Quantcast

Gas prices and Mass Transit

Do you ride the bus? Complain about gas prices?

• No (bus riding), No (complaining about gas $$)

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • No (bus), Yes (harping about gas)

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Yes (bus), Yes (gas)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Yes (bus), No (gas)

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • N8 is the new CowboyNeal?

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
For what? :think:
I don't see a poll and it's not an "or" statement. However, intuition suggests that I'm to pick one over the other. Mass transit rules. I take the train to work three days a week.

edit: oh the poll is there now. Add something about taking the train/subway/bart/mac.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no bus service where i live. but i don't complain about gas prices. it was a fairly major consideration for me when i bought my car.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
no bus service where i live. but i don't complain about gas prices. it was a fairly major consideration for me when i bought my car.
and you don't feel like you're becoming a girly man for not driving a lifted Dodge Ram on 37" mudders?!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I would love to but trying to take public transpo to my job would be a nightmare. Los Angeles public transpo is awful.

I don't really complain about gas prices. It costs what it costs, which is still a lot less than many places in the world, including Europe. If I am going somewhere close to home I ride. I would like it if gas prices were lower but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
american's pre-occupation/self-validation wrt to vehicles is very peculiar to me.
and i'm proud to say i'm jumping right back into that fray with my new/used vehicle :D . on the other hand, i don't commute with the car whatsoever, so it's a pleasure/grocery-trip only vehicle.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Half the time I bike commute. I actually can beat the express bus from my home to work and get a workout at the same time, 20 miles each way.

The other half of the time I drive. There are four express buses to my burb so If I don't leave work between 3:45 and 5:15, I'm stuck or facing a two hour urban bus ride. It's real pleasent sitting next to urine soaked homeless people with bags of cans, rambling incoherently because they were let out of the state mental hospital with no support system or medicine. Yes I complain about gas prices.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
There is no bus service between Simsbury, CT and Springfield, MA. I hate high gas prices as much as anyone does, but I don't complain about it either. I knew what I was getting into when I took this job.

<--- 70 mile round trip commute

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Reactor said:
It's real pleasent sitting next to urine soaked homeless people with bags of cans, rambling incoherently because they were let out of the state mental hospital with no support system or medicine.
Good thing you're better than less fortunate people!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
where is Brian HCM#1? we need him to chime in that he's not angry about gas prices, but he just wishes that he could buy a whole tanker truck full of it at a time :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
(rehashing point from the last time i posted a thread like this, heh)

you people with long commutes: did you consciously make a choice when you bought your condo/house? as in "the commute will suck, i'm not near a train or bus route, but this house is $ whereas living elsewhere would be $$$"

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Toshi said:
where is Brian HCM#1? we need him to chime in that he's not angry about gas prices, but he just wishes that he could buy a whole tanker truck full of it at a time :D
LMAO! "My damn bank cuts me off at $500 at the gas pump each time!"

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Toshi said:

you people with long commutes: did you consciously make a choice when you bought your condo/house? as in "the commute will suck, i'm not near a train or bus route, but this house is $ whereas living elsewhere would be $$$"
Well we were living in an apartment when I took this job. The salary was higher than I was looking for, so I figured the higher salary would help offset the extra gas expense. Moving into the house did not change my commute distance.

edit: my commute does not really suck...it's just long. I don't hit any traffic.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Toshi said:

I used to work a few blocks away, but then took a job 16 miles from my place, no biggie. Even in the AZ sun, it's not too bad of a commute. (there are many bars along the way...)

:think:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Toshi said:

Well, when I bought my condo yes I made a conscious choice to live near the city were my job was and commute via bus. But then I changed jobs and now have to commute via car. However, I like the neighborhood I'm living at and don't plan on moving closer to work. The Eastside just doesn't do it for me.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I'm usually on a motorbike, and take subway when the weather is crap.

