Quantcast

Gearing help

motomike894

Chimp
Sep 24, 2007
Northern Indiana
I just got my new Identiti P-45 today and took it riding around town, etc.

The stock gearing is 32-14, and its a little hard to get going at first, I do not know much about changing gear ratios on Bicycles, since I am a Motocrosser, I know its different, this is my first DJ bike.

It has 24" wheels too if that matters.

Any help would be great, I am going to be riding around town and on tight DJ trails, and thats pretty much it, so I dont need to set any land speed records.

Thanks.

Also does anyone have on of these bikes, and if so what do you think of them I got a pretty good deal on it so thats what I got.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I just got my new Identiti P-45 today and took it riding around town, etc.

The stock gearing is 32-14, and its a little hard to get going at first, I do not know much about changing gear ratios on Bicycles, since I am a Motocrosser, I know its different, this is my first DJ bike.

It has 24" wheels too if that matters.

Any help would be great, I am going to be riding around town and on tight DJ trails, and thats pretty much it, so I dont need to set any land speed records.

Thanks.

Also does anyone have on of these bikes, and if so what do you think of them I got a pretty good deal on it so thats what I got.

The key to gear ratio is the formula:

Front Sprocket Teeth //// Divided by/////... Rear Sprocket...XXXX Multiplied by Wheel Size==== Equals "Gear Inches."

32/14 X 24 = 54.8. That's pretty good. 55 is considered the classic bmx gear inches and is basically mid-range. Not too spinny, not too hard.

If you don't have a calculator.... Windows XP ---> START --> ALL PROGRAMS ---> ACCESSORIES --> CALCULATOR.. no excuse.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
or just put a smaller front ring or a larger rear ring to make pedaling easier .. but remember the trade off is less top out speed

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
That gear calculator bumps up the gear inches factoring a wider (and I guess slightly taller) tire... 26 X 2.35. versus 2.125. Interesting....

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Yep, tire circumference is critical to gear inches.
You could probably allow for tire pressure too, if you wanted to get really critical, as low and high pressure can result in slightly smaller or bigger circumference.