Quantcast

gearing for a ss 29er?

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I was wonbering what gearing to put on my 29er ss.I use 16/34 on my 26" ss but have no idea what to put on the big wheels.Anyone know what that conversion would be and could tell me how to do the math?Thanks.:biggrin:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
General rule of thumb is +2 teeth in the rear over what you run on your 26" bike. I typically run 32x17 on 26" and alternate between 32x19 and 32x20 on my 29er. The 19 feels about the same but I notice a difference if there's elevation so I've been switching to a 20 for that.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Thanks alot bro.can't wait to try the 29er ss.What differences do you notice in the two bikes?Is the acceleration on the 29 alot slower or do you notice?Also what is the biggest advantage you notice with the 29er?

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
wait.... aren't you 96ering it?
Gearing is totally dependant on your local conditions
I ran 34-19, which was great racing, but not so great JRA.
Made my knees cry, but I am old and beaten up.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Iam going to try it both ways.I have an xcaliber 29er frame and a misfit psycles frame.The misfit has sliding dropouts so I can run them way in to run my 26" rear wheel and run a shorter fork on the front.I would like to get rid of the caliber if you know anyone.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
...The misfit has sliding dropouts so I can run them way in to run my 26" rear wheel and run a shorter fork on the front.I would like to get rid of the caliber if you know anyone.
That's not the way it works. The sliders are for adjusting the chain tension, not wheel diameter.

Putting 26" wheels in a 29er frame will drop the BB height by ~30mm (or 29" wheels in a 26" frame will raise it ~30mm).

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Yep thats right but the sliders will get my chainstays back to a decent length for a 26" wheel ( under me for decent traction).The bottom bracket on this frame runs higher than my 26" by about 13/16 of an inch so it will only be about a qaurter of an inch lower than what I am used to and a larger tire wooudl take care of that.the only problem would be the 1 deg slacker head angle but I have two other forks coming in addition to the one that comes with the frame so I am sure I can get that to feel ok.I just want to try it out to get a feel for both so I know what works for me and than I can get a new frame if need be.