Gas here is retarded expensive compared to Vancouver, but the enduro sips the stuff compared to my sportscar at home.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
No and No. My commute to and from work was the reason I moved from CO. An average of 500-650 miles a week driving for 4 1/2 years got old.

Now I just need to find a job here. At some point I may find an old Honda/Yamaha motorcycle to cut up and have fun with.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
sanjuro said:
I hate the bus. Every bike rider should. The trains are nice though.
do explain more about hating bus/bike riders. here in seattle all buses, big and small alike, have 2 sportworks racks mounted on the front. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
he's too busy filling his new boat w/ tons of gas!!!! :sneaky:

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Reactor said:
..... It's real pleasent sitting next to urine soaked homeless people with bags of cans, rambling incoherently because they were let out of the state mental hospital with no support system or medicine......
Maybe you should move to a better part of town.. :D

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Toshi said:
do explain more about hating bus/bike riders. here in seattle all buses, big and small alike, have 2 sportworks racks mounted on the front. :thumb:

Same here. Why wouldn't every city have these?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
no...no

I ride my bike to work (summer job; it's a 5 min ride) and bus service isn't exactly stellar around here. In fact, it mostly stinks if you need to get anywhere. I use my car only for travel and errands (but ride my bike if I can).

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
No, no. Checked the schedules, can't get theah from heah.
When the world is a monster
Bad to swallow you whole
Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
Throw your trolls out the door

If you're needing inspiration
Philomath is where I go
Lawyer Jeff he knows the low-down
He's mighty bad to visit home

(I've been there I know the way)
Can't get there from here

When your hands are feeling empty
Stickheads jumping off the ground
Tris is sure to shirr the deers out
Brother Ray can sing my song

Hands down, Calechee bound
Land locked, kiss the ground
The dirt of seven continents going
round and round
Go on ahead Mr. Citywide
hypnotize, suit and tie
Gentlemen testify

If your world is a monster
Bad to swallow you whole
Philomath they know the low-down
Throw your trolls out the door

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:

Ever been hit by a bus? Have the exhaust fumes caress your face? And any distance I could ride on the bus, I can ride on my bike.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
no public transpo from my place to work. well, there *is* but I would have to drive to the T station, take it into Boston at Haymarket, then grab the bus back out to Woburn. This or just drive the 5 miles straight there. I was commuting most days on the bike last summer but I put the kebosh on that this year after I crashed. I have enough issues with Massholes in my truck, riding ze bike is just asking for trouble.
Yes, I do complain aboot the gas prices, not because I drive a Jeep (preemptive STFU), but because prices have risen over a dollar per gallon in 18 months.
This is going to be harsh if and when we eventually buy a house thats more than 5 miles from work...more likely 30 miles one way
god i hate this state

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
sanjuro said:
Ever been hit by a bus? Have the exhaust fumes caress your face? And any distance I could ride on the bus, I can ride on my bike.
seattle train really isn't necessary imo since the bus service is decent to good (if not late at night). seattle also has these things called "bike paths" so that us riders aren't on the road with buses and semis. finally, i have taken the bus several times this summer -- admittedly only since selling my car -- from my place in north seattle to kent:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1959+pacific+st,+seattle+to+26715+Military+Road+South,+Kent,+WA&spn=.308903,.450096&hl=en

that's 23 miles, and not something i want to be doing at 10 pm with a trumpet case on my back. thus enter the bus system.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
seattle train really isn't necessary imo since the bus service is decent to good (if not late at night). seattle also has these things called "bike paths" so that us riders aren't on the road with buses and semis. finally, i have taken the bus several times this summer -- admittedly only since selling my car -- from my place in north seattle to kent:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1959+pacific+st,+seattle+to+26715+Military+Road+South,+Kent,+WA&spn=.308903,.450096&hl=en

that's 23 miles, and not something i want to be doing at 10 pm with a trumpet case on my back. thus enter the bus system.
Well, there is the BART system here and Cal train (and the Metro which I have not taken)

The bus is only to get downtown, hence the biking and avoiding getting hit by a bus.