Quantcast

Gee atherton injured?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
its only as i turn 30 in a few months... that i start to really see the danger in downhill :D

i was thinking about that around the time of cedric gracia´s crash.

then, it became more clear, as i realized, that at any given moment over the last 4 years... there was at least one guy with a cast, nursing multiples stitches or in phys rehab, not to mention a few extended stays in ICU, out of my riding group of 20 guys....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i'm pretty sure matti is the one and only. Dude just broke his leg or something at MSA.

But yeah, thats pretty rough for gee if he really is broken again

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
i'm pretty sure matti is the one and only. Dude just broke his leg or something at MSA.

But yeah, thats pretty rough for gee if he really is broken again
Seriously? Is Matti made out of glass? I feel bad for the guy but maybe its time to retire. Whatever the case, i hope both Gee and Matti heal up quick.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Seriously? Is Matti made out of glass? I feel bad for the guy but maybe its time to retire. Whatever the case, i hope both Gee and Matti heal up quick.
i don't know if "made of glass" is the proper use of the term when somebody piledrives head first into the ground from 4-5 feet up and breaks their neck. I think the dude has pretty proportional injuries to crashes, he just has worse crashes then most people.

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Try turning 40
its only as i turn 30 in a few months... that i start to really see the danger in downhill :D

then, it became more clear, as i realized, that at any given moment over the last 4 years... there was at least one guy with a cast, nursing multiples stitches or in phys rehab, not to mention a few extended stays in ICU, out of my riding group of 20 guys....

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
it's plain boring. It wouldn't be that bad acutally if CG would mix it up with some stly. At least the last two races where dramatic behind gwin.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver

I know how ya feel. I'm 32 and noticed this recently too. My DH group of friends has far more injuries than anyone else, I guess they are so common people just get used to it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He wins like Americans expect to win: Always, and in dominating fashion. I'm guessing that the non-Americans don't like that.
Aaron is the nicest guy out there and put in the work. It just gets a bit anti-climactic when guys cross the line with only him to go... and their times are 2 secs down on his qualifying time! ha.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
it's plain boring. It wouldn't be that bad acutally if CG would mix it up with some stly. At least the last two races where dramatic behind gwin.
YT needs to invest some of their profits back into the sport and produce a contender.
It might result in higher sales prices, but you're OK with that if it makes good racing, right?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
YT needs to invest some of their profits back into the sport and produce a contender.
It might result in higher sales prices, but you're OK with that if it makes good racing, right?
So Trek produced Gwin? I knew this guy couldn't be human.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So Trek produced Gwin? I knew this guy couldn't be human.
Or they sponsored him and gave him the support (like top notch bikes, full time mechanic, trainers) that he needed to raise his riding level from inconsistent top 10 finishes to consistent top 1 finishes.

Maybe YT could do the same.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Or they sponsored him and gave him the support (like top notch bikes, full time mechanic, trainers) that he needed to raise his riding level from inconsistent top 10 finishes to consistent top 1 finishes.

so you comparing a small biz like yt with a world leader like trek? they do sponsor riders, just on another level:

http://www.yt-industries.com/de/world-of-yt/riders/

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

Ah, I see. It's the bike, not the rider..........pfffft

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Gwin deserves all that has come to him. The sport is lucky to have him. About an hour before his Windham race win, he took time to show my son and daughter his bike and spoke with them about what they like to to do. Just a class act all the way around.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Gwin deserves all that has come to him. The sport is lucky to have him. About an hour before his Windham race win, he took time to show my son and daughter his bike and spoke with them about what they like to to do. Just a class act all the way around.
I think its great to see an American back up there...and I like to watch Gwin not only win but CRUSH the competition. Seeing the bar raised like that is great and why I watch DH. I've never understood why that bothered people.

CRFRDH

Chimp
Jul 23, 2009
Costa Rica, Heredia
I second that...have not met him personally, but regardles of the flag of the country you represent, this deserves massive respect, that is where you differentiate a rider from a profesional rider...and even though is boring to see him win every race, he truly deserves it, and further most, he is a really humble person, a family person ( you saw his smiley face when their family members went to see him )....

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Same thought...would this be a tactic heading into the final run of the CUP...?
his injury was diagnosed to be a non-injury a few days after this thread started - i don't think anyone ever mentioned that here, so whatever tactics you may be thinking i highly doubt.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
I thought Gee's injury was the day after he won the national champs. You can ride pretty quick after blowing an acl but I'd recommend doing it with a cti type brace as your knee will pop really easily.