Quantcast

Gear Question

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I took a spill this weekend and noticed that where I change my gears on the left side (the three big gears) had poped out a little. Not only did it pop out but my gears are all screwy. They are not changing properly and if I switch into 2 or 3 it won't stay int. the only gear I can ride in is 1. Help!! Is it shop time or can I fix this myself easily? The 7 gears on the right seem fine.

Pale

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
New Mexico
Are you talking about the shifters? Not sure what you mean when you say it popped out. What popped out? The cable, the housing, etc.

It's probably something you can fix, but if you don't have tools, or feel uncomfortable working on your bike take it to a bike shop.

Worst case, you might have to buy another shifter.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
Sorry about the lingo. I'm not sure what half the stuf on my bike is called. The actual left handle or shifter is popped outward, you can actualy see the cable inside the handle. I think I'm gonna take it to the shop, it most likely will need to be replaced.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
They're not that bad....all depends on what kind you're gettin'.
SRAM? Avid? XT or XTR? Shifter and brake lever or just shifter? (etc. etc. etc...)

Can be anywhere from $25 to $100. Average probably right around $45. Look on ebay, can find lots of deals there.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Shop time my freind. At least to identify what you have. 7 sp, 8 sp, etc. Also, if you're unfamiliar with bike nomenclature you probably have little to no exp. in fixing bikes. Take it to your bike shop this time and ask the tech to tell you what he's doing, better yet, if he'll let you watch. Then you know. Bike shops, the good ones that is, will be open about what they're doing and they want educated consumers. (It makes our jobs easier because we understand what the customer is trying to tell us.) Also, invest in a basic bike repair book. (Nothing expensive, something that covers just the basics; brake adjustment, cable adjustment, brake pad adjustment, tube changes, etc.) The more you become familiar and comfortable with your bike the less you'll hjave to rely on your bike shop. Then the question of if you need a bike shop or not will be easy for you to answer.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
The guys at my bike shop are cool. I had to order a new shifter which was only $20. He showed me what was wrong and told me to stop wrecking my bike. The part will be in soon and I should have my bike back by Friday.