Quantcast

gas at $20/gallon

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Since when did you start riding on the short bus?
it was a greyhound bus...

i'm pretty sure the guy was also just exaggerating his views a bit to piss off the ultra-liberal, hippy chick he was debating with. i commend him for his effort to annoy her, especially seeing as how she was so damn opinionated about everything and was adamant that she was right about everything.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Not an original idea, but:
I think gas should be $7 a gallon, the other $3-4 should go towards socialized car insurance.
i'm not completely on top of everything to do with insurance, so do you mind explaining what you think the benefit of that would be?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Wrong. Take the money out of the equation altogether, and nationalize the hospital system. You're buying into the "I'm a blue collar guy and this is what I should believe" crap.

The fact that healthcare is so expensive right now has little to do with malpractice and more to do with monopolization, marketing, and greed.

We could start fixing by euthanizing every healthcare industry CEO. Those dudes kill a lot of people.
i find it vexing that those who trust the government the least wish for more governmental control. :twitch:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
i find it vexing that those who trust the government the least wish for more governmental control. :twitch:
Governments are dynamic. Corporations, in a capitalist sense, are not.

That said, the American government is becoming nothing more than a puppet of corporations, hence the reason there will never be any real healthcare reform (replace healthcare with anything that won't make MNCs money) without massive change politically, socially, and economically.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I never want to pay socialized health care out of pocket. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat fast food.

Let the idiots who are killing themselves take care of the price of health care.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I never want to pay socialized health care out of pocket. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat fast food.

Let the idiots who are killing themselves take care of the price of health care.
Since you live on/near the coast and theoretically are more vulnerable to invasion from a foreign country, you should really be picking up most of the tab for the military. Maybe you and the East Coast could split it up?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Do you ride a mountain bike?
Yes, have not come close to killing myself, in fact I have improved my health tremendously.

Lost weight, gained muscle. Lower heart rate.

I don't like DH, feel too out of control.

Smoking does not even compare with mountain biking, nor does liquor related deaths and accidents.

After reading Fast food Nation & Omnivores Dilemma I doubt mountain biking even comes near the fast foods industry's death rate.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Since you live on/near the coast and theoretically are more vulnerable to invasion from a foreign country, you should really be picking up most of the tab for the military. Maybe you and the East Coast could split it up?
How can you even make that comparison?

No one will invade us. It's all about bombs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

I suppose you are invulnerable to car accidents, being hit by a bus, being hit by lightning or simply tripping and falling down the stairs?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Blue? I mean Cmon man, why does everyones pocket book need to suffer. Those taxes could pay most of the cost of health care.

Do you have a vendetta against the rich?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I have no problem paying a little bit. I have a problem paying 60% of my income for it.

How is it a bad Idea to redirect those taxes?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I'll say it again because I got ignored the first time around. Our system only works because we rely on cheap energy and unsustainable overconsumption. And it cannot last forever, because oil will get used up!

It's something we will have to face, in a few decades when gas is that expensive we'll be faced with a massive problem and "dude, I can't change my lifestyle" won't fly. It's worth debating, not brushing off just because toshi has an especially romantic view of the future.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Blue? I mean Cmon man, why does everyones pocket book need to suffer. Those taxes could pay most of the cost of health care.

Do you have a vendetta against the rich?
You're aware that healthcare spending is currently 16% of the GDP?

You really think what you proposed will cover that?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Increase the taxes. Look at the liquor tax in Canada.
I thought you were all about the free market? I uh...strongly...doubt even the revenues from all three sectors you proposed total 16% of the GDP, let alone free profit to raid from. Are you thinking logically here?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I thought you were all about the free market? I uh...strongly...doubt even the revenues from all three sectors you proposed total 16% of the GDP, let alone free profit to raid from. Are you thinking logically here?
Where do you get this 16 percent? i SEE 9 IN THREE DIFFERENT PLACES

ata published in an OECD report called "Healthcare at a glance 2007" show that its 30 member economies spent an average of 9.0 percent of their gross domestic product (GDP) on health needs

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Where do you get this 16 percent? i SEE 9 IN THREE DIFFERENT PLACES
Uhhh...are you looking at global statistics or something?

The U.S. spends more on health care, both as a proportion of gross domestic product (GDP) and on a per-capita basis, than any other nation in the world. Current estimates put U.S. healthcare spending at approximately 15% of GDP, the world's highest.[1] The health share of GDP is expected to continue its historical upward trend, reaching 19.6 percent of GDP by 2016.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_the_United_States#_note-0

http://www.who.int/whr/2006/whr06_en.pdf

:disgust1:

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Look whatever you guys. Think about this Blue, if you get out of college & make 60k a year and then have to pay over 35k a year in healthcare how much do you have to live on?

25k, poverty line in my area.

Why would you wish tat on anyone? My parents can't afford that. They are helping me & my sister through college. They have a morgage & car payments.

How can you ask that?

WE only payed 15k for health care last year. It hurt more than ever, but paying close 60k? My family won't survive.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I have no problem paying a little bit. I have a problem paying 60% of my income for it.
are you talking about how people in sweden pay a decent chunk of their income to the government?

with that the government provides education(up to a college degree i believe), housing, and healthcare to everyone.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Yes, have not come close to killing myself, in fact I have improved my health tremendously.

Lost weight, gained muscle. Lower heart rate.

I don't like DH, feel too out of control.

Smoking does not even compare with mountain biking, nor does liquor related deaths and accidents.

After reading Fast food Nation & Omnivores Dilemma I doubt mountain biking even comes near the fast foods industry's death rate.
A. You're not having enough fun
B. You're very young...that's easy. I gained 20lbs of muscle and lost 2% bodyfat in a summer to play college football (and no, I didn't do it illegally).
C. Damn. You're a well-read man.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Look whatever you guys. Think about this Blue, if you get out of college & make 60k a year and then have to pay over 35k a year in healthcare how much do you have to live on?

25k, poverty line in my area.

Why would you wish tat on anyone? My parents can't afford that. They are helping me & my sister through college. They have a morgage & car payments.

How can you ask that?

WE only payed 15k for health care last year. It hurt more than ever, but paying close 60k? My family won't survive.
No ****. The system is broken, costs are going up everywhere because it is a for profit system. Big Pharma has the same, lesser effect, on other nationalized healthcare systems.

To say you're going to pay for it with taxes on cigarettes, booze, and fast food is delusional. Everyone must pay, but without profit or an impetous for profit, costs will drastically decrease and your precious family unit won't pay 60% of their income towards taxes towards heathcare.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Unfortunately, there is no fix that leaves everyone happy. Something will give at some point and people will HAVE to adjust/survive. Better to start adjusting/acclimatizing slowly now, instead of a giant surprise in a few years...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
BTW, just to let you all know. I am voting for Hillary.
i thought you were all about guiliani?

or did the thought of hillary flashing her titties entice you to change your vote?

one of my friends said that event will probably be much like that time the nazis decided to open up the lost ark...