Quantcast

garmin nerds

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i know there's a few of us here. i was poking around the connect app and finally after all these years clicked on the "challenges" tab and signed up for a few. been using it for years, but kinda had just been doing my own thing, i thought maybe this could help me kick things up a little more. i also noticed theres also a social connection feature. was wondering if anyone would be interested in connecting and seeing what we can do with it? maybe find ways to challenge each other? talk some trash? motivate phil to ride more and run less?

@I Are Baboon @CrabJoe StretchPants @Toshi feel free to tag anyone else you know here that's on garmin.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
on another note, i just logged into connect through a browser (as opposed to smartphone app) for the first time, and discovered you can further classify cycling activities with subgroups like bmx, gravel, cyclocross/gravel, and even DH. kinda cool, but without the ability to mass/bulk edit, i won't be going back to sub classify prior rides. maybe moving forward.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i poked around group challenges for cycling. apparently you can only do longest distance over a specified duration. that's kind of a bummer. i was hoping we could do stuff like highest avg speed, highest speed, most elevation, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't really use Connect, other than to upload my Instinct activities to Strava. My Connect name is JamesNoBrakes

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am mtbbaboon on Garmin. Historically I have not used a lot of the social functions on Garmin and treat it as more of a data repository, although I've been doing a little more with the challenges and badges lately. Like Toshi, I use Strava for my social platform.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am mtbbaboon on Garmin. Historically I have not used a lot of the social functions on Garmin and treat it as more of a data repository, although I've been doing a little more with the challenges and badges lately. Like Toshi, I use Strava for my social platform.
mtbbabboon? that's a bit misleading :rofl: but now you'll have a reason to use garmin connect more.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I got my Fenix strictly for the GPS and map capabilities. I've made fun of too many people over their Strava usage to get much into the social parts of it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
There a preferred setting(s) for best GPS accuracy? I previously had mine set to the basic GPS only, but after reading online a bit, switched to GPS + GLONASS. Not sure when/how I'll manage to see how different the results are, though.

Reason I ask is there has been a very large discrepancy (20%) in distance results between that of my Fenix 5x and a friend's Lezyne unit, with mine reading higher every time.

I do have the speed sensor on the hub, which have been told increases accuracy, though not sure how. With this being my daily wear watch, I don't necessarily care about battery life, either. I typically have all the bells and whistles going at all times (phone connection, HR, etc), knowing I can charge every night if needed. I typically get 5-6 days on a full charge with 2-3 activities, anyway, which I think is really good. So I'd happily sacrifice battery life for accuracy.

Any of you guys come across this? What are you doing?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm using the Garmin GPS watch most of the time and the mileage seems pretty damn accurate, down to using it to make turns, etc. No way it's 20% off. In fact I have measured-out segments that I've verified many times and I watch these all the time when riding home or too the trails, at the "checkpoints" the GPS is always at the exact same mileage. You can get some crazy elevation differences often, since GPS is typically pretty bad at measuring elevation without WAAS and to do properly with the baro-sensor, you have to calibrate it. This typically isn't an issue with most tracking apps like Strava though, as you can "match" the ride to the topo and that should be more accurate.

I might think that speed-sensor hub might be the source of error if it's 20% off though....that's like WAY off for a GPS IMO.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm thinking it's my buddies unit that was way off....I was just more curious in general what the best settings were to ensure best accuracy on mine.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
And btw. my fenix 5 persistently underreports the gps distance compared to my friends' 5X or 6. I don't really care but the difference is pretty consistent.