Quantcast

Gearing? trials/dirtjumping

Yuppie

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Oliver, BC
Im wondering what gearing I should use for trials and dirt jumping. for DJing I was thinking 38-16, but I have no idea about the right ratio for trials. I want to keep the front chainring on when I change the bike over from one to the other (fork, gearing etc.) so what should my rear sprocket be for trials?

also, will a DX bmx sprocket work on an 8 or 9 speed hub with spacers?

by the way my bike is an On One Gimp fully rigis singlespeed with horizontal dropouts and some crazy geometry.....

thanks for the help.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
from memory arn't DX sprockets for use with screw on hubs only?
being a free wheel and all.you can use any shimano sproket on a 8 speed hub if you want to use it for SS, but for spacing I just saw a twenty four seven ad in DIRT mag and they had some real good looking spacers, only one for each side of the sprocket.worth checking out.Or just get a DMR SS hub and then you can run a DX freewheel.

Yankee Tim

Chimp
Aug 21, 2001
Denison, TX
You will be running two totally different gearing setups for Jumping and Trials.

Jumping will be more of a DS setup like before mentioned.

Trials, you'll want a small ring up front like a 22. If you are only going to use one in the rear, go for something around a 19. But, you can do just fine with a standard cassette for the rear. Also, if you are doing any kind of trials, you'll want a bash ring up front too.

Hope this helps.

Yuppie

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Oliver, BC
Originally posted by Yankee Tim
You will be running two totally different gearing setups for Jumping and Trials.

Jumping will be more of a DS setup like before mentioned.

Trials, you'll want a small ring up front like a 22. If you are only going to use one in the rear, go for something around a 19. But, you can do just fine with a standard cassette for the rear. Also, if you are doing any kind of trials, you'll want a bash ring up front too.

Hope this helps.

Ill have a bash ring anyway, but is there any way to achieve the same gearing as 22-19 with a 38t front chainring? how small do sprockets get? see Im not particulairly versed in this type of thing....