Quantcast

gear ratios

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well i just got my new hartail frame(kona cowen 05). i am going to be geting a crank in a little while, and rims. i was wondering what some good gear ratios would be. i am going to be riding skatebarn and softies for the most part. i like my gearing in about the middle not to low not to high. any buddy have any suggetions on some good setups? thanks.

RYAN(one footer)

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
2:1 ratio you could run a 32 tooth w/ a 16 rear cog or what ever you want so if you wana run a 36 tooth front you divide 36 by 2 and theres your rear cog size thats what im running a 32 16

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
are you pedaling down hill or you must be lance armstrong. way to big for park and trails. you need like a 30/17 30/18 depends on how hard you pedal and how smooth you ride. remember one tooth in the back is two in the front. ryan you now where to get your info.

cheers

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
BIGHIT756 said:
are you pedaling down hill or you must be lance armstrong. way to big for park and trails. you need like a 30/17 30/18 depends on how hard you pedal and how smooth you ride. remember one tooth in the back is two in the front. ryan you now where to get your info.

cheers
dude is this shane or jesse? if it is shane on jesse's name you need to say SHANE or just sine on your own name.:) you are confusing my mind(not hard to do):drool: :drool:

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
bighit- what you said is a 2:1 ratio you know how with a smaller ratio it works easier example the foes 2:1 ratio bikes its engineering

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i run a 34/16 and it gets me up most all paved hills with some work. i dj on it and mostly street ride. i used to run 32/18 but i would pedal air quick when trying to get between spots. i like my 34/16 alot

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
BIGHIT756 said:
ya, this is jesse, and i didnt say anything about this. my friend said that stuff. all i know is that i have a 40/16 and i love it.
dude your bike feals like starting out in 4th gear out of six(in my case:p ) in a car. your bike is geared way to high for me, it would probebly be good for sst though.

oh ya check your pms!(jesse)

Jun 18, 2004
I run 36 in the front and a 18 and 16 in the back... 18 for urban 16 for Djing.... but you know what would be sick?... the new ethirteen 26 tooth set up w/a 12 or a 14 in the back... mainly good for skateparks...

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
Str8OutaBallard said:
I run 36 in the front and a 18 and 16 in the back... 18 for urban 16 for Djing.... but you know what would be sick?... the new ethirteen 26 tooth set up w/a 12 or a 14 in the back... mainly good for skateparks...
well i just bout a 28t the other day! what should i run in the rear for dj and park? remember i like mid range gearing. thanks... oh and i have 26'' rims to!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
you must be lance armstrong
as a matter of fact, I am! I was actually running a 32-12 this afternoon at the bmx track and i found myself spinning out(both up and downhill). but on my fixie I'm running a 42-15 ratio which is awesome around town. I wish sometimes I could get a little more high end speed, but it's a good range because I can make it up all but the steepest hills here in seattle. Oh the joys of being 7 time tour de france winner... haha! But honestly a 2-1 ratio works out awesome. I'd look at getting a 14 tooth surly cog for your setup with the 28 tooth chainring. it'll work out really well for you. Most people who run single speed weather it's for hucking, or for cross country riding will run a 2-1. sometimes higher though. it all depends on the rider. i've ran single speed for years with a 32-16 setup, it works out well. I had a 32-18 setup when I was doing slower techy stuff, but I found the 16 worked out better all around.

good luck, let me know how the e-13 thing works out

Jun 18, 2004
ryan/kona29 said:
well i just bout a 28t the other day! what should i run in the rear for dj and park? remember i like mid range gearing. thanks... oh and i have 26'' rims to!
get a spacer kit and run a 12 and a 14... you might be able to take apart an old shimano 8 spd rear cog if you cant find 12 and 14t SS Mtb cog's...

Call up Ben at Unreal cycles he should have the newest bunch of e13 stuff or be able to order it pronto... unrealcycles.com ... Ben is the guru of hardtales...

the only thing to remember with a compact set up is chain alignment is critical... with the torque of a 175 crank you can break chains or possibly chip teeth... and that can lead to going over the handlebars and chipping your own teeth!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
will the gearing be much different on 26 inch rims with the same gear ratios?
It will be completly different. If you want a similar ratio you'll want to run a 16 tooth cog in the back. It would be the same as running a 32-18, which now that I think about it isn't all that bad. It's hard to reach those higher end speeds when doing stair gaps, but it's doable. but mountain bikes are supposed to go faster, I would suggest trying a few different options out. i personally think you'd be happy with a 14 tooth, but then again, you might love running a 16. But like I said, try out a few options. Like mike suggested, get an old cassette that's not worn out and steal some cogs out of it and try some different options. I know what I would like, but it's your bike and your setup. I would suggest figuring out what works best for you. It's cool to get input from other people, but your bike should be the correct setup for you, not just some guy who gives advice over the internet. Try some stuff out, get your bike dialed the way YOU want it, not the way someone else wants it. Every rider has a different style, and every bike should be set up to fit their own riding style. I personally love 16" chainstays, super low bars, and a sub 3" for on my dirt jump/street/bmx track bike. which is completly different from the cowan. So try some stuff out when you get your cranks and everything built up, and figure out what works out best for you.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
it's up to you man, it seems like that would work out pretty well though. But I'd say try out a 15, and a 14. You might like one over the other, but I personally would say the 14 would be your best choice. You'll be able to go a little faster a little easier. You might also try a 13. That's getting pretty small, but you might like it. You never know. Try them out and then figure out what you want to run. But like Mike was saying, you might like having 2 cogs setup on your freehub body. It seems pretty easy to be able to switch between the to with having the adjustable dropouts. Because that way you could have your higher gear for going faster like at a bmx track or riding some longer distances, but you can also switch it when you're riding park, or want to be able to get up to speed a little faster. It would be a pretty sick setup.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
ya i will defenetly consider runing a couple of ratios! i will probebly get 12,13,14,15,16 and carry them with me in my parts bag when i go riding! thanks man! i will post back when i get my wheels and crank. i should have them by friday,crank friday and wheels today!