Quantcast

garmin nerds

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Requested to join the Garmin group. While all my (outdoor) rides as well as some backcountry skis are uploaded to Garmin Connect, it's mostly a pass-through to get to Starva. But, it's nice to be able to see what y'all are doing in Garmin if I want to as well. Or not.

I should see about piping the indoor rides through Garmin as well, and see if those will go from Zwift > Garmin > Starva.

So much dorklogging.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Requested to join the Garmin group. While all my (outdoor) rides as well as some backcountry skis are uploaded to Garmin Connect, it's mostly a pass-through to get to Starva. But, it's nice to be able to see what y'all are doing in Garmin if I want to as well. Or not.

I should see about piping the indoor rides through Garmin as well, and see if those will go from Zwift > Garmin > Starva.

So much dorklogging.
Request received, will get on it when I'm back on the desktop.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Anyone else's Fenix charging ports corroding away? :banghead:
Contacted Garmin support, sent them pictures, they're sending me a warranty replacement. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
Just saw this now....one of the first things I did when I got my 5X was get one of those silicone dust cap/plugs for it, for fear of that happening. Glad my concern was justified.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just saw this now....one of the first things I did when I got my 5X was get one of those silicone dust cap/plugs for it, for fear of that happening. Glad my concern was justified.
They say the silicone plugs trap moisture and lead to a faster departure of the contacts. Also, your 5X should have plated pins unlike my lowly 5 so probably a non-issue for you anyway.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Me before we had a DSO to consider...

Now I have to work out can we drop the DSO at DSO daycare, make it to the ride location, do the ride and get back to pick up the DSO before they close.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Nerds, my million year old Edge 510 has shat the bed, I need a replacement but I'm a cheap-ass. I only really care about logging my millage, and like the Garmin ap because it works with my old ass Fenix watch and it's pretty easy for my idiot self to use.

What's good on the cheap for Garmin? Any 3rd party units work with the Garmin ap? Any vendors that sell re-furb Garmins I should look at?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Try and contact Garmin and see what they can do for you.

Otherwise try and find a Garmin 530 for as cheap as you can.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Love my garmin 530, but the 130 offers a lot of the features for a lower price point. If you don't want to pay 200, then maybe an older 520?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Try and contact Garmin and see what they can do for you.

Otherwise try and find a Garmin 530 for as cheap as you can.
Are they crazy generous with warranty? Assumed it would be a hard no on replacing an old ass GPS that I bought used anyway.

Why not just use the Fenix? Or do the older ones not have gps features?
2 Main reasons.

Battery life, thing is 5 years old and the battery is only good for a couple hours of GPS these days., but it'll got a week on basic smart-watch mode.

Bushes. I whack the buttons on my watch on branches all the time and have lost maybe 1/3 of my rides due to hitting the pause button on a branch or the cuff of my glove.

The watch still shows me my text messages and notifications from my kid's daycare, plus the time, that's all I need it to do so I can't quite convince myself to drop $600 on a replacement when I can just get an Edge.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Are they crazy generous with warranty? Assumed it would be a hard no on replacing an old ass GPS that I bought used anyway.
I've never tried but I believe they can be pretty good with selling cheap refurb versions of stuff if the battery or screen is giving you issues on your current device.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

2 Main reasons.

Battery life, thing is 5 years old and the battery is only good for a couple hours of GPS these days., but it'll got a week on basic smart-watch mode.

Bushes. I whack the buttons on my watch on branches all the time and have lost maybe 1/3 of my rides due to hitting the pause button on a branch or the cuff of my glove.

The watch still shows me my text messages and notifications from my kid's daycare, plus the time, that's all I need it to do so I can't quite convince myself to drop $600 on a replacement when I can just get an Edge.
Garmin Instinct watch does all the ride shit that I want and gets the texts from my phone. I was considering a phoenix at one point, except the color screen life is worse and there's just so much crap on that where I'd never or rarely use it. Instinct way cheaper. I actually "won" it in an auction, but knowing what I know now, I would have bought it outright.