Quantcast

Gather around kiddos, its story time with GFF (alaska edition)

gonefirefightin

free wieners
well the trip went off with a great couple of weeks....ended a little bizarre but I will get to that later.

to say it was remote is an understatement.

from anchorage it was a 2 hour commercial flight to bethel, bethel has no roads in or out, the only way in is by plane or week long barge.

everything comes in on barge and fuel is about 10 bucks a gallon, booze is 7 times that (if you can find it)

the first thing you notice was the skeeters, I have fought fires all over alaska but have never seen them this bad, you had to clean the killer every 12 hours

we got to the lodge and started the weigh ins and getting the planes loaded

we loaded the float planes and geared up for the hour+ flight to boundary lake

boundary lake is basically the highest lake that the planes can land on. from this point it was the unload spot.

took a hour or so to build the rafts, drop them down to the river and gear up

top half of the float was alot of Dolly varden greyling and two foot rainbows. once we got to some good pools there was a handfull of bright silvers

mostly the weather was pretty good but we got snow one morning and a few thunderstorms that sneak in quick

ran into a few bears but they are very quiet and sneaky, these are the normal size prints you see when wandering into the bush to drop a deuce

bug tents were a must for a camp kitchen

we ran short on booze and tobacco so we had a air drop

at the bottom of the trip we were slamming the silvers and kings

everyday was 50-70 fish days, I broke 3 poles during the trip. all were broken on fish retrievals

once at the pick up point we packed up the gear and had a 1.5 hour boat ride back to the lodge

the whole spew of locations are here. every check in was a overnight camp site, some were multiple nights

once I left alaska I had a one day and 8 hours of driving to get to red bluff for the opening day of dove season. I got to the ranch and had an hour of sleep before the sunrise hunt. had a couple birds in the bag and then did a face dive on my shotgun. woke up 30 min later in the ER.

apparently I had bleeding internally for the last week or so (started in alaska)and simply dropped. took on 3 IV's and a couple units of blood. spent 5 hours in the ER getting the oil change and was able to hit the evening hunt and kill my limit for the next couple days

taking it easy for a week or so before I head to yellowstone to move bison on horseback and do some more hunting/fishing. good thing I didnt crump in alaska, otherwise I probably would have died. good trip though

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I knew it!! There's no WAY he could defeat zombies. Zombies have no mercy for IV bags.

Back to the poll!
I would like to see how you fair after a 5 day period

dude...lucky on dropping in the lower 48. what caused the bleed?
they said ulcer/GI bleed, had no clue it was going on. just thought I was coming down with a cold or something, had a hemoglobin level of 6.2 in the ER

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I was skimming the text looking at the photos, and I assumed you had shot yourself and ended up back hunting the next day.

Anyone else I would have wondered about that and read a little more closely...

Beautiful fish, by the way.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
man that salmon is making me hungry.
looks like a fun trip besides getting tanked up with someone elses blood!

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
So are you going to be on the Discovery Channel's "Flying Wild Alaska" or what? Looks like a great time regardless of the little hiccup with your leaking blood system.

BTW I'm heading to Infineon Raceway to donate some blood and get a hot lap around the track this Fri. They gotta restock the the blood bank for your silly expeditions.

http://www.infineonraceway.com/schedule/complete_schedule/high_speed_blood_drive/

gonefirefightin

free wieners
So are you going to be on the Discovery Channel's "Flying Wild Alaska" or what? Looks like a great time regardless of the little hiccup with your leaking blood system.

BTW I'm heading to Infineon Raceway to donate some blood and get a hot lap around the track this Fri. They gotta restock the the blood bank for your silly expeditions.

http://www.infineonraceway.com/schedule/complete_schedule/high_speed_blood_drive/
sounds like a blast, I would def come down and pitch in but I can no longer give blood due to my military history.

I always encourage O positive types to donate.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
On another note.... How the hell did you break so many fishing poles??? Are you abusing them or just using cheap rods???
2 lamiglass and one g loomis,

they were a little light but still within reason for the fish. it was just a combo of the heavy/fast water and big fish over time cracked em.

so apparently if you have alot of poles that have never broken your not catching enough.

(you walked into that one)

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Serious question to prove my ignorance... what is the pistol grip pump action shotty for?

What the hell do you hunt up there?

edit - glad you keeled over close to help. Sound's like you had a bit of luck there!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Serious question to prove my ignorance... what is the pistol grip pump action shotty for?

edit - glad you keeled over close to help. Sound's like you had a bit of luck there!
DN moved to Alaska. Hey you never know.....

gonefirefightin

free wieners

12ga. is bear medicine, cheap, easy effective.

In all my photos you can see I was packing my 44mag in a shoulder rig. I prefer the pistol since it is more accurate and more feasible to carry/fish with. 12ga is the tent/kitchen weapon for in camp

all the animals I have killed in alaska have been caribou, moose, beaver and bear and done them all with a pistol. (44mag or better)

the 12 gauge with slugs is a very effective round for anything, but definitely a close quarter weapon since the accuracy isnt the best with a pistol grip.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
12ga. is bear medicine, cheap, easy effective.

In all my photos you can see I was packing my 44mag in a shoulder rig. I prefer the pistol since it is more accurate and more feasible to carry/fish with. 12ga is the tent/kitchen weapon for in camp

all the animals I have killed in alaska have been caribou, moose, beaver and bear and done them all with a pistol. (44mag or better)

the 12 gauge with slugs is a very effective round for anything, but definitely a close quarter weapon since the accuracy isnt the best with a pistol grip.
When DN is all coked up you're going to have to do better then that. Nothing short of a Lawn Dart is going to stop him.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
2 lamiglass and one g loomis,

they were a little light but still within reason for the fish. it was just a combo of the heavy/fast water and big fish over time cracked em.

so apparently if you have alot of poles that have never broken your not catching enough.

(you walked into that one)
Ah Under fishing it a bit then. Makes sense..... My trout stuff never gets over worked... Bass on the other hand.... I am starting to get worried about a couple of them.......

For salmon I am normally rocking the eight weight flyrod so normally no issues there either... Only rods I have actually broken while fishing are my ultralights fishing for panfish to have a catfish or Bass hit the crickets....

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
what kind of trip would make a great story without one of 3 items, booze, near death, or epic female encounters.

I usually tend to have at least two per trip it seems, I dont plan it that way either
I know why there were no pics of pretty girlies in your latest adventure-I have been to Bethel and they don't exist. I live in Nome and it is is purely booze and near death experiences. :thumb: