Quantcast

Gas Price Debate!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by PsychO!1
No thanks....I have a hard enough time not attracting the police, last thing i need is a vehicle that smells like doughnuts!!!:D
Ah LOL! Finally - the real reason diesels don't catch on in this country.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by buildyourown

My truck gets bad mileage (15mpg) because it is geared for towing and has a 3 sp tranny. I've heard of people getting 20-22 with the same motor with better gearing.

The beetle has a tiny trunk. I could probably get my bike in there if I took the wheels off.

I think ours get about 18-20, but it's geared for the hwy.

I'm looking at used diesel beetles(there are a ton for sale)but I like to have my bike out of site while I'm at work.

Thanks for all the engine and fuel info, T. Kevin and I are pretty clueless when it comes to diesels.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
So the big diesel engines used in US trucks - how many mile you think someone could get out of them? 200K? More?
My '88 POS Chevy is at ~ 230k and the motor is outlasting everything else. The odometer stopped working at 156k. I imagine the 6.2 NA last longer than the turbos since they run cooler and have lower compression, but thats just a guess.

Shredder

Chimp
Sep 28, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Problem is we use so much oil that we would never even come close to meeting our fuel demands from our own reserves. The only solution is to reduce fuel consumption - but the average American refuses to make any lifestyle changes.

I agree completely. I feel that we should be paying the same unsubsidized prices as Europeans because

A) People would drive less
B) People would move closer to their job or find a new job to shorten the commute
C) People would buy more fuel efficient cars.

The longterm benefits of these reasons are

A) LESS AIR PULLUTION
B) Way less traffic
C) Less time wasted in your car when you could be doing more meaningful or productive things.

Ride your bike to work - help solve America's overweight problem. Have the government divert the costs of subsidized oil to better public transportation. Tell me, is this not common sense??

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
One good thing about America is that basic supply and demand economics dominates the market place...Even with politicians having their fingers in the big pot of oil. Be glad you don't live in a country where they cut off body parts for disagreeing with the gov'nt.

People need to do a better job of deterimining WANTS and NEEDS on their own instead of letting marketing agencies determine for them. Do you NEED an '04 Esclade or just WANT it?

Likewise, do you NEED an over priced '04 Toyota hybrid or just WANT it? Ar e you sure someone didint fool you into thinking that saving 18% on gas economy and being environmentally friendly was worth the $650/month in payments, insurance, etc?

So my whole point- If you don't like the product or the price, don't buy it. If you don't NEED it, consider your inventory of WANTs (usually they are abundant in the neighborhood of 0.01 want per gallon).

You can't justify complaining about gas prices if you bought an SUV in the past decade. If you are the original owner of a 1982 Suburban- well, you have the right to complain.

I drive a big gas guzzling ford truck. How much does the recent gas price increase it cost me? 25 gallon tank x 1.25 tanks/week x ( $2.10/gal - $1.70/gal = $0.40/gal) = 12.50 per week. That's well within the cushin I allowed myself when I chose to satisfy my WANT of a big new truck.

I'm gunna go do some doughnuts in the driveway and shoot beer cans with my 30-06!