Quantcast

gear set up on dj/slalom

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I'm looking to race in NCCA races this year and I'm thinking I'm going to race ds and xc. This means I have to convert my singlespeed 24" dj'er to a ds bike with 26" wheels and at least three speeds. I already have an xt derailleur, but I dont really know what else to get. I need some pretty cheap but strong wheels (not super beefy though). I'm going to run nine speed with a single up front. Is a chainguide really necessary or is there a way for me to get the derailleur set up so it keeps lots of tension. I guess really I'm just wondering what is the best set up for this kinda thing. Never done a nine speed set up so any hints/tips would be great. Thanks

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
You'll need a chainguide. I suggest either the STS (32-36) or the 32 Tooth Special, both by e.13. If you just want cheap for wheels just get some Azonic Outlaws. And you will most likely need a new Chain and a new Cassette is in your future.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Go for Rhyno Lite XL wheels on XT hubs if they'll fit your bike. Cheap, strong, light.

Get an e13 LG1 guide. Lightest on the market, and you don't need a bash for slalom anyways.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Bicyclist said:
Go for Rhyno Lite XL wheels on XT hubs if they'll fit your bike. Cheap, strong, light.

Get an e13 LG1 guide. Lightest on the market, and you don't need a bash for slalom anyways.
I wouldn't go the for the ryno lite xl's ther alright, but def not that strong at all I would just pony up a lil bit more and get a lil nicer rim

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
untitledsince89 said:
I wouldn't go the for the ryno lite xl's ther alright, but def not that strong at all I would just pony up a lil bit more and get a lil nicer rim
I'd be more worried about the XT hubs than the Rhyno Lite XL's.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
untitledsince89 said:
Tell that to Eric Carter. He runs RLXLs. They're nice, you may just not be smooth enough to use 'em.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Right now I have an xt hub on the back no complaints at all. Im not really very hard on parts at all (aka slow). I would probably just run singletracks or just find something cheap.

For a chainguide, I am running wtp royale cranks (bmx 3 piece) do I have to get a spider and run a chainring or can I just get a sproket that fits a 9sp chain? Any suggestions for a sproket all I've been able to find that are thin enough are profile and they are kinda pricey. I thought all the bmx racer types would be running the thinner chain/sprocket to save weight but there seems to be a really limited selection.

I dunno if I said before but its going on a DOC so no iscg tabs if that makes a big difference in how i run the set up.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
erastusboy said:
I dunno if I said before but its going on a DOC so no iscg tabs if that makes a big difference in how i run the set up.
Hold on, since when have the DOC's not had ISCG Tabs. I'm pretty sure they do as Dave Weagle is the inventor of ISCG05. I would check the site but i'm at work and its blocked.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Well mine sure doesnt I just checked. Maybe he figures the sovereign is the evil bike of choice for slalom and the DOC is more street oriented. Or maybe Chris Donahue just doesnt like iscg tabs for some reason.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Don't sweat the lack of tabs. You can get the generic iscg adapter plate from E13 and it works pretty well.

As far as the spider question, I'm not familiar with your crankset specifically, but they look like all the other profile knockoffs. 19mm/.75" spindle. With that in mind, you should be able to pick up a good 4/104mm spider for under $35. Then chainrings run anywhere from $15 to $40 depending on what you want and where you shop. Since E13 crownwheels or profile sprockets are relatively expensive, you'd probably be better off with a spider/ring setup because if you have to make one gear change, you'll be money ahead with that setup over the sprocket deal. You'll need to give some serious thought about how much uphill/flat pedaling you'll be doing. The size of your front sprocket will influence which guide/bashguard setup you buy.

Good luck,
Chris

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
You're probably right, but pros aren't always the best example of product durability. Eric could bust one of those rims every weekend and have a brand new wheel waiting back at the trailer or on the side of the course with a mechanic.

Not that he does, but he could go through 15 wheels per season and we would never know.

MM

Bicyclist said:
Tell that to Eric Carter. He runs RLXLs. They're nice, you may just not be smooth enough to use 'em.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Red Bull said:
Hold on, since when have the DOC's not had ISCG Tabs. I'm pretty sure they do as Dave Weagle is the inventor of ISCG05. I would check the site but i'm at work and its blocked.

No Evil frames come with ISCG, the adaptor is a more ideal way of mounting it because it removes the chance of damaging the frame if the boomerang takes a heavy impact.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Can somebody shoot me toward a website that carries the spiders/rings. Like i said before I'm having a hard time finding what I want.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Get an e13 crownwheel. It look just like a BMX ring, except it's 9-speed and you can bolt an e13 bashgaurd straight to it.

Oct 9, 2003
I use DMR sprokets, they fit normal MTB chain. Gussets Tribal series will to. But I live in Europe so I don't know if you can get it too. Anyways, I made this double bashguard thing and never dropped a chain.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Rainer Wolfcastle said:
I use DMR sprokets, they fit normal MTB chain. Gussets Tribal series will to. But I live in Europe so I don't know if you can get it too. Anyways, I made this double bashguard thing and never dropped a chain.

does that set up make all kinds of noise the in the highest and lowest gears seems like the chain would be rubbing

Oct 9, 2003
No it doesn't. No noise at all. And the chain doesn't get caught between rollers and plate like on som chainguides. I drilled the holes and cut out a 3mm alu plate with a diameter a few mm less than the bashguard. That way the bashguard takes the hits, not the thin one. You need som washers to make room for the chain and you need some crankbolts long enough to go through (or you can connect shorter ones) or you an use industrial 10mm bolts.