Quantcast

gas at $20/gallon

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
oh, and for the record, i've gotten negative rep for this thread from two people. draw your own conclusions:

skatetokil
Red Rabbit

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
what if gas were $20/gallon but an amazon.com-like store (that offered everything) had free overnight shipping and was the same shelf price as wallyworld?
1) if gas was $20/g there is no way anyplace would include free overnight shipping on every order.

2)what if I was buying milk? or eggs? or beer? Amazon going to sell/ship that too?

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
What I would like to see by 2010 is a real alternative to oil so that its cost is irrelevent to how we live our lives.
since the oil companies own the patents for most of the alternatives to oil (because our darling government sold them to the oil companies) there probably wont be a seriously viable alternative until oil is no longer profitable. thus, make oil less profitable, get more alternatives.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
1) if gas was $20/g there is no way anyplace would include free overnight shipping on every order.

2)what if I was buying milk? or eggs? or beer? Amazon going to sell/ship that too?
if the profit margin built into the product is high enough then they certainly could include shipping. think about the overhead to run a real store...

and yes, all of the above. sort of like the dot com boom (kozmo.com anyone?) only "for real."

a picture of utopia:

no supermarkets
no retail stores (i guess i'd have to invent a biometric scanner that'd size up exactly how fat the person in front of the computer was to ensure that clothes fit :lighten: )
no office buildings
trains carting goods about, a la "atlas shrugged" only without the collapse

everyone who possibly could would do their work from home, and would only leave the house for social gatherings and recreation. those who work out in the field would find that the current infrastructure is more than adequate.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Please keep in mind that when gas reaches that prices, the alternate mdoes of transportation will also become more expensive due to demand. Ie. bikes, mass-transit, etc.
Wrong, mass transit costs will fall through the floor if the majority of the population commutes on them. Computers used to cost $10,000 until everyone buying them brought the cost way down.

Toshi, I missed that you were from Seattle. I have to say this city is making serious strides towards being able to handle $20/gal prices. Not widening freeways, expansive bus service, and they're building light rail in town. Plus if you're within the city limits all your necessary stores aren't too far away.

And to everyone saying "Oh jeez don't wish it, you'll think different when you have to drive your fam to the hospital lol," maybe this is just a taste of what the rest of the world has to deal with all the time. Most of the world does not own a car, and they've designed their system around walking, biking, and mass transit. Unfortunately, we've designed our cities around being able to drive 40 miles to the store or work easily. Yeah it sucks that we're stuck with it but face the facts, it won't last more than a decade or two longer before all cities have to adapt.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The point is that if this worked as Toshi is suggests, and it drove the economy towards thriving small local shops built right in the community, you wouldn't have to go to Wal-Mart to get everything. All of your groceries and goods would actually be very local to you, directly in your immediate community.

It takes me most of a gallon of gas to get to Wal-Mart and back. At $3, that's not a problem. At $20, it suddenly makes my decision to go there very difficult.
oops, i fordot to mention it takes me 5 minutes to walk to wal-mart, and its the closest store.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The example like that that made me scratch my head the most is that the Iron Horse Sunday frames that were built here in the US,
are then shipped to Taiwan to be assembled into a complete bike.
Then shipped back here and sold here.
Its that much cheaper that it makes the shipping worthwhile.
Thats the world we live in.:twitch:
Rural people living in a global economy.
Technology is the only bailout I can imagine that will keep the world from turning upside down when the oil crisis really gets bad.
Certain countries have gone out of their way to make an environment friendly to manufacturing. Places like Taiwan and Vietnam have tried to specialize in certain industries. Try buying a backpack that wasn't made in Vietnam.

Meanwhile this country has almost gone out it's way to **** on manufacturing. The lastes round of cluster****s is screwing my company right now. Almost everything we make has been deemed export restricted as it could be used in manufacturing WMD's. Of course there is absolutely nothing special or specific to our products that make them capable of producing WMD's. But it has made it extremely difficult for us export things. Of course similar products made in other countries have the same level of technology and have no restrictions so we automatically are less competative to export. Throw in economy of scale with the loss of the export market and foreign competitors are even stronger in our domestic market.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
oh, and for the record, i've gotten negative rep for this thread from two people. draw your own conclusions:

skatetokil
Red Rabbit
I should negative rep you for introducing a thought provoking thread into the lounge. This should have been started in the politics forum where everyone is so jaded we would have just ignored the topic and cracked jokes while making light of N8's mental retardation.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I started reading the thread and there was just a bunch of repetetive Toshi hating so I didn't bother reading the rest. Wasn't trying to copy you, we just had similar thoughts.
well as they say, great minds think alike.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi if you own a single piece of clothing or consumer item that is not a necessity to live and hasn't been manufactured directly, I'm afraid that you have no business starting threads like this. As a matter of fact, my loathing for you grows stronger with every post you make in here.

