Quantcast

Gear Improvements the Industry Should Make

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yes! I don't plan on routing a rear brake cable though a mtb frame ever again. Such a PITA for no functional gain.

I don't know how good they are, but I recently bought some stick-on (or zip-tie on?) external cable guides for a future frame.
I've been using those since internal routing became a thing. They work great and tend to last about a season. I keep a couple of extras in my tool wrap just in case. I've gone internal on my last two trail bikes because I've gotten used to strapping bags onto the frame now and I hate it. I like being able to pull off a brake to gravity bleed it or swap them between bikes if one goes down.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
would love a dropper that dropped instead of rose on a spring. Not sure how to make that work- maybe elon can give us something after he buys facebook. Maybe a small external canister to compress, and a light spring to go back up? Maybe some electrically shortening "muscle" wire? I dunno lol

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
would love a dropper that dropped instead of rose on a spring. Not sure how to make that work- maybe elon can give us something after he buys facebook. Maybe a small external canister to compress, and a light spring to go back up? Maybe some electrically shortening "muscle" wire? I dunno lol
Automatically retracts, then you have to butt clench and pull to extend.

A fully powered system is possible but like HAB said would be complex and would require a power source. A small linear actuator could work but it would be slow. Pneumatic system would be the simplest with say a water bottle sized compressed air source that you could top off with a pump.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

A fully powered system is possible but like HAB said would be complex and would require a power source. A small linear actuator could work but it would be slow. Pneumatic system would be the simplest with say a water bottle sized compressed air source that you could top off with a pump.
:nope:

can you drive a pump off the rear wheel? Maybe you could flip a lever that used rotation to fill the bottle then could be turned off on the uphill sections.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

SHIMANO AIRLINES RIDES AGAIN

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sounds like we need an electromagnetic rail gun post for you guys.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
  • More development on faster-rolling rear tires that still have DH-worthy side knobs.
I'd also like to see some fast rolling tyres come in proper sidewalls. I chucked an Ikon/Rekon combo on my Smuggler trail bike for a 100km event last year and then left them on for awhile cos lazy. Really good fun trying to ride the usual stuff with them, had an absolute giggle but geez they're not real durable. Unfortunately the fast rolling stuff tends to top out at EXO which is basically the bare minimum for a MTB trail imo.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'd also like to see some fast rolling tyres come in proper sidewalls. I chucked an Ikon/Rekon combo on my Smuggler trail bike for a 100km event last year and then left them on for awhile cos lazy. Really good fun trying to ride the usual stuff with them, had an absolute giggle but geez they're not real durable. Unfortunately the fast rolling stuff tends to top out at EXO which is basically the bare minimum for a MTB trail imo.
Dissector?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I should really take it apart and see if I can add some sort of preload spacer to see if that helps.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nalgene makes a MTB water bottle with a dirt/cow-shit cover that uses a normal shape -

I have Nalgene bottles for work because they were the only ones I could find that weren't Chinese made.
I'll have to find one of these, looks like it should work well on a hardtail(without the insertion bit on top).

I'd like to be a bottle cage tester, finding a decent cage is probably the most difficult thing about building up a decent hardtail.
Worst one I have had was a carbon Tune cage, just after that was a Topeak Ninja, neither could handle basic single trail.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I thought someone else would remember this BMC gimmick, but since nobody did, I'll throw it here:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The 2.4 Rekon EXO+ is a solid option. Front and rear or a Dissector up front for a little more grip.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
- brake pads that don't go to fuck with 0.000000000000000000000001 pico liters of, well anything other than water get on them. It's one thing if they get soaked in fork oil, mineral oil or whatever, but its a pisser when an aerosolized molecule of chain lube wafts by them and they're useless no matter what voodoo or oven baking you try.
This. And if we can't have this, an alternative might be a quick and simple way to re-bed pads and rotors. I remember seeing a contraption during WC coverage that one of the teams had rigged for on-the-spot brake bedding. It consisted of a lever and caliper mounted to a platform with a rotor mounted to an electric drill. The drill speed simulated a wheel spinning at a rate high enough to bed new pads when the lever was pulled.

Got a little junk on your pads? No problem. Pop them out, put them into this contraption, run the drill, pull and hold the lever until the rotor almost stops. Repeat a dozen times. Pop them back into your bike.

