Quantcast

Gear Improvements the Industry Should Make

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Even better if everyone used GG's system but also added angle adjusting cups for it instead of just reach.

Also everyone should include adjustable chainstays.
Yeah, the rectangular shaped cups would make it a no brainer without any alignment issues.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
A dropper that actually drops without having to squat down to make it drop.

I thought this was the reason for the wireless dropper, but they don't seem to do anything besides eliminate the $1.50 cable and a couple of bucks worth of housing. Yet they cost twice as much as the most expensive cable actuated ones.

B) I'm surprised that no one has made a dropper lever that matches up with a Shimano or Sram shifter so the lever is the same length/angle as the shifter. I saw a Wolf tooth that my buddy has and thought it was installed wrong. The thing was so far away from the bar that it didn't seem correct.
Shimano makes a dropper lever that matches up with their shifters really nicely. I personally don't care that much but it's there if you want it. And Sram wireless everything also gets you there if you're really committed.

A dropper that you don't have to sit on to lower would be sweet. All the ways that I can think of to make it work are some combination of heavy, expensive, bulky, and/or require a lot of power though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Handlebars that either publish setback or reach values for different sweeps. I either shouldn't have to change my stem length when changing a bar or at least know what I am getting.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Universal adoption of bearing shields (like Santa Cruz uses). I've basically stopped using soap anywhere near my bike to reduce the need to replace washed out bearings. My last 2 bikes (Transition and GG) get like 1/4 the bearing life my previous Santa Cruz got.
Interesting. I've got well over 2,000 miles on the original set of bearings on my 2019 GG, and have only had to replace the driveside chain stay bearing near the derailleur. I had a SC Blur LT that ate the fuck out bearings, which to be fair was a long time ago, so I'm glad to hear they got that sorted out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My want is rear shocks that are rebuildable/serviceable at home. Without stupid tools and thousands of dollars vacuum machines and fittings that you can't get anywhere else. RS Super Deluxe is a good example of doing it right, making it easy. It doesn't take much IMO. But wacky shit like Fox caping the charging valves and using the ridiculous needles just has no good reason, except to keep people out of them, but lets face it, most of these people don't send the shocks in every few months either and most bike shops avoid this stuff like the plague. If you can find one that will actually service it and has the equipment, the % that will do it right is even smaller and all of a sudden we are looking at a fraction of the shops out there and most people do not have access to them.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This may already be something that's in the works, but I will steal @SuboptimusPrime 's idea and say tires with foam inserts already adhered to the inside of the tire. I'd like to think this would make mounting the tire and getting a solid bead lock a little easier. That said, you couldn't reuse your magic foam hoop, but I'd be OK with that if in fact it was easier to mount, plus foam some inserts can get chunked up pretty bad over time anyway.
Haha, they are so easy to install. What are you guys doing? Huck Norris?!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Sorry was trying to organise my list by priority.

I actually reckon bikes are pretty well sorted, despite a few outliers. OEM brake spec probably my biggest peeve. Shimano and SRAM completely own the market and neither are going to improve anything while they're so safe as OEM providers.

Also Resin Only rotors shouldn't have been invented. And god knows why anyone would save the $1.50 and run a galvanised cable instead of a stainless one. Some stuff just shouldn't exist as an option.
Everything this gentleman said.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
This thread is less about what's right/wrong, but rather gear improvements you'd like to see

Lockout remotes - while I'd prefer bikes have suspension designs that don't need lockouts, my current rig is significantly easier to climb with it on. However, I typically don't use it because I often forget to unlock it before I start my descent, and I usually don't want to stop mid-descent to change it. A handlebar mounted lockout lever would go a long way towards helping here (even better with a simple red/green visual indicator), but generally they're not available for most shocks.
Sounds like you are ready for a Scott!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
On your 3000' fireroad climb, yay, you saved 30 seconds. I mean, I get why they put the climb-it switches on coils and enduro stuff, but in practice I just don't find it that useful and don't use it, even when it's there. If you are climbing those super smooth fireroads for thousands of feet, it just doesn't add up to anything significant and if you are climbing rougher stuff, it's nice to have the suspension working anyway. I think that video they did a while back on the difference lockout on/off was a bit misleading, but the point about the time to climb should be a big one. It's not a big difference IME.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On your 3000' fireroad climb, yay, you saved 30 seconds. I mean, I get why they put the climb-it switches on coils and enduro stuff, but in practice I just don't find it that useful and don't use it, even when it's there. If you are climbing those super smooth fireroads for thousands of feet, it just doesn't add up to anything significant and if you are climbing rougher stuff, it's nice to have the suspension working anyway. I think that video they did a while back on the difference lockout on/off was a bit misleading, but the point about the time to climb should be a big one. It's not a big difference IME.
It has been a long time since I have been on a bike that pedals like shit. However I have seen people who pedal like they are having a seizure so a climb/lockout mode may work well for them.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
How bout this - having the climb switch activated on this bike makes me dislike climbing it less, that's all that really matters to me, you do you.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I wish there would be an invention that could do my jobb while I am on the bike. I am ready to offer some pedalling efficiency to power that invention.

