Quantcast

gas line const. at windrock.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
this is mainly for anyone from out of town planning to sink a ton of $$$ in their gas tank.

hold off for a few weeks.

there's a gas line being installed across the top of the mt.
and as of now it's cut our upper trail in half, making the waterfall as high as you can go at the present time.
the line is running along the gravel road that leads to our upper jumps.
cutting across on the run-out below the bulkhead.
this is temporary and won't affect the trail at all in the long run.

i'm not sure how long this is going to affect us.
but i'd be safe in saying it'll probably be a couple of weeks before it gets back to normal.

i'll let ya'll know when it's complete.

dhbuilder said:
this is mainly for anyone from out of town planning to sink a ton of $$$ in their gas tank.

hold off for a few weeks.

there's a gas line being installed across the top of the mt.
and as of now it's cut our upper trail in half, making the waterfall as high as you can go at the present time.
the line is running along the gravel road that leads to our upper jumps.
cutting across on the run-out below the bulkhead.
this is temporary and won't affect the trail at all in the long run.

i'm not sure how long this is going to affect us.
but i'd be safe in saying it'll probably be a couple of weeks before it gets back to normal.

i'll let ya'll know when it's complete.
Thanks for the update Joey. Was hoping to get up that way around labor day weekend, hopefully they will be done by then. Any idea why they are putting a Gas line thru there:confused:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
since the beginning of the year, there's been a drilling co. up here sinking gas wells in all around the south face of these mts.
(a common practice now in these old strip mine areas in the so.east.)

i guess this is just part of their ongoing program to tie all the producing wells together.

right now it seems like all they're doing is trenching down about six feet and laying out sections of pipe.
this is going to go along for many many miles across the mt.

if it's going to be awhile before they set and bury the line.
i'll build a temporary ramp/jump over the trench.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
since the beginning of the year, there's been a drilling co. up here sinking gas wells in all around the south face of these mts.
(a common practice now in these old strip mine areas in the so.east.)

i guess this is just part of their ongoing program to tie all the producing wells together.
Heck everyone around these here parts knows that if they don't remove the gas the mountain will explode.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
Heck everyone around these here parts knows that if they don't remove the gas the mountain will explode.
that's funny.

the oldtimers around here have told me, that as much coal as they mined out of here over the decades and as hollow as these mts' are now.
they're surprised they haven't imploded.

i'm thinking that's why this place perculates so much water in the winter and spring.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
LOOnatic said:
Ya Joey me and the guys will be there labor weekend also.
Damn it. I'll be racing at Whiteface that weekend. Are you going to come back later in the Fall for our annual get together?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it does seem like he's timing his visits, knowing you won't be there.

well have to get him to drag his crew back up in late october.

hey loo.
i've talked with the highgear crew at snowshoe recently.
we're going to try getting co-ordinated on an october date instead of november.

they've been really pushing their luck on the weather in november the past two years.
also in the spring too.

we're talking about not opening trails to the masses until early april from now on.
to avoid planning a big group ride, only to have the ocasional harsh spring storms ruin the weekend like this past springs washout.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ChrisKring said:
Joey

Hasn't anyone told you yet? High Gear brings good weather. Look at our track record. You want us there full time.

come to think of it.........:)

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I might bring some of the VB crew in that weekend too.

I've got the Demo and I can brake drag with the best of them, but do you think a Nomad would be able to work there? I've ridden there, and have rendered my opinion locally as to this question, but I sort of want the word of god on this topic.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Tattooo said:
I might bring some of the VB crew in that weekend too.

I've got the Demo and I can brake drag with the best of them, but do you think a Nomad would be able to work there? I've ridden there, and have rendered my opinion locally as to this question, but I sort of want the word of god on this topic.
A guy from our team rode his heckler at Windrock and had a good time. That said, a DH bike is the prefered sled of choice.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
My buddy has skills that make all the technology I use to ride look like Debbie Gibson in a Hell's Angles knife fight. As such, he might be able to make the skinny kid variant DH bike work the ride.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
LOOnatic said:
Good luck at whiteface. I was pretty bored there last summer.
There is a race. The course drops 2500 feet. I really want to race a long DH race. I think it is something that I might be better prepared for more than the regular Joe DH because of our longer runs at Windrock. Plus I dropping Meghann off in NYC while I go up to Whiteface. So it scores me wifey points while I DH. So all is good.

Later in the season, get yourself to Ala and ride up with Brazwell to Windrock.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
doug called tonight after his wednesday evening session, and said the gas line has been buried and the run-out from the bulkhead is smoother than before.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
dhbuilder said:
doug called tonight after his wednesday evening session, and said the gas line has been buried and the run-out from the bulkhead is smoother than before.
double -> 10' longer triple :thumb:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
actually the plan is to build up the lander and add another big double right after that one.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
and if there's enough fresh dirt up there now that they buried that line.
i'd still like to build a medium sized jump at the end of the bulkhead run-out. right as we come out on the road.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ChrisKring said:
How about a longer lander off the current jump slightly to the right hand side of the current landing? Somewhat of a hip jump but not as stupid.
that lander will be made steeper to help boost into the new second jump.
and it's already much wider than the jump itself.
can't very well make a hip jump out of a 35-40 m.p.h. straight on approach.

there'll probably be a new hip type jump as you drop in off the edge of the pavement at the beginning of the last little bit of singletrack at the bottom of the mt. by the time ya'll show up in the fall.