Quantcast

GEAR REVIEW: Shimano XT M785 Trail Pedals (a.k.a. Thanks Serial Midget!)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Anyone who's met me knows I have had this obsession with the Shimano M636 pedal for a long time. You know the ones, right? Red outer cage, DX, made for BMX and downhill, all metal, heavy as lead? Yeah, those. I haven't owned a trail bike in well over... well... ever, that didn't have a pair of M636s gracing the end of the cranks. All that changed yesterday, thanks to @Serial Midget who sent me a "gently used" pair of newer Shimano XT Trail pedals.

After one ride I offer the following assessment for those thinking about acquiring a pair:

I found them to be vertically stable, yet torsionally compliant. The float mechanics were far superior to the M636, yet retention remained top-notch. Installation was easy, and the bearing action appears to be smooth as bacon-greased butter. It'll take some time to really dial in the release tension, my hope is that I'll be able to accomplish this without the addition of tokens, spacers, and/or moar shimz. My only criticism of these pedals so far is they install/uninstall with an 8mm allen key only, there is no option to utilize a proper pedal wrench. Further, I do not believe them to be available in root beer. They are not flexy.

8.5/10 would bang again, probably go 9+ once tension is properly adjusticated.

Seriously, huge thanks to @Serial Midget for just up and sending these to me after a random conversation in NoDak about my affinity for platform-style SPDs — my stash of old's cool pedals was getting pretty haggard and these are great. A round of scotch on me next time I see you. Stoked.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have the XTR version and it was such an improvement over my old pedals. I have had to fiddle a little with tension.

I like the allan key over the pedal wrench plus I never tighten the pedals very much. Never had a pedal come loose.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Nice write up. I'll stick to flats. :rofl:
Well, I'm clearly behind the times pedal-wise it seems. I just now got these, over 10 years into the new century. I figure I'll switch to flats like all the cool kids in another 10-12 years or so. You know, wanna make sure they aren't a fad...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a pair of those that have started to make horrible sounds. Apparently I need to adjust some bearings (?)

To the you tubes....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, I'm clearly behind the times pedal-wise it seems. I just now got these, over 10 years into the new century. I figure I'll switch to flats like all the cool kids in another 10-12 years or so. You know, wanna make sure they aren't a fad...
I ran clipless on my roadie from '85ish and had clipless on my Proflex 855 (Ritchey Logics, I think?) but had Welgo flats on the Stinky in 2000 and have been running something similar ever since. When I got my CX, I just took the toe clips off amd use them like flats. But I have been thinking about putting a power strap or something on it for longer rides.

I just really like my Vans and Vans with an SPD cleat seems weird, :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I did the 535 to XT 785 recently...nice change. Not earth shattering, but I didn't like the additional floats with TIMEs, and much prefer the positive click and retention of SPDs. The XTs refined the experience a little and and seem to click in and release much smoother. Hopefully these will last the same 17 years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not a super-fan of them. I think for straight DHing, 545s and 657s are much superior for clipping in and having a stable platform. I find the biggest issue with the trail pedals is they are kind of sketchy to clip back into in gnarly terrain, the mechanism doesn't can't 30 degrees like those other two pedals and the cage kind of interferes with clipping in, if you happen it hit it instead of the putting it in the hoo-hah. 545s/647s are more like butter in that if you can find the damn pedal, you'll clip back in. I do have a set of the trail pedals, and I use them for DH/dh races, but for most of my riding, including lots of jumps, drops, etc., I prefer no cage for the ease of clipping back in. I think people can't resist the trail pedals though, since they are lighter than true DH pedals. It's like crack.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I had no issues with the pedals although I clipped more rocks in these than I did did with the 959s, if I turned higher gears this would not be an issue. They ended up on my no longer want list because Specialized Boomslang flats are better than crack for me... I also like my bikes to have the same pedals and flats won this round of binge buying.

I tried a lot of pedals over the years and always went back to SPDs, I couldn't hack eggbeaters or time attacks when they were popular.