Also better helmets that reduce the risk of concussion.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I wish there would be an invention that could do my job while I am on the bike. I am ready to offer some pedalling efficiency to power that invention.
I'm in on that one.

Also better helmets that reduce the risk of concussion.
I had two helmet damaging crashes in the last 22 years. The first one with my Spesh Ambush mk. 1 without magic MIPS on my home trails was an otb with a hit direct to the forehead. Went straight into the hospital to have my commandbox checked. No signs of concussion, just a sore neck and a little wound on my nose from the glasses. The second one was a massive off on the Schladming DH track wearing a proper DH fullface way overshooting the under the gondola step up and landing directly on the top and rear of my head, shattering the carbon shell - 10 min black out and all... heavy concussion. I can't think of any technology but a massive airbag that would have spared me the severe concussion I suffered in that event.

All the other thousand crashes I had never lead to any head injuries and I don't know if the rotary acceleration incidents to the brain are that much of an issue like the inventors of MIPS etc. want us to believe, meaning that I hardly never see crashes where this is the cause for a concussion. And in direct hit cases it doesn't protect you at all I think. But maybe I'm wrong and somebody has different experiences and data about it.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It has been a long time since I have been on a bike that pedals like shit. However I have seen people who pedal like they are having a seizure
Yeah, I don't know what causes people to pedal at 120rpm and somehow bob a rigid bike.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Flo33 Helmet certification has originally been designed/developed long ago to make sure that you don't scratch or break your skull during a crash. The reducing of rotary acceleration is much more recent. While limiting the scratching or breaking is somewhat of a simple mechanical problem, reducing rotary acceleration is way less understood. I am with you that the solutions and ways to validate these solutions provided by the MIPS are somewhat questionable...
Not all crashes on the head will cause a concussion, very very little of them do as you experienced yourself. Then only a few of these concussions will lead to long term issues, but the consequences are huge! Check Lorraine Truong for example: Lorraine Truong | Mountain Bike Enduro and DH rider . For myself, I crashed more than 6 years ago and I still have issues with headaches and mental fatigue.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I can't think of any technology but a massive airbag that would have spared me the severe concussion I suffered in that event.
I'm sure improvements are possible, but they're gonna be incremental. There's nothing thats gonna stop you seeing tweety birds if you go from Mach Stupid to stop in 0.5 of a second.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Haha, they are so easy to install. What are you guys doing? Huck Norris?!
Original Cushcore for my down gravity bike. 24 year professional bike mechanic who promised he could do it no problem ended up using like 34 tire levers, lots of under his breath cursing and veins exploding out of his forehead. Maybe because it was a fresh DH tire on a DH rim, but no way it should be that hard. Getting a truck tire on a rim by hand would've been easier. He claimed the Tannus inserts and newer Cushcore inserts were indeed quite easy - but yeah, mine not so much. I did enjoy watching him wrestle around with it tho.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
All the ways that I can think of to make it work are some combination of heavy, expensive, bulky, and/or require a lot of power though.
Yeah, I put about 0.01% thought into how to make it. Im not an engineer. But like the guy who originally thought of a dropper, it was probably thought of as impractical. And look at how much it's revolutionized since the Hite-Rite - A coil inside a telescopic seatpost, to a hydraulic piston, to Rockshox fucking it up where you have to bleed the whole thing once it's built into your bike, to where we're putting them on road bikes. A pipe dream? Maybe. But maybe a lizzurd will see this and put their multi million dollar engineering department to work.:banana:

Hopefully...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
- Cassettes like Sram's X-Dome offerings that don't cost $400+. I know its a neat machining process, but I am hoping someday another manu will be able to duplicate the process and offer it at a (much) lower price point.
Praise be to @FSM , his noodly majesty hath answered my prayer. But of course they don't seem to make an 11 spd mtb cassette (36 tooth "gravel" cassette was the only 11 spd model I saw). :disgust:

Still, the coin I could save on that cassette versus the Sram would largely cover my (begrudging) switch to 12 spd and perhaps a few oil slick flavored malty libations.
dammit. you tell me this now, AFTER I just ordered a Garbaruk cassette?! oh well, I'll keep this in mind for future use I guess.... That said, I also ordered the derailleur cage and pulley wheels to optimize chain line on the wide-range cassette...

