Quantcast

Gearing for SS Commuter

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
Any suggestions for gearing on a commuter ss? Their 700 wheels, an old steel trek I'm gonna convert into a SS for commuting to school. Some steep but short hills and descents. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Byron

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
trialsboy50 said:
Any suggestions for gearing on a commuter ss? Their 700 wheels, an old steel trek I'm gonna convert into a SS for commuting to school. Some steep but short hills and descents. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Byron
42/17 is a good spinner gear, and you should be able to muscle over most hills.

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
HMm, any reason why you guys sugggest 40 something up front? I was thinking like a 36 or 38, but I have no idea why.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
46X17 on my fixie here. i've got the grocery getter/beater at 38X15 fixed, a bit lower, as it carries big loads of groceries and so on. plus, it was what i had around when i built it up.

40+ is good on the front for SS road. lower than that, and you'll spin out veeeery quickly.

use what you have hanging around to start with. ride it a bit, and gear up or down from there.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I rode a 42-17 on 700c this summer largely because it was the best fit of chainline and chainstay fit out of what was on the cogset -my mother destroyed the der. It worked rather well, decent acceleration and climbing (even super steep stuff, for me) and a good top speed on the roads. You should be cruising at 110rpm anyway:)