Can the 530 be charged while being used and not on that corny battery booster junk? Is it possible to send a course from ridewithgps app on the phone to the garmin 530 wirelessly or bluetooth while in the field?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
How to throw a course from iphone onto garmin edge 520 using ridewithgps. Use ridewithgps in safari and export the file to files app. Share course file with garmin connect app. Save course in connect app then share with device via bluetooth. So many rides could have had easier starts if I had know this. Why I cannot save a .gpx file from ridewithgps app doesn't make sense though this feels good. I think Garmin 130 is how I'm going only because my mini usb on the 520 is wrecked and I'm not an electrical fixing wizard.