Maybe not for every rider, but any long-term Shimano brake user would make proper use out of it. I might actually try and build this.

Found it: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/The-Wizardry-of-Canyon-Factory-Mechanic-Nigel-Reeve,2756

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This. And if we can't have this, an alternative might be a quick and simple way to re-bed pads and rotors. I remember seeing a contraption during WC coverage that one of the teams had rigged for on-the-spot brake bedding. It consisted of a lever and caliper mounted to a platform with a rotor mounted to an electric drill. The drill speed simulated a wheel spinning at a rate high enough to bed new pads when the lever was pulled.

Got a little junk on your pads? No problem. Pop them out, put them into this contraption, run the drill, pull and hold the lever until the rotor almost stops. Repeat a dozen times. Pop them back into your bike.

Maybe not for every rider, but any long-term Shimano brake user would make proper use out of it. I might actually try and build this.
I have found that just rubbing some clay based mud or even coarse automotive buffing compound on the rotors with a few quick stops does just this.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I have found that just rubbing some clay based mud or even coarse automotive buffing compound on the rotors with a few quick stops does just this.
I've done the mud thing during rides to try and silence squealing brakes. What I'm talking about though is the difference in how brakes feel after trail riding (relatively low use) versus a few laps at the local bike park (relatively high use). I wish I could take how they feel after a day at the bike park and replicate that every time I go out trail riding.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've done the mud thing during rides to try and silence squealing brakes. What I'm talking about though is the difference in how brakes feel after trail riding (relatively low use) versus a few laps at the local bike park (relatively high use). I wish I could take how they feel after a day at the bike park and replicate that every time I go out trail riding.
Become a fatty fat like me and then every trail ride is as demanding on your brakes as riding at the bike park.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I like Lezyne Flow SL for side loading and Salsa Stainless for top load.

Both will hold a full large bike bottle in rocky terrain.

I'd like to be a bottle cage tester, finding a decent cage is probably the most difficult thing about building up a decent hardtail.
Worst one I have had was a carbon Tune cage, just after that was a Topeak Ninja, neither could handle basic single trail.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I like Lezyne SL for side loading and Salsa Stainless for top load.

Both will hold a full large bike bottle in rocky terrain.
I found the Lezyne SL would drop bottles sometimes. Specialized Zee and Santa Cruz carbon are tighter fit for side loads. Wolf Tooth Morse top load cages (SS & Ti) are really snug, plus offer a lot more up/down adjustment. The nice thing about metal top load cages is you can give them a gentle bend periodically to tighten them up, but they don't always fit frames as well.

Maybe what the industry needs is a metal side load cage, for best of both worlds?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dropper posts, seat tube tolerances and basically tightening a collar around a dropper post is stupid. For so many frames you have to exceed the “max” torque to have it not slip, even with carbon paste, there’s just too much variance there and if you tighten a little too much (well in some cases enough), you’ve wrecked your dropper. There’s got to be a better way.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not necessarily gear directly, but how about making it easier to find spare parts or the part number that you need for something?

For example, I need a brake hose for a Shimano XT m8000 caliper. Perhaps I'm a blind idiot, but its hard to find out what part number I need for the replacement.

Apparently its SM-BH90-SB. Bike shop only has SM-BH90-SBM. What the heck is the difference?

m8000 is the one brake not listed on the back of it. You'd think a brake hose and banjo would be a common thing across all similar brakes, no? They look the same...

:confused:

Purchased this one anyways and will try it out, because the "correct" one can be ordered but won't arrive until September (fuck off).

Maybe this is whats wrong with the industry?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Dropper posts, seat tube tolerances and basically tightening a collar around a dropper post is stupid. For so many frames you have to exceed the “max” torque to have it not slip, even with carbon paste, there’s just too much variance there and if you tighten a little too much (well in some cases enough), you’ve wrecked your dropper. There’s got to be a better way.
There already is: https://www.vecnum.com/en/products/tooloc

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Maybe what the industry needs is a metal side load cage, for best of both worlds?
I think King Cage has metal side load.

I'm a fan of their stainless and Ti for top load. Side load Zefal on my GG isn't great as they have to hang upside down and it rattles. Specialized Zee side load cages I just got on another bike seem like a really tight fit so might need to try one of them on the GG.