Quantcast

Gee Atherton and Greg Minnaar.. Well done!!

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I noticed the other day after, going through Gee and Greg's comments and twitter updates this season, something very rare at the top level of the sport. After updates such as the following, I was left in awe.
What a season,racing all round the world and it boils down to .37 So stoked to be world cup champion.masive respect to Greg for the battle
-Gee
and
Awesome season, congrats to Gee.... Good season battling it out with him
-Greg.
A very high degree of comradeship and mutual respect that I have never seen before has been shown and this is even more remarkable considering the competitiveness this season! I would just like to publicly congratulate both of them for the amazing degree of respect and credit they have brought to the sport of cycling by being the greatest ambassadors they could be.

Being a self professed staunch supporter of friends and hence, Greg Minnaar, I was gunning for Greg the whole way through and being a sore loser at times, I must say I was somewhat blinded by that. But the respect and sportsmanship Gee has shown this season and in previous encounters, especially during our lengthy conversation we had when he was in SA for the world cup last year. Being a comparative no body, he was more than happy to indulge in friendly conversation for a few hours with me when I know he had more important things to do.

With this conduct, I have retained my faith in professional level sports and admire both Greg And Gee greatly. With ambassadors of this caliber at the head of our sport, I cannot help but know our sport has great things lined up in the future!

Last edited:

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
yes yes its nice to see and whatnot but does anyone else besides me miss the Palmer days? Maybe its just me but the sport is almost TOO friendly, there needs to be at least one person in the top 10 that starts some controversy and show off a huge ego (of course they need to back it up on the track though)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
yes yes its nice to see and whatnot but does anyone else besides me miss the Palmer days? Maybe its just me but the sport is almost TOO friendly, there needs to be at least one person in the top 10 that starts some controversy and show off a huge ego (of course they need to back it up on the track though)
I think we need to decide what would be better for the sport? Would controversy bring more sponsors to the sport or put them off and label it immature (Ive been hearing this part more, lately). I think what we need are personalities, not real controversy. Though really all the sports that made it didnt really do it that way.

Personaly - I idolised Palm as a kid but whats wrong with being friendly? Actualy there is quite enough animosity in the pits, if you race you should know it.

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
i see and understand your points and actually i do agree with you nearly completely, i guess i am just talking out of what i personally would like to see not what would be best for the sport all together. I am too young and came into the sport too late to have experienced that Palmer days but i always hear these stories about him and i guess i just really want to see it for myself.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I think DH has defined itself as a niche sport. I don't really see that changing regardless of how big the personalities are. The Palmer days were during the emergence of extreme sports.
I do see it growing, just not like most people would care to have it grow. I've been managing a bike shop for 3 years now. When I started there were a lesser percentage of people that knew/had heard of downhill than there are now. Downhill is growing up, in some ways selling out, but i think the bike industry as a whole and downhill as a sport will evolve together. The big companies are putting out more products to try and meet every part of the extreme end of biking. I do feel that downhill will get back into x-games and receive more exposure and it's nice to see the big names being great ambassadors to the sport. That always goes a long way

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Who's to say that crap is even genuine? It's all about keeping up appearances. If they didn't do that, everyone on here would be whinging about how their attitude needs work bla bla bla (I remember a certain three-time world champion copping plenty of flak).

I think the real well done goes to him! A whole season off the bike and the man walks away with tears in his eyes and the stripes on his back.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Sabrina and Emeline Ragot and i think one or two of the other girls also deserve an honorable mention for their reaction to Tracey Mosely winning the worlds, they were clearly genuinely happy for her.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Who's to say that crap is even genuine? It's all about keeping up appearances. If they didn't do that, everyone on here would be whinging about how their attitude needs work bla bla bla (I remember a certain three-time world champion copping plenty of flak).
i agree. im sure its all a facade to help market themselves better.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Well, there is honor in a facade as well. That's what we call good sportsmanship. Nobody is going to be happy with losing, but burying that to congratulate the other guy is very respectable IMO.

Agree, Sabrina has a heart of gold! She was genuinely happy for Tmo.

Pearson - agree with you as well. The sport is strong and growing in the UK, and it looks like things are picking up here in the USA as well. I think steady growth is likely, but I don't ever expect the sport to break out into the mainstream, it just doesn't have that kind of appeal. And I don't mind that a bit.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Personally I don't even want it to break into mainstream. There are enough groms who ruin tracks cause they can't ride them now. I think if it got too big it would just go bad. Sure there may be some upsides, but the downsides of crowded parks with mediocre tracks would outweigh.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Personally I don't even want it to break into mainstream. There are enough groms who ruin tracks cause they can't ride them now. I think if it got too big it would just go bad. Sure there may be some upsides, but the downsides of crowded parks with mediocre tracks would outweigh.
Im really undecided if I want for the sport to go mainstream or not. The parks would not loose for sure. Look at the quality of many winter resorts. Im pretty sure it got better with the growth of the sport, not the other way around. More money means more trails, better trails (competition eh?) and better trail maitanance. Thats not really a problem. The propblem with going mainstream is in my opinion that the sport may become more anonymous and the bike community will not be there. I remember when I started snowboarding that every person with a board was your friend, maybe not everyone was supper friendly but the attitude was kinda similar to what we have here now. The real question is do we want to sacrifice it for better, cheaper and more trails, cheaper gear and other perks that come with cash.