Quantcast

Gary Fisher brand kaput

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
...sorta:
First it was Bontrager, then Lemond and Klein, and now Gary Fisher is discontinued as a stand-alone bicycle brand.

Whereas once the Trek Bicycle Corporation seemed poised to purchase as many high profile niche bicycle labels as it could, in recent years it's steadily proceeded to instead roll everything under the 'Trek' label. Bontrager is now the company's component, accessory and wheel nameplate; Klein is a mere shadow of itself available almost exclusively in Asia; it's hard not to remember what happened with Lemond and now even the Gary Fisher sub-brand will cease to exist. As of the 2011 model year, Gary Fisher bicycles will become Trek's 'Gary Fisher Collection'.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/trek-bicycle-corporation-kills-off-gary-fisher-bicycles-26615?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRGENHOME

i hope they kill the 29er too

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Retiring Gary would create a happy me.

Lemond is a douche that needs to go away.

A true Madone CX bike would be dreamy to me.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
29ers are taking over in my neck of the woods. I rode the Rumblefish 29er at a demo and, once I got over it's resistance to my trying to throw it around I concluded that it was one of the best feeling bikes I have ever been on.

I then proceeded to get back on my own bike which then felt like a tinker toy.

Anyway, yeah I hope the 29er dies because I am feeling the urge to buy one :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
29ers are taking over in my neck of the woods. I rode the Rumblefish 29er at a demo and, once I got over it's resistance to my trying to throw it around I concluded that it was one of the best feeling bikes I have ever been on.

I then proceeded to get back on my own bike which then felt like a tinker toy.

Anyway, yeah I hope the 29er dies because I am feeling the urge to buy one :D
Dammit, I couldn't quite dig the Rumblefish. I liked the specs and features, but the feel was a bit off. I ended up with a Roscoe, which is the 26 cousin of the 'fish. There are times where I wish I'd have gone 29, but overall, I'm happy with my purchase. Agreed, trying to throw the Rumble 'round isn't a good idea :rant:

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
I see that drunk all time in Fairfax.
Why don't you quickly list your own cycling accomplishments so we know why you're qualified to insult a guy who has done a lot for mountain biking, but apparently less than you have?

Gary doesn't live in Fairfax, and he is hardly a drunk, although we have had a few drinks together during the 40 years I have known him. Check my profile.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Gary Fisher bikes = epic fail

The people in my shop were talking about it, and they were like its soo good that they integrated two awesome companies.... I was like dude, you did know that Trek has owned Gary Fisher, Bontrager, and Lemond since the 90s right... Hence the reason the bikes always have the same ****ty ass yokes, and they break in the same places.

I got a good laugh on what it said on the website devoted to this little collection intro... "Trek, the best bike builder in the world"

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I actually demo-ed a Fisher Superfly and like it...weird for me as I really have NOT liked any of the other 29ers I have ridden. The geometry was spot on for me but I don't really have the need for another hardtail in my stable and I love my Orbea too much to replace it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I actually demo-ed a Fisher Superfly and like it...weird for me as I really have NOT liked any of the other 29ers I have ridden. The geometry was spot on for me but I don't really have the need for another hardtail in my stable and I love my Orbea too much to replace it.
psssssssst.........Orbea makes a pretty sweet 29er as well. :thumb:

You may have liked the G2 geo on the fisher though. They do do it a bit different than the rest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
when you can get the same bike, or characteristics through trek, why wouldn't you?

no big surprise, god bless the death of badge engineering.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
When I worked in a shop years ago, we were a Fisher dealer. The old steel Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail was my favorite bike ever. I would take the shop one out every opportunity I could.
By the time I could afford one, they made it aluminum and I completely lost all interest in the brand.
Oh yes, the Joshua's sucked balls.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
*Meh* lost any interest in Gary fisher bikes back when he brought out those horrible bloody Y bikes.
No loss.
Those were Treks.

My first real mountain bike was a Fisher. It was replaced with a Trek-owned Gary Fisher under warranty. Those bikes were dialed in unlike any other bikes on the market at the time. These days, every bike has the same cookie-cutter geometry. There aren't really any secrets of bike handling anymore.

Gone are the good old days of brand differentiation.

Bontrager was a Santa Cruz company that made some very nice frames that I coveted in my early years of riding. It's sad to see the Bontrager name plastered on all kinds of mediocre components.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Those were Treks.
They were treks yes, but the y were sold with the Gary Fisher monkier plastered all over the frame down here. ;)

Bontrager was a Santa Cruz company that made some very nice frames that I coveted in my early years of riding. It's sad to see the Bontrager name plastered on all kinds of mediocre components.
Yes I used to lust after a Bontager frame.... Wonder if Keith still shows up at the bike awards he used to sponsor, the "People who actually make their own sh!t awards" or something like that. :rolleyes:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
The new GF full susp bikes essentially use the same suspension as the treks do nowadays anyway (APB, pivot around the axle), who didn't see this coming?

SuperJETT

Chimp
Nov 28, 2009
When I worked in a shop years ago, we were a Fisher dealer. The old steel Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail was my favorite bike ever. I would take the shop one out every opportunity I could.
That was my first bike, a red one that I bought last fall used setup as a single speed. I switched it to 1x9 then 2x9 before buying a fs bike. I traded it to my lbs for some labor.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
*At the Klunkerz video premiere in Somerville, MA*

Me: (Drunk...) "Who the hell is this nutcase talking on stage?"
Friend: "That's Gary Fisher."
Me:"Oh.................he's really annoying."

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just because you were a trend setter 30 years ago doesn't make you a trend setter today. Jordan can still sell, but at some point, even his brand will fade as people forget.

Fisher didn't really innovate. Somehow, they got the trickle down technology from Trek and no real special innovation in the past 10 years. It stinks to see any brand fail.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why don't you quickly list your own cycling accomplishments so we know why you're qualified to insult a guy who has done a lot for mountain biking, but apparently less than you have?

Gary doesn't live in Fairfax, and he is hardly a drunk, although we have had a few drinks together during the 40 years I have known him. Check my profile.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Fisher didn't really innovate. Somehow, they got the trickle down technology from Trek and no real special innovation in the past 10 years. It stinks to see any brand fail.
they just kept pushing their 29er fad down everyone's throat hoping someone wont puke it up.

i rode their 29" Rumblefish and it sucked.

we get it. you are a MTB icon. take your silly clothes and shut up.

Check my profile.
dont toot that horn too loud, it might turn into a vuvuzela

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Aside from his arguable contributions to the beginnings of the sport, I can think of three things off-hand his company did that were good: The evolution headset (precursor to 1.5), long top tubes and shorter stems, and sponsoring paola.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Werd the superfly is the only 29er I have ever liked the feel of. A friend got one and that thing is way snappier than any other big wheel I have been on.