Quantcast

Gear Ratio

Tinashi

Chimp
Jan 12, 2005
Hi all
Im about to convert my zaskar race to ss ,Ive read a fair bit and just wanted some advice on the ratio.
Using ssconvert and fix me up they say with a 16.54/420mm chainstay length
to get a 36x15 and i shouldnt need a tensioner, but if i have to use one any recommendations?

Thnx
Tin

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I'd say use a tensioner. 36x15 is going to be a tough gear to push if you are mountain biking. Rule of thumb is to try 2:1 ratio and then go up and down from there.

The Ito

Tinashi

Chimp
Jan 12, 2005
Hi ito
What do u think of the rennen rollenger and the similair dmr simple tension seeker ,if i change ratios i gotta use the tensioner but not a spring one as i dont think the tension is high enough.
This conversion is to try out ss if i like it i will orer a rock lobster frame from them.

What gearing would u recommend i got good legs and weigh about 17 stone.
Thnx

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Rennens are your friend.

2:1 is good starting point.32:16, 36:18, etc. if you're a monster, you can drop down to a smaller cog in the back and try that out.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Tinashi said:
Hi all
Im about to convert my zaskar race to ss ,Ive read a fair bit and just wanted some advice on the ratio.
Using ssconvert and fix me up they say with a 16.54/420mm chainstay length
to get a 36x15 and i shouldnt need a tensioner, but if i have to use one any recommendations?

Thnx
Tin
If you keep the total number of teeth the same, you should be able to use another gear combo. For instance, 36+15 = 51 and 34+17=51 -- Bingo, you've got your 2:1

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Tinashi said:
Any advice on those tensioners :)
Avoid them if you can. Try a half-link first, it's cheaper and more streamlined. Or pony up for a White Industries ENO eccentric hub, sweet solution.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
riderx,

What company(ies) are producing half links? The only thing I can find is a bmx half link that comes with a cotter pin.

Tinashi

Chimp
Jan 12, 2005
Eno is out as i run discs, i will look for half links.

Gonna use middleburn rs-7 cranks but a lot of isis bb dont seem to get good reviews.
My xt cranks have the main ring pressed on so they r poo.

Any good isis bb out there?.

Ta

Tinashi

Chimp
Jan 12, 2005
Will the use of this type of chain "Shadow Conspiracy Interlock Chain " take away the need for a tensioner?.

Ta
Tin

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
that chain is made up with all half links we have one here I have not used one yet but in theory it should work great as it is all half links.....
I just use a half link with a bmx chain.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Tinashi said:
Eno is out as i run discs, i will look for half links.

Gonna use middleburn rs-7 cranks but a lot of isis bb dont seem to get good reviews.
My xt cranks have the main ring pressed on so they r poo.

Any good isis bb out there?.

Ta
not true on the eno! there is a disc one coming soon.

FSA platinum pro's seem pretty bomb proof- running them on two SS's and one geared bike with zero complaints.

oh, as for gearing, it really depends on where you ride. here in socal, people seem to be running a little less than 2:1, such as 34:20 or so (roughly 1.8:1)