</thread>

:D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
this thread has jumped the shark. it was a good ride, at least.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Mildly related....I heard on NPR the other day that most beef consumed by americans is shipped from australia because the beef raised in the US exceeds the fat content allowed by the FDA.....
pretty sure that is false. Pollan's novel Omnivores Dilemma shows that most of our beef come from overcrowded feedlots. Maybe Ronald macdonald does.

FDA gets mad about feces in the meat, but they are still very lenient.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
great thread Toshi:thumb:
why thank you, D. this thread and the one on the Brammo Enertia (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193516) sparked much reading on my part about car vs. motorcycle smog-producing emissions, total life cycle energy cost and greenhouse gas emissions, and general lifestyle choices...

one thought that came to me last week:

what proportion of an individual's total energy usage is dependent on where they live? for example, how does living in Houston, what with air conditioning and driving everywhere, compare to living in Seattle, with a temperate climate and public transit, or to Nome, Alaska, for that matter?

in other words: due to non-automotive variables in energy use dictated by climate and city layout could it be possible that a Expedition driver in Seattle uses less energy than a Honda Insight driver in El Paso?

:lighten:

(NB: i don't know the answer to this.)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what proportion of an individual's total energy usage is dependent on where they live? for example, how does living in Houston, what with air conditioning and driving everywhere, compare to living in Seattle, with a temperate climate and public transit, or to Nome, Alaska, for that matter?
Interesting idea.

Except that not everyone can live in a temperate climate, just no room.

But I think where you're going with this is carbon credits/expenditures?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
why thank you, D. this thread and the one on the Brammo Enertia (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193516) sparked much reading on my part about car vs. motorcycle smog-producing emissions, total life cycle energy cost and greenhouse gas emissions, and general lifestyle choices...

one thought that came to me last week:

in other words: due to non-automotive variables in energy use dictated by climate and city layout could it be possible that a Expedition driver in Seattle uses less energy than a Honda Insight driver in El Paso?

:lighten:

(NB: i don't know the answer to this.)
hmm...well I can offer this:

I was living in SoCal commuting to work 30 minutes each way. I was averaging about 380 miles to a 13 gal tank(I was typically driving about 75mph). I also drove to and from various MTB locations that were anywhere from 15-110miles away. My gas spending was about $100 a week at $3/gal

Now I'm in Nanaimo and I work about 10 minutes away. I'm currently driving but as soon as it gets warmer I will be riding to work full time. All the businesses that we use are 8km....so we pretty much walk everywhere. My gas cost now is about $55 every 2 weeks and it's currently $4.98/gal

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
:disgust: Oh ya I am all ears on that one, I understand that Ag makes up 1% of the US GDP and that the total food industry is roughly 18% but where do you think food comes from. . . ?:lighten:
If you took my quote out of context to be entertaining, it didn't work.

Otherwise, you clearly misunderstood.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wal-mart, in an effort to make more money, is doing a pilot that integrates their stores in small settings in the community.....similar to a mom and pop grocery store
except with some actual selection and decent prices unlike the fabled mom & pop stores of yesteryear

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
ok just so I am thinking on the same page, are you saying we are out of the farming age as in where every tom, dick & harry has a cow and some chickens in there back yard? If so I totally agree with you.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hmm...well I can offer this:

I was living in SoCal commuting to work 30 minutes each way. I was averaging about 380 miles to a 13 gal tank(I was typically driving about 75mph). I also drove to and from various MTB locations that were anywhere from 15-110miles away. My gas spending was about $100 a week at $3/gal

Now I'm in Nanaimo and I work about 10 minutes away. I'm currently driving but as soon as it gets warmer I will be riding to work full time. All the businesses that we use are 8km....so we pretty much walk everywhere. My gas cost now is about $55 every 2 weeks and it's currently $4.98/gal
how much did it cost to heat your home/condo/whatever in SoCal? how does this compare in Nanaimo? are you living in a well-insulated igloo?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Interesting idea.

Except that not everyone can live in a temperate climate, just no room.

But I think where you're going with this is carbon credits/expenditures?
no, i'm just thinking aloud about the direction that public policy should go. would it ever be politically feasible to suggest that people move away from, say, LA for obvious reasons (such as there not being enough water)?

carbon credits are another topic, and on the consumer scale i'm not convinced. on an industry- or country-wide scale they have merit, but as far as i could tell given 15 minutes of reading commercial outfits that sell carbon offsets (eg, terrapass) are extremely shady.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
how much did it cost to heat your home/condo/whatever in SoCal? how does this compare in Nanaimo? are you living in a well-insulated igloo?
Well I like heat so we never used the AC and it never was cold enough to turn on the heat. I just had a new oil tank installed for our house here and we're running on biodiesel....still getting used to it...D

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
just throwing this out there but i heard that the batteries the hybrid cars are devestating to the enviornment. like... really BAD

just what i herd so dont flame if i am wrong