Quantcast

gearing question

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I'm getting a gamut soon and im wondering would a 34 tooth with a 12-23 cassette be a good combination? or is it a little too small to go for a 34

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
depends what you are doing, if you are riding dh only go with the 12-23 if you think you might have to pedal the thing go with the 34 or maybe even a 32...

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
its strictly DH I'm just curious if i get a 34 will i be spinning out? I already have the 12-23 im just deciding on a front ring

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I run and recommend a 38 for strictly DH with some racing. Granted, I am far from an elite level racer, but I definitely like to go fast. I ran the 36 for a while. It was OK, but I never touched the top 2 or 3 gears and spent a fair amount of time in the lowest 2 gears. I like to be in the middle of the cassette (better chain line too) with the option to turbo boost if I need it. 38 works great for me.

I definitely would NOT get the 34.

hey, manhattan...where does one find a full size picture of your avatar? I can make out just enough of it that I'm pretty sure I would like it.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I run and recommend a 38 for strictly DH with some racing. Granted, I am far from an elite level racer, but I definitely like to go fast. I ran the 36 for a while. It was OK, but I never touched the top 2 or 3 gears and spent a fair amount of time in the lowest 2 gears. I like to be in the middle of the cassette (better chain line too) with the option to turbo boost if I need it. 38 works great for me.

I definitely would NOT get the 34.

hey, manhattan...where does one find a full size picture of your avatar? I can make out just enough of it that I'm pretty sure I would like it.
what kind of cassette were you running?