Quantcast

Gearing setup for your hardtails

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I don't know if I'm in the right forum for this but I was wondering what kind of setups you guys have in terms of gearing.

I want to rebuild my hardtail (Trek Bruiser 16.5") for all-round riding (DJ, FR, tooling around...but not DH!). I know I'm going to use a rear derailleur but I'm not sure about the front; wether I should scrap the whole front derailleur idea and just keep it to a single ring with chain guide. If I do any climbing at all, I'll make sure I have a large cog in back.

What do you use?

mtnbikeair

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Greensboro NC
I am running a 32 tooth chainring up front, and a 12-30 sram cassette in the back. Its been the perfect gearing for me, but what kind of terrain are you riding on?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm not on any terrain right now...I'll be moving out to BC soon and I wanted to an all-round hardtail.

I figure as long as I can climb a bit (32 in front and 32 in back), I'll be fine with a single chainring.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was actually thinking about that!!...single speed. Super lo-tech and I would run a single rear brake...maybe even a rigid fork! But I still need the bike to be as versatile as possible I need gears.

For discs I was thinking of using mechanical...leave all the hydraulic stuff on my big bike.

mtnbikeair

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Greensboro NC
I think single speeds are becoming overplayed. They are very cool but its starting to become a trend. And we all know you dont want to be THAT guy who gets stuck in a trend.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
What single speeds have been around for a while. Its just easier for street and DJ when you dont have gears that jumble around and ruin your day...if something works good, its not ganna get played out.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
mtnbikeair said:
I think single speeds are becoming overplayed. They are very cool but its starting to become a trend. And we all know you dont want to be THAT guy who gets stuck in a trend.

yea but by not doing it ur also joining the trend of not following the trends just cause its a trend so either way ur screwed.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
You might as well try it as a singlespeed for a while. You can set it up for next to nothing, and if it doesn't work out, put the gears on. I built up a PX Compo this past spring as a singlespeed because I didn't quite have the loot for the X-9 drivetrain I wanted at the time. January, and it's still a singlespeed. It's set up with a Shimano DX cog, some cassette spacers, and a Surly singulator. No pricey SS-specific parts = no sweat swapping gears back on it. I've run both 32:16 and 32:18, and I feel like I can climb fairly well on it, but I don't live in any real mountains.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Oh, also, I've heard you can use sections of pvc pipe as cassette spacers, sort of like a Gusset 1'er setup. I personally think the 1'er is a waste of money, but some kind of chain tensioner ala surly or DMR Tension seeker, is not a waste of money, if you have vertical dropouts. Man, slow night, 8 inches of snow and 8 degrees F. I looovvve cheap and simple bike stuff.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yeah that link doesn't work.

A little while ago I entertained myself by setting up my half-built hardtail with single speed (16t in back, 32t in front). By chance, the chainstay length gave me the perfect chain tension. Looked cool, so silly derailleurs and gears.

I just wish I had an extra $1000 for a Rolhoff hub...then I'd be set!