I wish there would be an invention that could do my jobb while I am on the bike. I am ready to offer some pedalling efficiency to power that invention.
just get a job in (very) senior management. then you get to spend your time taking calls and telling other people what to do. A buddy of mine was Chief of Staff to a minister out here for a number of years. During the Covid lock-down, he spent his days at his cottage mountain biking /fat biking/snow boarding every day. He'd cycle between two or three phones as he drained their batteries, and through a couple of pairs of wireless ear buds. He got so fit that he could carry on a conversation on the massive climbs, while I was burying myself trying to keep up. crazy.

I'm also with y'all on a tire system that grips well, but doesn't weigh a ton, and doesn't get shredded in rock gardens. I think we may be getting close with EXO+ grade casings and the newest crop of inserts, but we're not quite there. yet.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
dammit. you tell me this now, AFTER I just ordered a Garbaruk cassette?! oh well, I'll keep this in mind for future use I guess.... That said, I also ordered the derailleur cage and pulley wheels to optimize chain line on the wide-range cassette...

just get a job in (very) senior management. then you get to spend your time taking calls and telling other people what to do. A buddy of mine was Chief of Staff to a minister out here for a number of years. During the Covid lock-down, he spent his days at his cottage mountain biking /fat biking/snow boarding every day. He'd cycle between two or three phones as he drained their batteries, and through a couple of pairs of wireless ear buds. He got so fit that he could carry on a conversation on the massive climbs, while I was burying myself trying to keep up. crazy.

I'm also with y'all on a tire system that grips well, but doesn't weigh a ton, and doesn't get shredded in rock gardens. I think we may be getting close with EXO+ grade casings and the newest crop of inserts, but we're not quite there. yet.
The Garbaruk will almost certainly be a more polished product and is 60 grams lighter, so you didn't go wrong. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Original Cushcore for my down gravity bike. 24 year professional bike mechanic who promised he could do it no problem ended up using like 34 tire levers, lots of under his breath cursing and veins exploding out of his forehead. Maybe because it was a fresh DH tire on a DH rim, but no way it should be that hard. Getting a truck tire on a rim by hand would've been easier. He claimed the Tannus inserts and newer Cushcore inserts were indeed quite easy - but yeah, mine not so much. I did enjoy watching him wrestle around with it tho.
last summer i installed cushcore pro into dh wheels with michelin dh34 tires. i had to let the tires sit outside in the sun in 90 degree heat for an hour in order to get them on.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Big one for me - bring back external cable routing - at least for the rear brake. Or go the GG route with a cover.
And for the love of god, at least stop putting the cables through the headset like on some recent bikes.

Or sure do that but at least still put normal hole or guides on the frame.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
last summer i installed cushcore pro into dh wheels with michelin dh34 tires. i had to let the tires sit outside in the sun in 90 degree heat for an hour in order to get them on.
My price triples if you want it now. For DH tires I'll mount them without Cushcore over night remove and possibly warm them up.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Big one for me - bring back external cable routing - at least for the rear brake. Or go the GG route with a cover.
Yes! I don't plan on routing a rear brake cable though a mtb frame ever again. Such a PITA for no functional gain.

I don't know how good they are, but I recently bought some stick-on (or zip-tie on?) external cable guides for a future frame.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Would you use these for adjusting head angle every so often based on the terrain you are riding at the time, or just experiment at the outset and then set and forget?

Universal adoption of angled headset cups (like Specialized puts on most of their trail bikes now).

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Would you use these for adjusting head angle every so often based on the terrain you are riding at the time, or just experiment at the outset and then set and forget?
Hmm good question. Most likely set it to what I know I like for my local terrain, but it'd be nice to be able to slack it out if I traveled to somewhere really steep. Alternatively, I'd use it if I decided to change fork travel but wanted to keep head angle similar (add 10mm travel and +1.0 or +1.5 degree angle cup).

I've played around with head angles everywhere from 65 to 62.8 degrees, and find I like it to be around 64-64.5. I feel like the swap-able angle cups (and adjustable CS lengths) lets manufacturers ship one frame that will suit a wider variety of rider preferences.