Quantcast

Gearheads...need help please...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
how long should a catalytic converter last? i have a 99 4 runner, the check engine light came on so i took it to the shop for a diagnostic. the code came back that the converter has failed and it only has about 73K miles on it

does this sound legit

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
A little earley but it can happen...

I dunno if the later model 4-runners have O2 sensors before and after the cat. Alot of newer cars and such have an O2 sensor on both header pipes, plus one right before and one after the cat. If either one of those is failing or bad it could give off a false reading. I'd have the O2 sensors checked before I'd replace the cat. If it smells like rotting eggs or a giant loss in power then it's probably the cat, BUT if just a SES (service engine soon) light comes on I'd check the O2 sensors.

I have over 100k on my pickup, same cat, my dad's van has over 180k miles, just had the cat replaced, and I had a camaro which it messed up after I blew the motor at 60k miles...replaced it. Cat converters don't usually die all that often, usually it's something else.

Check them O2 sensors out

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
most of the time if your catalytic converter is done you will get a rotten eggs smell when you get out of the car after driving it enought to get the exaust system hot

if your catalytic converter is toast what the diognostic equipment will show is the O2 (oxygen sensor) getting strange readings.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
buildyourown said:
Buy a "cat delete pipe".
For track use only of course....
Problem solved
Or, if you're a stinking hippie, buy a hi-flo aftermarket cat so you can sleep at night. Whatever you do, don't pay for a new Toyota cat as any OEM cat is serious money. You can probably find one at a salvage yard from a wreck for reasonable cash.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought cats were gaurunteed for life.

Regardless, whatever you do, DON'T BUY A NEW ONE. They are heinously expensive. I was just looking at a cheater cat which was like 80$. A new factory cat is probably 200. DUH. If you're real cheap, steal it out of a junkyard. That's what the smart kids do.

See if you can reset the computer. If it comes back on, you have a serious problem. My dad's light just went on in his maxima, it was just for an oil change. I don't like check engine lights, period.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Do not do away with the cat on a newer vehicle. Most late model cars & trucks use two 02 sensors, the one upstream of the cat is usually the one for engine management and the downstream sensor is for emmisions control. In other words, you can get away with a bad downstream 02 sensor but it results in a a "check engine" light. On some vehicles this will automatically cause the ECM to go into a "closed loop" mode, resulting in less than optimum performance and decreased gas mileage. So, doing away with the cat can also cause problems because the downstream 02 sensor will send an error code to the computer and could put the engine into closed loop mode.

It could be that your cat is bad at 80K and, if that is the case, I would just take the car to a reputable muffler shop and tell them you want the cat replaced with a "hi flow" converter. (Allmost all aftermarket converters are "hi-flow" these days, but it will let the tech know you don't want the OE garbage can to go back on). It should be much cheaper than the OE model and maybe give you a couple of HP to boot. Good luck.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I had my Cat break up inside within 100K miles. It collapsed and blocked a good portion of the exhaust. :rolleyes: It isn't unheard of....at least in my experience. But check the O2 sensors just incase.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Don't bother even checking the O2 sensors..just change them! For as cheap as they are, change them out, maybeit's a Northern Climate thing, but O2 Sensors seem to have a lifespan of less than 90K miles before they are toast. I'd try this before you look at replacing the Cat