Quantcast

Gavazzi times it just right in China

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized rider Francesco Gavazzi (Astana) timed it just right in Thursday's thrilling third stage to win by a whisker at the Tour of Beijing.</p><p>
</p><p>
The Italian dashed to the line to catch the attacking Edvald Boasson Hagen by inches to win for the first time this season.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was so close in the end. When Edvald attacked, went so strong that I thought it was over. Tony Martin and then Dan Martin really went hard and I stayed on their wheels," a happy Gavazzi said. "I switched down a gear and had a little extra speed. I gave everything and just</p><p>
managed to win."</p><p>
</p><p>
With the victory, he climbed into second place at 40 seconds behind Martin (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) and earned the points jersey as well.</p><p>
</p><p>
The victory is an ideal way to go out on a high note for the Italian punchier.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The stage was perfect for me in the end. I cannot attack from too far away because I cannot recover fast enough. I have to wait, wait, wait ... and it was great to win," he said. "This was my first win after being second four times this season. I was just missing something and now it came together. A nice way to end the season."</p><p>
</p><p>
Specialized's Tony Martin, meanwhile, safely defended his red leader's jersey in the four-climb stage that ended along the spectacular ramparts of the Great Wall of China at Badaling.</p><p>
</p><p>
Gavazzi climbed into second at 40 seconds back while Daniel Martin slotted into third at 50 seconds adrift.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I feel a lot more secure in the jersey after getting through today," Martin said. "Today was the hardest stage, but my team did a great job protecting me and controlling the breakaway. I can manage it OK and now we are closer to victory."</p><p>
</p><p>
Martin safely negotiated Friday's transition stage that ended in a mass sprint with Marco Haller taking the win.</p><p>
</p><p>
Saturday's finale will be the final hurdle, with a challenging first-category and second-category climb looming in the final hour of racing.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Saturday will also be difficult, but I am feeling strong," Martin said. "I came here motivated to win this race for the second time. Things are going well so far."</p><p>
</p><p>
Specialized's Rafal Majka (Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank) finished with the Martin group and slotted into eighth overall at 56 seconds adrift to retain the best young rider's jersey.</p>

More...