Quantcast

garmin nerds

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My ride tracking got soooo much better after switching from a watch to a head unit. Better GPS signal, better auto start/stop tracking, better GPS quality, ability to use an HRM for better HR tracking, and significantly better battery life. I know RM doesn't care about anything because everything is just like so great bro, but I was really impressed by the improvement with a head unit. For both road and MTB.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Despite drawing fancy shit in Solidworks all day for money, I have the technological know how of a dead cat. I'm sure it can be done, but shit if I know how.
On my lowly Fenix 5, I set up the auto-lock to only engage during activities, that way I won't accidentally cancel my ride when bumping into a bush or cougar or other distractions. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My ride tracking got soooo much better after switching from a watch to a head unit. Better GPS signal, better auto start/stop tracking, better GPS quality, ability to use an HRM for better HR tracking, and significantly better battery life. I know RM doesn't care about anything because everything is just like so great bro, but I was really impressed by the improvement with a head unit. For both road and MTB.
lol@battery life.

Like, if they at all intended for it to be used outside where it can get hot or cold, it sure wouldn't have goddam Li Ion batteries...such a joke. I got an e-trex for when shit hits the fan. I think I changed the batteries 2 times over 7 days on the Iditarod. Lithium for the win.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I prefer the watch thing for a few reasons, mainly:

1) I wear a watch anyway.
2) Won't ever forget to bring it on a ride/hike (see line 1)
3) Much less exposed and likely to fly off/get smashed in the event of a crash.
4) SO MANY COLOR BANDS