Quantcast

Gate Practice/Training for Hobby Race

lukedogg

Chimp
Nov 24, 2005
One of the main reasons BMXers have the advantage in a Dual race is experience in the gate/start.

If there is enough interest, I would be glad to bring my manual gate to Country Park on Saturday (12ish to 3ish), give some pointers, thus helping my dogs get an edge and represent at the race.

I don't want to charge money for this mini clinic, but in return, I ask that everyone who is interested in taking part, please spend an hour digging or some sort of overall maintanence to our fine facility. Please bring some sort of tool to accomplish this as I have only a few shovels.

PM me or call 336.339.0952 if you are interested.

Disclaimers:

I won't be responsible for any injuries or damage to your bike.

Length of gate is 6' from the upright portion of the gate to the back. On my cruiser, there's about 18" or so left so I'm sure any bike can be accomodated.

This is my personal property so I'll be really pissed if anyone abuses it.

This is in no way sanctioned by the Country Park or any other City/County organization.

Just because you practice on a BMX style gate, no one in the MTB world will judge you and accuse you of going the way of studded belts, eyeshadow and girl pants.

Spandex is optional.

I am a smartass. :banana:

Thanks,

Luke Sanford

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
which gate is being used for the race?
why not practice on it?
you should practice gates not because bmxers do
but because all dual and mountain crossers do!

lukedogg

Chimp
Nov 24, 2005
which gate is being used for the race?
why not practice on it?
you should practice gates not because bmxers do
but because all dual and mountain crossers do!
I guess I can count you out. From my memory, the gate was built into the ground with a manual drop. Also, it's deep in the cut in Winston, Country Park is in Greensboro. On top of that, the guys I ride with have never taken a gate. Sure, they can drive out there to practice on the gate with other guys who have never taken a gate. Or they could spend a few hours with me, who has a much better gate than someone who has never taken a gate before. Also, it would be cool to have people work on the jumps. Look, I'm volunteering my time to do this and I'm not even racing the Hobby Park race. For whatever reason one should practice a gate, I've got one to practice on and I'm willing to lug that b***h out there to let people practice on it. Make sense to you, Metal Dude?

Mikedsx

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NC
He's not from here so, prob. doesn't know the distance from CP to Hobby. Luke just to help you out, we drop the gate random. So don't get 'em used to a set call.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
It actually would make sense to use your gate
for the race if the other one is suspect?
If that is all possible? Just a thought!
my point was that, I will be there to practice what
gate that will be raced-don't want to practice on
something different. Then race another.
I can appreciate your effort and hope we can
use your gate! Just a joke on the reasons to practice
but people always say bmxers have that advantage
when both race using starting gates.

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
Luke, I work till 5 if you'll still be out there by chance. You are talking about work at CP right? But I would definently be interested in some coaching. From what I hear you're supposed to be awsome out of the gate.

lukedogg

Chimp
Nov 24, 2005
He's not from here so, prob. doesn't know the distance from CP to Hobby. Luke just to help you out, we drop the gate random. So don't get 'em used to a set call.
Even if you guys were equipped with a non-random system, MTB is getting away from from it because it gives BMXers an unfair atvantage. he he :biggrin: .

At any rate, it's a manual (stumpy) gate with no electronics whatsoever. Just concentration on form, balance, and explosiveness.

Josh, I thought we we're drinking tonite. Me and Bob picked up the slack :happydance: .

Lukedogg

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Any BMX or Dual race can be won right out of the gate. I've done a few slalom races and did well, even though I can't jump for $hit, because I could gate start. If you've never done a gate, any practice on one will help. If this dude is willing to lend the use of his, take him up on it. Believe me it's worth it. I'm a large mammal on a 46 pound DH bike and could pull lighter faster riders out of the gate.