Quantcast

Geax tires - looking not so bad

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My bud just pointed out that there were some interesting new Geax tires hitting the trails these days. I took a look at the website and the DH tires are looking strong http://www.geax.com/vedit/pagina.asp~pagina~1904

LOBO MAS LOCO
Built from the ground up for hard punishment and adrenaline rides, the Lobo Mas Loco is a no-compromise performer:
- tall, non-ramped knobs for unparalleled braking (can be turned when it wears out, a
for renewed stopping efficiency);
- Crossbones casing reinforcements, to better stand shocks and frontal impacts;
- Tuned Spring Rate Casing (Heavy Duty) and double hardness compound, the best
technology available;
- its high air volume will make for smooth landings after jumps and serious dropoffs;
- ideal when gravity pulls you down at high speed on shaped trails and loose ground
bike, or to have fun in bike parks.
Fast tyre for "New School" extreme freeriding.

Available in: TNT, UST, Fold.,
Rigid, TNT White Collection
Size: 26x2.50
Weight: from 960 g (Fold.)

Looks kinda Michy
DHEA
Dehydroepiandrosterone, a natural steroid prohormone, is the precursor of testosterone and estrogen. A big mean "meat" for downhilling and aggressive freeriding. Ramped central knobs for a fast rolling tyre, reinforced sidewalls and high volume casing to better cope with rocks and shocks. Sure and safe cornering, fast on berms thanks to the pronounced and aggressive side knobs.
Rigid tubeless: low inflating pressure (down to 1,8 bar) for an outstanding grip.
Top performer on different surfaces, it has different characteristics:

UST: 60 ShA compound and indestructible casing, the ideal tyre for hardpacked
conditions and high speeds;
TNT: 50 ShA compound on lateral knobs and TNT casing allow to perform
at the top on soft grounds and technical paths;
2.30 High Perf.: the ideal tyre for AM.
Light and usable when pedaling, this tyre gets the adrenalin like the other versions when pointed downhill (inflating pres sure: min 2 bar, max 4 bar).

Available in: TNT, UST, Fold., Rigid, TNT Triple Compound
Size: 26x2.30 and 26x2.50
Weight: from 790 g (smallest size, Fold.)

Reminds me of another tread that I can't put my finger on...
edit - I GOT IT!!! WTB-ish tread.

NEURON

"Neuron" is the name for the basic cellular component of the nervous tissue.
It is characterized by a highly polarized, electrically excitable matrix that evolved
with the sole purpose of transmitting nervous information and impulses; the
very same impulses our riders feed the tire when pushing the limits!
A super fast and reliable tire for hardpack and compact terrains, aggressive
tread pattern and heavy duty casing to withstand modern World Cup racing
levels of punishment.
Super low rolling resistance and optimum cornering grip thanks to the lateral knobs with internal cuts for a enhanced soil penetration.
Revolutionary construction allows for use tubeless (thanks to the UST talon) or
tubed; full rigid wire bead prevents air loss and unseating, typical problems in
modern DH racing. Available as Soft Compound or Triple Compound construction.

Available in: Rigid TNT, Rigid UST, Rigid TNT Triple Compound
Size: 26x2.30 and 26x2.50
Weight: from 990 g (smallest size, TNT)

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
My next tires.

Dirt Jumping and Street Riding tyre. Booze is the "missing link" in the Freestyle/Slopestyla Geax offering. BMX style knobs gets top performances on "dirt" hardpacked lines or on Skate parks ground on on the street spots.
Geax own high quality casing makes for a fast rolling and "sure" tyre that are "state of the art" for these disciplines: try to believe. 2.30 section is the optimun compromise between lightness and resistance and give the tyre just the right cushioning to absorb landing (bad and good ones) keeping weight down to record levels (590 g) and delivering perfect grip thanks to the 50 ShA compound.

Available in: Booze Light (Fold.), Booze (Rigid)
Size: 26x2.30
Weight: from 590 g (Booze Light)

:cheers:

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
I've wanted to order a pair of Neuron for riding on weekends, and keep my Minions for racing only.

They seems like a mix of Minion and Ardent.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I have a set of the 2.5 Lobo Mas Loco's. They are great. I would say they work just as good as my old Minions did. Not better but no worse. Shed mud well. HUGE - more like what a 2.7 Maxxis would be. Side walls are a bit softer then Maxxis but seem to hold up to punctures well. Have been riding mine tubeless. Both of mine came under 1000g and roll faster then they look.

Ordered some 2.3 Neuron's for race use. Think they just came in. Will report on them when I get some runs in.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
at 60+ psi, not sure if that extra volume is smoothing out the ride much.

subjectively, I think tires that wide at that high of psi running on hardpacked trails, park or street are less grippy than a thinner tire that cuts through the dust a little more.

a guy I know has that tire on the back of his Mob and can't run his wheel slammed because the rubber is so large.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
My next tires.

Dirt Jumping and Street Riding tyre. Booze is the "missing link" in the Freestyle/Slopestyla Geax offering. BMX style knobs gets top performances on "dirt" hardpacked lines or on Skate parks ground on on the street spots.
Geax own high quality casing makes for a fast rolling and "sure" tyre that are "state of the art" for these disciplines: try to believe. 2.30 section is the optimun compromise between lightness and resistance and give the tyre just the right cushioning to absorb landing (bad and good ones) keeping weight down to record levels (590 g) and delivering perfect grip thanks to the 50 ShA compound.

Available in: Booze Light (Fold.), Booze (Rigid)
Size: 26x2.30
Weight: from 590 g (Booze Light)

:cheers:

These tires are a bit unpredictable and have a harsh ride. And on wet pavement they're deathtraps.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I used to run the Geax Blades on my 4x bike in the mud, and just in general on my XC bike when I lived in Oregon, and I loved them.

Been looking at these more and more for this season. Glad there's a new choice for UST DH out there.